Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My buddy is having to replace his Metzeler tire before returning home

Three of us rode from eastern NC to KY, part of the American Legion Legacy Run and now a day and a half in Cherokee and around Deal's Gap/Cherohala Skyway/Moonshine 28.

My buddy, also on a 2008, was noticing that one of the roads was especially bad and we hadn't noticed anything. After looking at his front tire, he's arranged to get a new tire in Asheville on the way home tomorrow.

Here's what his Metzeler tire looks like all the way around both sides of the tire. The arrows show the break at various points.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	4473 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	4474
    Attached Files
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Do you have any idea what pressure your friend was running?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

That's not good! Tell him to get a Bridgestone up front.
      """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
      I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

Amen on the Bridgestone.

How old is that tire?
          John

Dark Sider 1020
          Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
          Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Your boyfriend had the wrong tyre fitted. Metz make GL1800 specific tyres. If it isn't marked GL Bugger off and winge somewhere else.
            GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

To answer several questions, he got the in-the-store-computer-recommended tire from a Honda dealer ~2 years ago. He runs the Honda recommended pressure (saw him double-check his pressure against the inner lid tag to make sure.

And Kiwi, that's new military. I'm old military. My two also retired military buddies will head back to eastern NC today as I head out further to meet up with my wife to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

Originally posted by CaseyK View Post
                Do you have any idea what pressure your friend was running?
                In regards to tire pressure as long as a tire is in an acceptable range, even if over inflated when it comes to this brand of tire, to have problems with them is quite common.

In the long association with motorcycles when I was riding such as Honda Shadows and Suzuki Intruders, sport bikes and a Harley Sportster tires simply wore out, they did not crack, chunks of rubber did not fly out of the tread and injury or loss of life due to tire problems was not even a consideration.

When I became involved in heavy touring bikes things did change. It is common to have tire problems with heavy machines and over the years I have known quite a few friends and those we all hear about losing life or becoming severely injured due to a tire failure and or blow out. Metzeler is always a topic of discussion and one of the major brands that does experience tire failures.

It is though rare for such a problem to be with a front tire. There is much less weight and stress on the front, so normally front tires pose no risk. This one in the photos shows great cause for concern, and if a front was to blow the sidewall, that would not be a good thing. Someone would die or get seriously hurt.

To be fair all brands have problems with the rear tires, from cupping to actual failure regardless of tire pressure. Also on a heavy touring bike with 200 miles between fuel stops a loss of 10 psi in a tire for whatever reason can cause the tire to heat up and blow out, and it happens each year to someone we know or have met in life.

Years of experience and current knowledge simply says, that a Stone for the front is mostly without problems, and a ROF CT is the safest tire known for the rear.

Over many years the tire brand Metzeler has always had problems, much more than just rumor or tales around the camp fire, there are many photos and articles of truth involving these tires.

None of it is the riders fault, experienced riders do know to check their tires and tire pressures, yea some get a bit slack at times, but a good well constructed tire unless completely abused should withstand a few things. Just like the four wheel car you see running around town with a low tire, they may run around like that for two weeks, and finally say..........my tire is low and air it up. The tire is fine, it is not cracked and it is not damaged.

Motorcycle tires on heavy bikes simply are not made with adequate construction to handle the heat and the weight. It is rare to see a defective front tire on a motorcycle, but I am not at all surprised given the brand of this new example.

Originally posted by Kit Carson View Post

In regards to tire pressure as long as a tire is in an acceptable range, even if over inflated when it comes to this brand of tire, to have problems with them is quite common.

In the long association with motorcycles when I was riding such as Honda Shadows and Suzuki Intruders, sport bikes and a Harley Sportster tires simply wore out, they did not crack, chunks of rubber did not fly out of the tread and injury or loss of life due to tire problems was not even a consideration.

When I became involved in heavy touring bikes things did change. It is common to have tire problems with heavy machines and over the years I have known quite a few friends and those we all hear about losing life or becoming severely injured due to a tire failure and or blow out. Metzeler is always a topic of discussion and one of the major brands that does experience tire failures.

It is though rare for such a problem to be with a front tire. There is much less weight and stress on the front, so normally front tires pose no risk. This one in the photos shows great cause for concern, and if a front was to blow the sidewall, that would not be a good thing. Someone would die or get seriously hurt.

To be fair all brands have problems with the rear tires, from cupping to actual failure regardless of tire pressure. Also on a heavy touring bike with 200 miles between fuel stops a loss of 10 psi in a tire for whatever reason can cause the tire to heat up and blow out, and it happens each year to someone we know or have met in life.

Years of experience and current knowledge simply says, that a Stone for the front is mostly without problems, and a ROF CT is the safest tire known for the rear.

Over many years the tire brand Metzeler has always had problems, much more than just rumor or tales around the camp fire, there are many photos and articles of truth involving these tires.

None of it is the riders fault, experienced riders do know to check their tires and tire pressures, yea some get a bit slack at times, but a good well constructed tire unless completely abused should withstand a few things. Just like the four wheel car you see running around town with a low tire, they may run around like that for two weeks, and finally say..........my tire is low and air it up. The tire is fine, it is not cracked and it is not damaged.

Motorcycle tires on heavy bikes simply are not made with adequate construction to handle the heat and the weight. It is rare to see a defective front tire on a motorcycle, but I am not at all surprised given the brand of this new example.

Well Kit, I don't know this rider that is why I asked the question. Now that you have enlightened me, I will never ask questions again.

Originally posted by CaseyK View Post
                    Well Kit, I don't know this rider that is why I asked the question. Now that you have enlightened me, I will never ask questions again.
                    Awe, do not go getting your feelins hurt, there is a lot to learn about tires, riders, and various things. Some do not give good consideration to keeping air in their tires, and some do show up with a nail in the tire, or with a tire completely bald. There is for sure rider error. Or shall we say rider failure.

Overall though this brand of tire has many, many documented failures and most are seen by those who do check air pressures and do keep an eye on tires.

My last rear motorcycle tire was an AVON, it had about 4000 miles on it when the sidewall bubbled.

You just have to check them every day. These bikes are heavy and with the tire trapped up in the wheel well a lot of heat builds up also.

Front tires are generally OK, only a couple times in many years have I seen a problem with a front tire, regardless of its care. That is very rare. It is not rare however to see documented reports of problems with this brand of tire seen in the photos.

Bump. Thanks for the pics Clay. Was that a Metzeler 880 or an 888?
                      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I'll ask.

He'll have to locate the receipt to be sure, but he thinks he remembers it was an 880.

I sure hope so; I bought the 888's last week
                            George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page