How many Goldwings sold each year??????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Goldwings sold each year??????

I was in one of my local Honda dealers today, looking at the tri-colored Wing for 2015, which I like a lot, and was discussing sales numbers with the sales manager. He was under the impression (ha ha) that Honda sells LESS than 1,000 brand new units of the Goldwing 1800, here in the USA, each year. I told him that in my opinion, that number was far off, as I think they sell between 5,000 to 10,000 brand new Goldwing 1800s each year.

Now, we can all agree that the 2001 year model sales were not as high.....and that the 2010 and later year models have not sold as many units per year, but I believe that the 2002 through 2009 Goldwing 1800s sold between 5,000 and 10,000 units per year...in the USA alone.

I know all the reasons WHY the 2001 did not sell as many units....new model....riders still holding onto their GL1500s. And I know WHY the later model year Wings have not sold as many units per year.

My question to all of you is....in your opinion....do you think Honda has sold....LESS than 1,000 brand new Goldwing 1800s per year, or......MORE than 5,000 brand new Goldwing 1800s per year?

Yes, I also know that someone will be able to pull up the sales numbers from Honda for each year. This local sales manager (and....it should be noted...Goldwings are not the high priority in their store)...he believes that the sales numbers from Honda show the sales of new Goldwing 1800s to be less than 1,000 brand new bikes each year...for the entire USA.

What say ye ?

I have no idea how many they sell a year here, but I doubt it is as few as 1000. If it were I don't think that Honda would even go to the trouble of shipping them over here.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I don't know the numbers but in a discussion on the unnamed Goldwing website a few days ago two different members linked youtube videos of Goldwings being assembled. I viewed both.

One of the videos seemed to be produced in Marysville, OH by Honda personnel and was narrated by an American man who was probably a member of management. If I heard him correctly he stated over 500,000 Goldwings had been built in the Marysville Honda plant. I don't know what year the video was made but it was obviously prior to 2012 because it was in the Marysville plant.

The numbers I think I heard sound reasonable to me but I have no statistics to compare that statement with.
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX
      2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
      2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I'd agree at more than 5,000- Ingot back into two-wheeling and bought a 2012- there mist be others moving up to it for touring from a sportbike, replacing an older 'Wing, or making a lateral move from from another brand tourer. I know my dealer had 1 'Wing on the floor, and another dealer had none on the floor. Now my dealer always has an F6B and/or Valk visible. See if you can find out figures....

I've tried to edit my above post twice and each time the new paragraph disappears when I hit save.

I thought about the 500k number a little and I think I misheard or misunderstood what the Honda spokesman said. 500k Goldwings is too many for years 2001 throught 2010. Maybe he said 100k. My hearing is not very good and I'm not sure.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

There was a guy on the "other" board that would not stand for anyone to say anything negative abut Honda or the Wing. He also used lots of sales numbers that he pulled out of, well you know, and they were ridiculous high. He even tried to estimate the sales quota by using VIN numbers in a recall. Anyway, I don't believe the Wing has ever regained the popularity that it had when the 1500's were the road king. I believe the 1800 is now stuck "between". Most of the guys that rode the 1500's were older and many now no longer ride or have moved to smaller bikes as they don't travel or can't rassle a big bike, and young folks just don't want 'em. Trikes kinda took some of that too, but a LOT of folks don't wanna invest that kind of cash. Last summer I took a ride from Ohio thru the Midwest and into Wyoming, etc. In July. I saw scads and scads of HD's, a few of the other makes too, but hardly any wings. I have noticed this over the last ten years. Less and less on the road all the time. So if they are selling them, they sure are not getting ridden much. It used to be the other way around.....MOST bikes on the road were wings, and HD's were in a thin minority or on trailers. NOT so anymore..........

