Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum classics bike auction in Las Vegas

Just got back from the annual classic bike auction in Vegas. Some really neat bike sold, but overall prices were down as there did not seem to the bidders as in years past. This is the first year mecum has run it and they expanded it from 500 bikes to 750. They also,upped,the sellers fee and commissions. They, have in effect, priced us small collectors out of the mark. A bike that sells for 4000 could have about 1000 bucks in sellers fees when done. Was not like that in the past. Heard from a lot of unhappy sellers. I consider myself lucky to have got out of mine what I had in them. One highlight was watching and hearing a 1914 Henderson start and run. To make this sorta gold wing related they had a 1986 aspencade that did not run that sold for 500 or so. Why it was there I have no clue.

Rick, thanks for the update on the Mecum Auction. That '86 Aspencade was really only worth $ 500.00, since it was not a running bike. 13 months ago I sold a '54 VBS (Vincent Black Shadow) to a private party that lives in Scotland. I could have placed it in the Auction, but after seller's fees and commissions, it would have come out to the same net amount, so I decided to sell it to a guy I know, and have ridden with, that lives in Scotland. Now, I can visit my old bike every few years.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Oh yea, 500 might have been to much as it was sold on a bill of sale. A bunch of stuff had bill of sales. No more of it for me. If I sell something it will be ebay or forums. Have always done well in past but with current structure it just don't work. But......it was vegas! I think next year I will skip the auction in Vegas and spend more time at Barrett jackson. Will Hit all three auctions in Scottsdale, should be a good vacation.

Rick, if you have something of serious value, maybe a rare or collectors bike, I have a contact number for the biggest bike collector in So.Cal. (big jaw too), and he has a short list of the serious buyers that really want something, and...they have lots of money to buy whatever they want. Let me know.

Originally posted by MMR View Post
          Rick, thanks for the update on the Mecum Auction. That '86 Aspencade was really only worth $ 500.00, since it was not a running bike. 13 months ago I sold a '54 VBS (Vincent Black Shadow) to a private party that lives in Scotland. I could have placed it in the Auction, but after seller's fees and commissions, it would have come out to the same net amount, so I decided to sell it to a guy I know, and have ridden with, that lives in Scotland. Now, I can visit my old bike every few years.
          Wow! A Vincent Black Shadow!
          That was a beautiful bike.

MMR. Thanks for the info. I am not in that league. I like the old Japanese bikes that we all rode as kids and young adults. Mainly original paint bikes and unmolested. But.... I will keep your offer of help in mind.

At Barrett-Jackson an all original perfectly restored 1937 Indian from the Ron Pratte collection went for $105K....
              2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
              My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

I am going out to Barrett-Jackson tomorrow to look around. Anyone know anything about parking or shuttles?

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page