What benefit is there to joining AMA Certainly not their magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What benefit is there to joining AMA Certainly not their magazine

I'm not sure why I joined this ... "AMA" it seems to center around legislation and bills I never new had so much to do with motorcycling. Like the extinction of a grouse is that one of species on a Motorcyclist diet during a trip. I truly get tired of outcropped topics why does our government have its 20 digit fingers on everything... I guess so AMA can write a magazine that does nothing but give warnings about riding your bike ...the most freedom sought life style on the road. I wish I knew ahead of time about COHVCO and NOHVCC and NHTSA and lets not forget NDAA HR3979. Are these really what a motorcyclist thinks about??? I'm sorry I joined this "Band of Bothersome s"

From the street to the track to the trail, millions of Americans enjoy motorcycling. Some ride to work every day. Others ride for pleasure on weekends. Many ride off-road, or journey to places near and far. Still more seek the thrill of competition.

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion.

Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. AMA members receive money saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. The AMA is everything motorcycle.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have been a member for over 25 years (LIFE MEMBER NOW). One of the best benefits is the free roadside assistance. Not only covers the bike, but anything you drive, Covers your entire immediate family also. There are also a lot of discounts offered through a lot of different companies. I used the AMA card to get a discount on a motel room last year on my way to upstate NY. I think I saved 15% on the room.
      They fight for your right to ride: fighting against motorcycle only checkpoints, ethanol in gas, among many others. $49 a year is inexpensive considering what you can get if you look close.
      Sure the magazine may not rival some of the others, but it is free and has a lot of good information in it.
      Visit the Motorcycle Hall of Fame. I was impressed and I'm sure everyone who has visited shares my appreciation of what the AMA actually does for us.

Richard: I can understand your outlook, but the AMA is rhe ONLY organization that fights for YOU as a motorcyclist- I don't ride where the grouse live either, but I appreciate the, protecting thise motorcyclists that do. A couple years ago in the cycle shop I heard a guy complaining about the infamous NY State motorcycle only checkpoints on the way to Americade. Wouldn't you like your tax dollars spent in a better fashion? Ever been stopped at one of thise? There's so much "behind the scenes" that we don't think about- same as BOAT/US protects the boating public when no one else gives a rat's ass! Pay your $49 a year- thinkmof it as an i vestment in your future riding pleasure.

I was a member - thought I'd give it a try. Not renewing for most of the reasons the OP stated. I have GWRRA Rescue Plus and my military discount - I'm good to go, thank you very much.
          FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
          "06 GL1800 w/Motor Trike conv.
          GWRRA KY - G

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"President John F. Kennedy

That is such a short sighted attitude. Joining the AMA gives motorcyclists a 'voice' in Washington DC and in the state legislators as well.

Without a group lobbying effort, the much fewer numbers of MC riders would be at the 'mercy' of the non-riding public. Banding together to protect your rights to ride, either on or off road, is important IF you want to freely ride your MC,

I remember a push years ago to ban MCs on paved roads in National Parks & National Forests due to noise. Without an advocacy group that we support with yearly dues, we could lose riding rights.

The dues money goes to operation costs, watch dog efforts, getting the news out, and lobbying.

The magazine is just a fancy newsletter. The real value is to join to suport MC rights.

Just like I join many other organizations to protect my rights, like the NRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, American Sand Association, etc. To protect my rights that other want to take away.
            2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
            My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

I think the most important reasons to belong to the AMA have been noted in the posts above. But if you are looking for more financial rewards the AMA has partnered with many other folks to offer discounts on prodcucts such as EagleRider Rental discounts, Federal Shipping of motorcycles, Bohn body armour, Bike Bandit where you could save the annual cost of AMA on parts and accessories alone, Rider Magazine, Schampa Cold Weather Gear, TomTom GPS and even Sam's Club among others.

The real reason I am a member is the AMA does work to protect my right to ride. Do I agree with all of its stands and positions---NO but overall it is the only national organization in the USA that is interested in protecting our right to ride motorcycles.
              Harvey
              Ride Safe and Ride Often

• azsandrider
                azsandrider commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said.

Originally posted by azsandrider View Post
              That is such a short sighted attitude. Joining the AMA gives motorcyclists a 'voice' in Washington DC and in the state legislators as well.

Without a group lobbying effort, the much fewer numbers of MC riders would be at the 'mercy' of the non-riding public. Banding together to protect your rights to ride, either on or off road, is important IF you want to freely ride your MC,

I remember a push years ago to ban MCs on paved roads in National Parks & National Forests due to noise. Without an advocacy group that we support with yearly dues, we could lose riding rights.

The dues money goes to operation costs, watch dog efforts, getting the news out, and lobbying.

The magazine is just a fancy newsletter. The real value is to join to suport MC rights.

Just like I join many other organizations to protect my rights, like the NRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, American Sand Association, etc. To protect my rights that other want to take away.
              Very well stated AZ!

I have been a member of the AMA for 19 years (just got my pin in the mail yesterday) and I joined because the AMA is fighting for motorcyclists' rights in Washington D.C.. And the AMA aids state motorcycle rights organizations (SMRO) with legislation at the State level also. I feel so strongly about motorcycle rights, I belong to three groups, the AMA, the MRF and ABATE. Someone above mentioned that the AMA is the only group fighting for our rights in Washington, but there is another group also doing that. The MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation) has an office and a full-time lobbyist in D.C. and does great work on our behalf.