There certainly are more Harley's on the road that Goldwings, but counting HD's while driving down the road is really not a good measuring stick.
              Harley has been selling their bikes a lot longer and have a following that is almost cult like. Add to that the fact that there are still a lot of older Harleys on the road. Unlike most Japanese bikes, overhaul parts are not hard to come by the nostalgic Harley owner will rebuild once a year if need be, whereas, you would be hard pressed to find something as simple as a drive shaft for a GL1100.
              There are also the "look a likes". While some can tell the difference between a Harley and a Victory, or even a VTX, while passing in opposite directions at 70mph, most cannot,
              Goldwings on the other hand are easier to spot, so I may see a Goldwing or two and then a group of Harley type bikes, however there have been times where I see just the opposite.
              I do not remember a time when I consistently saw more Goldwings than I did other types or brands of bike, but I do remember a time where there were more CB750s and KZ1000's than anything,.
              I do still believe that Honda sells a lot more than 1 or 2,000 a year. If they were not, they would be foolish to continue with the production of them.

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                I've tried to edit my above post twice and each time the new paragraph disappears when I hit save.

I thought about the 500k number a little and I think I misheard or misunderstood what the Honda spokesman said. 500k Goldwings is too many for years 2001 throught 2010. Maybe he said 100k. My hearing is not very good and I'm not sure.
                He might have meant 500k from the GL1000 through the current model. Statistics are often misquoted.

I just returned home from a trip to the west coast. In general not a lot of motorcycles were on the road because the weather was cool to cold and most folks were home spending the Christmas period with families but I did see a few bikers - mostly Goldwings. I don't recall seeing a single Hardley although I probably did and didn't take notice.

The Lubbock dealer has only one Goldwing in stock, a new silver 2015 level !, and a blue Valkrie. They don't sell many Goldwings. However, contact or visit one of the big internet discounters such as the one in Phoenix, AZ, another in Shawnee, OK and their sister store in Searcy, AR, Russellville, AR, Lake HIll, MS, Chatanooga, TN, NC, and more there are many Goldwings in inventory and they're selling lots of them. The Russellville, AR store where I bought my Goldwing had about 30 Goldwings and Goldwing trikes on their showroom floor and were offering them at attractive prices without hassle. I spoke with all those dealers and several more in early December. They are all active.

If you travel through SD or surrounding states in July you could believe Hardleys are the only motorcycles sold but that's the time when the big annual crusade to Sturgis draws thousands of Hardley riders and posers. When I travel on my GW the Hardleys I see are often on trailers.
                  Harvey Barlow
                  Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                    I just returned home from a trip to the west coast. In general not a lot of motorcycles were on the road because the weather was cool to cold and most folks were home spending the Christmas period with families but I did see a few bikers - mostly Goldwings. I don't recall seeing a single Hardley although I probably did and didn't take notice.

The Lubbock dealer has only one Goldwing in stock, a new silver 2015 level !, and a blue Valkrie. They don't sell many Goldwings. However, contact or visit one of the big internet discounters such as the one in Phoenix, AZ, another in Shawnee, OK and their sister store in Searcy, AR, Russellville, AR, Lake HIll, MS, Chatanooga, TN, NC, and more there are many Goldwings in inventory and they're selling lots of them. The Russellville, AR store where I bought my Goldwing had about 30 Goldwings and Goldwing trikes on their showroom floor and were offering them at attractive prices without hassle. I spoke with all those dealers and several more in early December. They are all active.

If you travel through SD or surrounding states in July you could believe Hardleys are the only motorcycles sold but that's the time when the big annual crusade to Sturgis draws thousands of Hardley riders and posers. When I travel on my GW the Hardleys I see are often on trailers.
                    Good points. I bought my first 2010 from Southern Powersports in Chattanooga. They had a huge inventory of GL1800's and I would not be a bit surprised if they sold 500 of them in a year. The day that I picked mine up, they had four of them being prepped for delivery including mine.

• HBarlow
                      HBarlow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I spoke with an effective young salesman at Southern Powersports. He had a silver '14 I would have settled for and a pearl blue '13 with some dealer added accessories I didn't really want. I was almost ready to buy one from him but spoke again with the sales manager at Russellville and he had the pearl blue '14 which I preferred and Russellville, AR was 600 miles instead of 1100 miles from home.

I would have bought from any of the big Powersports dealers. All of them price their Goldwings to sell and are easy to deal with. The smaller local dealers price theirs to keep and as a result, they stay on their inventory for months without a buyer.

The brake recall had ~140,000 total for all GL1800's that had the problem - I presume sold in the USA.

