Regarding Gas prices, if given a choice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Gas prices, if given a choice...

If given a choice at the pump, how many of us would pay a little extra for fuel produced from North American sources?
    I would, and I think it is way overdue for us to stop supporting OPEC countries and start supporting ours!

I would too!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I agree...I would too.

American oil companies can be quite profitable at or a little above the pump prices we're paying now. I would certainly prefer to buy American oil but I don't think it's necessary to pay high prices. Production prices vary between oil companies but there is no need for us to indirectly pay $100/bbl. for crude when we can produce all we need here at home.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

My question would be, How come the price of Crude oil has dropped more than 50% in the past few months but the price of Gas has dropped only about 30%?

• HBarlow
            HBarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not an expert on the oil indusdtry but in general refining, transportation, and distribution costs remain the same even when the price of the raw material, crude oil, is reduced.

I feel like we have been raped for so many years by the rip off oil companies that I would not pay a dime more for fuel from anyone if I don't have to.
          Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

• HBarlow
            HBarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            Oil companies make about 8% profit on their investment year after year. The corrupt and greedy federal government which contributes nothing makes approximately 15% off every gallon of gas, more off diesel fuel, and states steal another dime to 50 or 75 cents per gallon. The governments take on fuels does not include corporate income taxes and personal income taxes on oil industry employees.

8% is a modest sum. State and federal taxes are not.

Rather than this choice, I would ask why can't the North American suppliers put the product on the market at a cheaper price. After all the oil does not have to be transported across the ocean?
          Harvey
          Ride Safe and Ride Often

• HBarlow
            HBarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            Really? Do you want the company you work for to earn less profit so their product or service will sell cheaper?

Count me in. Anything to help the U.S.A. is certainly worth doing. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

IBA #57814
          SaddleSore 1075 Miles in 24 hours (certified)
          BunBurner 1632 Miles in 36 hours (certified)
          Prowler #81
          Double Darksider # 792
          Alaska 2012 / 2014

It's a global market. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

A lot of US oil is transported from the US as they can sell it for more $$$ then keeping it here.

The biggest problem is that we need more refineries in the US, but the eco-wackos have made that almost impossible with all the permits and fees required.

The US has to IMPORT refined product which increases costs.
              2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
              My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Originally posted by azsandrider View Post
                A lot of US oil is transported from the US as they can sell it for more $$$ then keeping it here.

The biggest problem is that we need more refineries in the US, but the eco-wackos have made that almost impossible with all the permits and fees required.

The US has to IMPORT refined product which increases costs.
                I agree with this!

• clayusmcret
                  clayusmcret commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The government hasn't allowed a new refinery in over 30 years and every refinery is running so close to 100% output that when just one has an accident, it effects the entire market.

I really did not put this thread up to debate the price of a barrel of oil, or a gallon of fuel. And I am not questioning the profits of oil companies. Of coarse oil is profitable, If it wasn't there would be no oil companies. So maybe I phrased the question wrong.
                All I really was asking is if given a choice would you choose oil from our wells and tell OPEC to take a hike?
                I personally have been sick of them for years. They have been manipulating the market and unlike our oil companies, making a heck of a lot more than 8% margins on oil.
                And just how much of that is used to fund those that wish to take down this country?
                I say if they want to drive the prices down to hurt our oil industry, I will pay more for fuel and let them keep their oil!

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
                  I really did not put this thread up to debate the price of a barrel of oil, or a gallon of fuel. And I am not questioning the profits of oil companies. Of coarse oil is profitable, If it wasn't there would be no oil companies. So maybe I phrased the question wrong.
                  All I really was asking is if given a choice would you choose oil from our wells and tell OPEC to take a hike?
                  I personally have been sick of them for years. They have been manipulating the market and unlike our oil companies, making a heck of a lot more than 8% margins on oil.
                  And just how much of that is used to fund those that wish to take down this country?
                  I say if they want to drive the prices down to hurt our oil industry, I will pay more for fuel and let them keep their oil!
                  It drives me crazy that we voluntarily enrich the people who fund terrorists... who then try to kill us and destroy our country.

U.S. or OPEC oil? Slap the table - I'd choose U.S. gas/oil every time.
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Count me in for paying a little more. Comments about the eco-wacko's are right on.

Goes without saying.
                      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Don't worry - You will soon get a chance to Pay a lot more.

Lower Gas Prices Spur Push for Higher Taxes

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/low.../08/id/617448/

Never miss a Chance to take more money to Steal

Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Originally posted by m45mcdan View Post

Count me in for paying a little more. Comments about the eco-wacko's are right on.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                          Don't worry - You will soon get a chance to Pay a lot more.

Lower Gas Prices Spur Push for Higher Taxes

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/low.../08/id/617448/

Never miss a Chance to take more money to Steal
                          You are both correct.
                          If we could get the wacko's and Government to stop being such obstructionists to oil production maybe it would become more cost effective to harvest and refine our own oil.
                          And don't even get me started on fuel taxes. The Feds are as big a bunch of thieves as anybody!

You are both correct.
                            If we could get the wacko's and Government to stop being such obstructionists to oil production maybe it would become more cost effective to harvest and refine our own oil.
                            And don't even get me started on fuel taxes. The Feds are as big a bunch of thieves as anybody!
                            Not quite Jerry. I agree that the feds are extracting their pound of flesh, but the gasoline excise tax charged by them in all 50 states is 18.5 cents per gallon which is added to the state gas tax. The average state gas tax is around 27 cents per gallon. Of course since that is the national average some states are lower and some higher. For instance California state gas tax is 53.2 cents, Hawaii is 50.3 cents and New York is just slightly under that. Texas is 20.0 cents. The two lowest states at 12.4 and 14.5 cents per gallon are Alaska and New Jersey respectively. So the Feds are only a relatively small portion of the total gasoline taxes in a lot of states.

Info Source: http://taxfoundation.org/blog/map-st...line-tax-rates

Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post

Not quite Jerry. I agree that the feds are extracting their pound of flesh, but the gasoline excise tax charged by them in all 50 states is 18.5 cents per gallon which is added to the state gas tax. The average state gas tax is around 27 cents per gallon. Of course since that is the national average some states are lower and some higher. For instance California state gas tax is 53.2 cents, Hawaii is 50.3 cents and New York is just slightly under that. Texas is 20.0 cents. The two lowest states at 12.4 and 14.5 cents per gallon are Alaska and New Jersey respectively. So the Feds are only a relatively small portion of the total gasoline taxes in a lot of states.

Info Source: http://taxfoundation.org/blog/map-st...line-tax-rates
                              Of coarse you are correct. they all have their hands out! It makes it even more frustrating when road that were paid for with those and other taxes are being converted into toll roads! but that needs to be another thread entirely!

Please define "a little extra"
                                2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page