Even if the AMA didn't offer all those great discounts, I'd still be a member. But the one I use most often is the 15% discount with the Choice Hotel chain which includes Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Econo Lodge, Clarion Inn and several others. I easily save enough money on room rates every year to pay for my annual AMA membership dues.

I was a member for 3 years. Dropped it about 3 years ago. No benefit that I could see and a weak magazine. I do support some of their lobby efforts.
                GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I joined about 1 1/2 years ago after reading about all the great things the AMA was doing on the "other" website.

All I saw was articles reporting issues that AMA considered threats to rider's rights. I'm not aware of anything they accomplished such as stopping motorcycle only roadside inspections. Simply identifying laws and actions unfavorable to motorcycle riders and reporting them in the magazine is unlikely to put an end to them. I decided not to renew. Not worth my $40 a year.

I prefer the Iron Butt and other motorcycle touring magazines.
                  Harvey Barlow
                  Crosby County, TX
                  2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
                  2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

We are Life Members of GWRRA. I always enjoyed their Wing World magazine but the last year or 2, it has gone down hill too. Nothing of interest in it any more.
                    T.A. Jens
                    The Pizza Man
                    1800 06 White Champion Trike
                    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                    GWRRA Life Member

HBarlow, I certainly understand how you prefer the action of Iron Butt Magazine to the slow workings of the AMA. We all have to remember that to get a bill through Congress to become a law requires a coalition of a lot of folks. Unfortunately these things do not happen quickly and when federal legislation is finally passed outlawing motorcycle only checkpoints at the federal level, it will be accomplished by the efforts of many folks and not just the AMA. Remember, most of those folks in Congress have never and will never ride a motorcycle so they don't really care about us.

We also forget that the AMA working with other groups has been able to get laws passed in a number of states outlawing motorcycling only checkpoints. But again these require time and the creation of a coalition of folks to gain passage. I am just thankful that we have a group there in DC representing motorcyclists and paying attention to the many laws and regulations that effect us. Honestly looking to the future with "smart roadways" and computer operated vehicles, where do motorcycles fit in, or do they? This is a key question for our future and the AMA is right in the middle of it. Fortunately the AMA is watching what happens with the preservation of the grouse and its effect and the effect of laws and regulations to protect it on motorcyclist especially those who ride offroad.

Harvey
                      Ride Safe and Ride Often

• HBarlow
                        HBarlow commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't disagree with your side of the argument but results are convincing, rhetoric is not. If AMA provided a long list of their accomplishments I might be persuaded. After a year of reading their magazines I didn't see evidence of their effectiveness.

I belong to the AMA for the same reason I'm a NRA Member - Without either What little money I have would not get my voice heard in washington - but with a lot of like minded members money at least my money can have some input.
                      Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                        HBarlow, I certainly understand how you prefer the action of Iron Butt Magazine to the slow workings of the AMA. We all have to remember that to get a bill through Congress to become a law requires a coalition of a lot of folks. Unfortunately these things do not happen quickly and when federal legislation is finally passed outlawing motorcycle only checkpoints at the federal level, it will be accomplished by the efforts of many folks and not just the AMA. Remember, most of those folks in Congress have never and will never ride a motorcycle so they don't really care about us.

We also forget that the AMA working with other groups has been able to get laws passed in a number of states outlawing motorcycling only checkpoints. But again these require time and the creation of a coalition of folks to gain passage. I am just thankful that we have a group there in DC representing motorcyclists and paying attention to the many laws and regulations that effect us. Honestly looking to the future with "smart roadways" and computer operated vehicles, where do motorcycles fit in, or do they? This is a key question for our future and the AMA is right in the middle of it. Fortunately the AMA is watching what happens with the preservation of the grouse and its effect and the effect of laws and regulations to protect it on motorcyclist especially those who ride offroad.
                        Excellent post Harvey. You eloquently stated why every motorcyclist should be a member of at least one MRO (Motorcycle Rights Organization). The two main ones at the Federal level are the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) and the MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation). Of those two, the AMA is the better known and has a larger membership, but the MRF also does great work in D.C. on behalf of motorcyclists. The AMA has a broader focus which includes racing, off-road, and street riders. The MRF is more narrowly focused on just the street riders only.

Almost every state has a SMRO (State Motorcycle Rights Organization) and the best known of these is probably ABATE, but there are others like the MMA (Massachusetts Motorcycle Association). I belong to the AMA, MRF and ABATE of the Garden State (NJ) and I am the Legislative Coordinator for the later. ABATE was successful in getting a Bill introduced in the NJ Legislature in 2014 which will put a stop to motorcycle-only checkpoints in NJ. It passed with a unanimous vote in the General Assembly last December and it just passed unanimously in our Senate earlier this month. All that remains now is for the Governor to sign it into law and NJ riders will not have to worry about this discriminatory practice in our state.

I believe very strongly in motorcycle rights. I support three groups with both time and money. I'm not saying this to toot my own horn, but rather because I feel like it's important for me to help preserve the sport of motorcycling and freedom of the road not only for us present-day riders, but also for future generations of riders. The problem I have encountered when I go around to speak at motorcycle club meetings is that a lot of motorcyclists know that whether they belong to one of these groups or not, the efforts of a few dedicated members will benefit all riders. It's like the old saying about a rising tide lifting all boats. But personally, I feel better being part of the solution.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X