Anyone here have the airbag model, whether new or used?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have the airbag model, whether new or used?

Was the option of the airbag your reason for buying the bike?
    After so many miles do you still feel the extra money for the airbag was worth the expense?
    Has it ever deployed and if so under what conditions?
    Would you buy another airbag model?
    "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Yep ! After a few years without....started shopping for a used wing in 2008. Prices where high and cost for new was not that big a leap. When the SO read about the airbag option....and we watched YOUTUBE videos of the Goldwing airbag in action, the decision was made. I am a daily commuter weather permitting. For me.....it provides a level of protection that I would/will pay for again. I hope to buy new again in a couple years. WHEN (not if) the all new Goldwing comes out (holding my breath as I write this) ....

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

2010 airbag.
      I drove wreckers for some time when I was younger and have seen enough to know that airbags do work.
      This is actually my second airbag Wing. The first one burned with my house and I didn't give it a second though when I bought the one I have now, so yes, I still think it's worth the extra cost.

I wanted an airbag model when I bought my used GW 3.5 yrs ago but I couldn't find any with low miles, properly 'farkled', at the price point I needed.....

If I was buying now, I would absolutely get an air bag model. Most MC collisions are vehicle pulling out or turn in front of the MC so the air bag WILL save you from serious and possibly fatal injuries.

I'm a retired collision re-constructionist and motor officer. I've investigated many serious & fatal MC collisions. The air bag would have helped a lot....Ironically, I never investigated a seroius or fatal wreck involving a GW, and in Arizona, there are a lot of GWs running around...no BMWs either.....mostly HDs and crotch rockets...hmmm....
        2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
        My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Yes, we bought a 2008 Airbag (all new in 2010 for $20K). Yes we will do it again when the time comes. I have never heard about an accidental deployment of the Airbag but I have read about three different occasions where in a real accident it either saved a life or lessened body injury (one here in Florida, one with a German bike magazine tester and one in the Southern California Inland Empire).

Downsides to the Airbag include: price, loss of storage, extra weight (only a couple pounds), difficulty in finding certain accessories (notably the fork brace) while other accessories should be avoided (drink holder on the handlebar, tank bags, etc).

Upside is pretty simple, it can save your life! I'm a pretty cautious rider but it only takes one red light runner to change your day.

I feel that information like this is important to talk about and get out into the public arena so that others can make an informed decision on whether to buy a GL with an airbag, that could ultimately lead to saving lives and less serious injuries. There might be people out there, who drop in and read this forum, but are not members, who own a GL without an airbag and are looking to upgrade to a newer bike (new or used) and be shying away from an airbag bike. Also, the SO/wife might be more really to give an okay to purchase a newer bike equipped with an airbag knowing the rider will be offered a level of protection not found on non-airbag bikes.
            "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

I bought a low mile (2,000) used level 1 2010 bike after looking for a used airbag bike at my price point & no add ons. A drunk driver in a Suburban pulled out in front of me in January 2013. I hit him in the door with the 2010 bike. An airbag bike would have been nice in that crash. When I bought a new 1800 , I bought a 2013 airbag bike 5 months after my crash
              2013 Red Airbag 1800

Originally posted by Tony in AZ View Post
                I bought a low mile (2,000) used level 1 2010 bike after looking for a used airbag bike at my price point & no add ons. A drunk driver in a Suburban pulled out in front of me in January 2013. I hit him in the door with the 2010 bike. An airbag bike would have been nice in that crash. When I bought a new 1800 , I bought a 2013 airbag bike 5 months after my crash
                Such are the stories that can really help to change how we think and what we buy.

