Canada ride suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada ride suggestions

I know nothing about riding in Canada. I am considering a road trip this summer, going through Montana. Would love to see some of the Canadian Rockies, or just ride good roads in Canada. Open to any suggestions.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Several years ago did just what you are asking about. Went to Glacier NP and rode the Going to the Sun road both ways, went into Waterton Park in Alberta. From there went to Canmore Alberta and through all of the NPs in the Canadian Rockies. Fantastic trip, scenery is unbelievable, people are very friendly. Take lots of money, it is very expensive but that is to be expected in that part of the world. Ice fields parkway is a great ride, again unbelievable scenery. Some day would like to take the same trip again. Hope this helps, brings back some great memories.

Crabby Bob

Retired and riding a Goldwing - Life is good!
    2001 Gl1800A - Illusion Red
    DS # 1258 - Double Darkside

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

If you can stay off Highway 1 you will avoid the heavy traffic for the most part.
      2013 Black F6B

This page is a summary of several trips we have done: http://cnrepperson.com/motorcycles/trips/index.php There are a couple of trips into Canada. I highly recommend all the roads we did in Canada. There is a cruise boat on Waterton Lake and we took the evening cruise. We saw several Moma bears and their cubs which was well worth the ticket itself.

Remember:
        1. No firearms allowed
        2. Speeds are in Kilometers and in general their speeds are slower than you will find in the States
        3. You will need a Canadian endorsement on you bike insurance
        4. You will need a Passport for entry and re-entry
        5. When crossing the border each way, one bike at a time at the booth unless directed otherwise and remove helmet.
        6. Keep your eye out for criders (bear, elk, moose, deer), they can ruin your trip

Any questions just PM me.

Roy

Chris, give serious consideration to joining others on this forum that will be riding in the 40th annual SCMA Three Flags Classic. We will be starting in San Diego, and endinf on Vancouver Island, in Victoria. We will be doing a lot of miles in British Columbia this year.
          IBA Member # 3005...over 30+ years
          IBA Certified Million Mile Rider
          **Lightning Strike Survivor**

First point: wIth your dollar being strong you will find buying things a bit of a bargain.

A suggestion: One of the top ten most scenic roads in the world as judged by National Geographic is the Ice Fields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. It is Hwy 93 on the maps and between these to towns it will take all day. Actually riding time is less than 4 hours but you WILL want to, no make that NEED to, stop and take some photos.

I've done it many times and it is a complete different viewing pleasure riding north versus south. If you have the time I'd recommend riding to Jasper, staying the night and then riding south the next day. If you get an early start (before 8:00 am) then the first two hours or longer the road will be yours pretty much alone.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
              I know nothing about riding in Canada. I am considering a road trip this summer, going through Montana. Would love to see some of the Canadian Rockies, or just ride good roads in Canada. Open to any suggestions.

You should really enjoy it out there. The scenery is spectacular and riding is amazing! On another note...currently your money (US) is worth about 15-20% more than our money. This means when you go to a dollar store, an item will cost you 80-85 cents...what a bargin.
              Florida Prowler #26 -
              Darksider #933 90,000 miles and counting
              Keep the shiney side up!

Originally posted by John in YVR View Post
                First point: wIth your dollar being strong you will find buying things a bit of a bargain.

A suggestion: One of the top ten most scenic roads in the world as judged by National Geographic is the Ice Fields Parkway between Banff and Jasper. It is Hwy 93 on the maps and between these to towns it will take all day. Actually riding time is less than 4 hours but you WILL want to, no make that NEED to, stop and take some photos.

I've done it many times and it is a complete different viewing pleasure riding north versus south. If you have the time I'd recommend riding to Jasper, staying the night and then riding south the next day. If you get an early start (before 8:00 am) then the first two hours or longer the road will be yours pretty much alone.
                If you are going to be in the Banff area go to Takakkaw Falls.

http://www.field.ca/yohonationalpark/waterfalls/

2005 Silver Bullet

Well Chris, you can spend years riding the roads around BC.

The short answer is to pick up a destination highway guide for BC and sit down with your wife and pick and choose the roads and destinations you two find interesting.
                  One of my favorates is the ride north of Vancover, to Whistler, Pemerton, Duffly Lake. Try to hit Vancouver on a Sunday when the traffic just sucks!
                  Also the East Rockies are very high and friggen cold when the weather is bad. Electric Jacket Liners and gloves really help even in summer.
                  Unless you are a group of Fire Fighters on Harleys from Phoenix AZ., who reported just loving the full on AC of the Canadian Rockies!

Here are some decent rides.

https://goo.gl/maps/56nSf
                  https://goo.gl/maps/CHYxG
                  https://goo.gl/maps/CVuzr

Vancouver Island is great, if you want to get off the mainland. Very busy in the summer but fun. Let me know if you are heading over here and I will be happy to give you lots of ideas of roads to ride on.

2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
                  DS 1126
                  95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

If you get a chance take the ferry over to Victoria BC and ride up the island. There are some beautiful senic sites along the way.

Wayne

Banff to Jasper!!!! Recommend taking the ski lift up at Mt Norquay just outside Banff and the gondola at Jasper as well. Both offer incredible vistas !

I realize it is unrelated but if you ever get to eastern Canada, riding the Cabot Trail around the north rim of Nova Scotia is a great ride. One of the prettiest routes I have ever ridden.
                        Harvey
                        Ride Safe and Ride Often

• bbalzer
                          bbalzer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is exactly what I plan on doing the 2nd week of September!
                      Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page