Seems like the number is just under 10,000/year average from initial sale (start of MY2001) until today (start of MY2015).
                    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

• HBarlow
                      HBarlow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's probably the best estimate.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think that's one of those numbers Honda really tried to keep 'under wraps' for so long. When a recall of that magnitude shows up, you just gotta know that - especially for these brake issues - they'll have to come clean with a respectable value.

I'm sure, as with all powersports items, annual quantities sold fluctuates wildly from one year to the next.

I'd like to find the warehouse that's holding the more-than-a-year-or-three old bikes. I'd bet that NOS would go pretty cheaply, as other bike models typically do, if you could just find a dealer that's willing to broker a sale of a bike like that.

Honda builds such a reliable MC that there is no need to keep replacing it as the MC handles mileage like a car....not so for your average HD.

BMW has been coming on strong in the luxury touring MC area.

If I were to buy a new luxury tour MC, I would probably go with BMW today due to the advanced platform & BT interfaces.

If Honda updated a few things on the GW, including the BT interface, it would sell better. Heck, even HD has a better BT interface and the rest of their MC is ancient technology...
                    2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
                    My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

• jmohme
                      jmohme commented
                      Editing a comment
                      For a lot of us, more electronics are not as big a factor as they are for others. Especially Bluetooth.
                      I personally think it was introduced to add a level of annoyance to my life. :-)

• MMR
                      MMR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have to agree with jmohme on this one. I am NOT into the Bluetooth scene, and the added electronics of the BMW bikes does nothing for me. Also, I do not want another bike that requires the use of Premium fuel, all the time, and the Beemers require Premium fuel. Have owned those...don't want them again. I prefer a Wing platformed bike (like my F6B) because of the reliability, the lower cost of maintenance, the higher mileage that can be ridden on these engines, and the bikes simply do not break down like the Beemers do. We all know...to each their own...that is why we all get to make our own choices.

• azsandrider
                      azsandrider commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I like the gadgets...something to do and play with while riding long miles...My BMW GSA hasn't broken down any more then my Goldwing...I think ALL mechanical things break down...ALL have had recalls....

I do think Honda needs to either update the GW or discontinue it...

GW's used to be thick as flies on the roads around here. Maybe in part because they were made just up the road, and at one time a local dealer was second in the country for sales of wings.....rapid forward to now...all the local Honda dealers have gone belly up and an all day ride prolly 5% are wings on the road. That's on a weekend. I ride thru Dayton every day, weather permitting, and rarely see a wing at all. The local GWRRA had over 300 members at one time. I think they would be hard pressed to claim 50 now, and where scads of riders used to show up for meetings and rides, it's a rare time to see many more that a dozen.
                    Maybe they have built the wing TOO good. Most guys seem to buy new ones out of boredom or the wish to to say "look what I got" and not because the bike has reached it's mechanical end.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "... I think they would be hard pressed to claim 50 now, and where scads of riders used to show up for meetings and rides, it's a rare time to see many more that a dozen."

The demographic is ageing out...it's not just a Honda phenomena. Just look at the effort the Motor Company is putting into a new generation of bikes - hell, look at what SoA & the Motor Company has done with the marketing.

Discretionary income has disappeared from the family budgets of many Americans. New Goldwings and other big touring bikes are beyond the reach of most of the Americans who were buying them ten years ago. Our economy has been in a devastating recession since beginning in November 2006. Millions of jobs have been permantly lost, millions of men and women have lost their high paying jobs and been forced onto disability rolls, social security, or part-time work. The retirement investment funds of millions of Americans approaching or at retirement age have disappeared.

Regardless of the lies and distortions of the dictator and his corrupt administration and the propaganda media, America is moving toward a third world economy.

The Japanese are not stupid. They can see and understand our economy and our demographics. They do not read or heed the lies of our propaganda media. They know America is broken and are in no rush to offer new expensive lines of motorcycles.
                    Harvey Barlow
                    Crosby County, TX

Production in Marysville peaked in 1997 with 174,000 total units produced. 135,000 ATV's and 39,000 motorcycles including the CRF dirtbike line, Goldwing and Magna models plus a few others. Honda is pretty closed mouth about model production numbers but workers there have indicated around 10,000 Goldwings per year when produced here and mainly for the US market. Not surprising that the model does not/has not changed much over the years.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page