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post
                  I feel that information like this is important to talk about and get out into the public arena so that others can make a an informed decision on whether to buy a GL with an airbag, that could ultimately lead to saving lives and less serious injuries. There might be people out there, who drop in and read this forum, but are not members, who own a GL without an airbag and are looking to upgrade to a newer bike (new or used) and be shying away from an airbag bike. Also, the SO/wife might be more really to give an okay to purchase a newer bike equipped with an airbag knowing the rider will be offered a level of protection not found on non-airbag bikes.
                  That was exactly our experience as a couple. Once we discovered the airbag was an option and witnessed (videos) it's effectiveness, the decision was obvious for us. >>> If you are on the fence, I highly recommend searching YOUTUBE and watching Goldwing Airbag videos. I haven't searched in quite a while, hopefully there are more.

Originally posted by Rollin View Post

That was exactly our experience as a couple. Once we discovered the airbag was an option and witnessed (videos) it's effectiveness, the decision was obvious for us. >>> If you are on the fence, I highly recommend searching YOUTUBE and watching Goldwing Airbag videos. I haven't searched in quite a while, hopefully there are more.
                    The power of the SO as you pointed out in both your posts. Sometimes convincing the other person gets one closer to fulfilling a dream, in this case a GL.

My Wife and Daughter (neither of which ride as a passenger), convinced me to purchase the Air Bag Model. It's more money but considering the possible benefits I think it's worth the extra cost. I've never heard of an accidental deployment of the Wing's Air Bag.
                      '12 GL1800 Level 4 & '08 FLHX Darksider #1378

Here in Australia we do not get the choice that you guys get....I purchased a 2014 model in 2014...the bike came with satnav, airbag, abs, cb controls, radio etc....that is how our bikes are sold to us...we got the choice of two colors, blue or red....take it or leave it....

Cheers
                        2014 Candy Prominence GL1800 Luxury, Aust version, 'cause that's where I live.
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHN...Sac2F9pvWh5KtA

Originally posted by Kev View Post
                          Here in Australia we do not get the choice that you guys get....I purchased a 2014 model in 2014...the bike came with satnav, airbag, abs, cb controls, radio etc....that is how our bikes are sold to us...we got the choice of two colors, blue or red....take it or leave it....

Cheers
                          Is that a dealer policy or a gov regulation due to the bike being equipped with an airbag? Were previous years also only sold with the airbag?

Originally posted by Kev View Post

Cheers
                            Snap. Same here in New Zealand. Worksburger or nothing.
                            GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post

Is that a dealer policy or a gov regulation?
                              I believe it's Honda.....another example is no ST1300's imported to Aust....

Cheers

2014 Candy Prominence GL1800 Luxury, Aust version, 'cause that's where I live.
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHN...Sac2F9pvWh5KtA

I was very fortunate to have found a low miles 08 with an airbag. I had and sold an 02 after I purchased the 08. The 02 did not have ABS which I regretted not buying and always felt that if I found a good ABS bike I would get it. Of course when I found the 08 with everything I jumped on it and could not be happier. I hope to never use either the ABS or airbag but it sure is comforting knowing they are there. I would not buy another bike without it and certainly not ABS.
                                2008 Airbag Mega Monty
                                Heli Bars

If I'm ever able to afford buying another Wing, I would like to replace my 06 with an airbag equipped Wing. I upgraded from a GL1500 to get ABS. It should be standard on all bikes. I have Motoport Kevlar protective gear. I'm trying hard to use my full face helmet all the time, but it's not as comfortable nor or quiet as my half-helmet. An airbag is the only thing left that I haven't invested in for personal protection.

Don't have one,but only because of my budget.I really don't understand why someone would not want one given the choice,but then I don't understand why some don't want ABS either.Your driving skills will only get you so far and I don't care how good you think you are,so why not have another option that COULD possibly save your *ss.When I bought my 18 I wasn't looking for an ABS bike,but I'm glad I had it a couple of weeks later.There are situations(as hard as you try to avoid these things)that happen so fast that driving out of it is not really an option.These are the times that your ABS/Airbags could possibly save your butt.You may never,ever need either one,but what about that one time you do?Seems like a no brainer to me.JMHO.
                                    Chris
                                    Darkside # 1602
                                    If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page