Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro mounting suggestions

Well Santa was awesome and brought me a GoPro Hero 3 and I've been watching with great interest where people are putting these amazing cameras. So where to you kids put 'em? I'm interested to see the results you have attained too, so let's see either pics of where you mounted your GoPro or an actual video! Thanks in advance.
    Top of the helmet
    28.00%
    Side of the helmet
    8.00%
    Crash Bar
    28.00%
    Suction cup on windshield, front of bike or saddlebags.
    32.00%
    Right or Left mirror
    12.00%
    Other location (please describe in comments)
    16.00%
    Ron - Montrose, CO
    2018 Pearl White GL1800 DCT
    2012 Pearl White GL1800 Level 1 - Sold @ 63K miles
    I don't ride to make great time; I ride to have a great time!

This is from a few years ago, camera mounted on top of helmet.

GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have Sony camera mounted on handle bars via Ram Mount.

I have a Wingman HD and mount it either on the windshield garnish via suction cup (tethered) or on a home made mount on the crash bars.

Engine guard, top of helmet and luggage rack on trunk. Ram mount used on trunk and engine guard
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H3YiafcycM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69PC_idHrg
          Northeast, Alabama
          1995 GL1500, 2004 GL1800 & 2007 Aero 750

I haven't mounted my Gopro on my 2010 yet, but I had it mounted under the headlights between the forks on my 05. I also had a similar mount under the trunk for rear facing video.
            Those positions offered a good angle for the camera and high enough that I didn't worry about damage from flying road debris. It also kept the mounts hidden when not in use.
            I never trusted the suction cup mount.

• 1096dad
              1096dad commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't suppose you have any videos from either of these locations? I don't think I've seen/heard of anyone putting a GoPro there. Sounds interesting!

I use the lower right corner of the windshield with the suction cup. I have a safety twine connected just in case it lets go, (witch it did once). The problem with mounting to the bike is vibration and jarring. I tried the helmet and this does take out the shaking but its difficult to operate it when you can't see the controls. There are pluses and minuses to every location. As far as quality video, Walter (wing one from that other place), did a great job with his mounted on the side of his helmet.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Ken
            ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

flyerq68... They make a remote control for the Go Pro Cameras...that way you don't have to try to reach up and push buttons...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7tqrl2x4yk_b

I have not tried yet,but I have seen several videos that the camera was mounted to the top of one of the mirrors...I think the mount was held on using tape...and then
              I read another guy used suction pad...

I think the best video is from on top of a helmet...but,I really don't like the way it sticks up so high...

John
              John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Crash bar and the clutch reservoir with a RAM mount...
                Bullyboy
                2006 GL1800 / 1982 GL500
                Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
                DS # 816

bullyboy...when you mount to the clutch reservoir...how does the video come out shooting through the windshield???

John

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
                    bullyboy...when you mount to the clutch reservoir...how does the video come out shooting through the windshield???

John

As long as the windshield is clean you can't even see it. I don't notice any distortion, either, from the curve of the shield. Put it there only out of the convenience of already having a RAM mount there for other items. I use a longer RAM arm to raise it up about 4 or 5 inches.

The cool thing is that I have a small parking sticker in the lower corner of my windshield. By watching that sticker, it's interesting to notice just how little the handlebars move even in tight mountain cornering!
                    Bullyboy
                    2006 GL1800 / 1982 GL500
                    Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
                    DS # 816

Originally posted by bullyboy View Post
                      Crash bar and the clutch reservoir with a RAM mount...
                      Now that I've moved my Garmin to the windshield with the EZ-Mount, that does free up the reservoir mount for a Go-Pro. Hmmmm. That's a real thought.

Edited to add - Can you add a photo of the Go-Pro on the reservoir?
                      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Thanks bullyboy...I also would like to see a picture of it mounted...and maybe some video through the windshield...again Thanks for the reply

John

I use Ram mounts they have many different types of mounts for just about any product out there.
                          2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

I mounted mine on my right hand mirror. I used the stick on mount. I was ridding at about 70 on a windy road when it decieded to leave the bike. I never found it make sure you teather it

Kenidaho...that's just what I'm afraid of...I think the best is to ball mount the camera...to the clutch / brake reservoir...I have ordered a set of Helibars... and was thinking to mount it to the cross bar between the handlebars...

John

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

Now that I've moved my Garmin to the windshield with the EZ-Mount, that does free up the reservoir mount for a Go-Pro. Hmmmm. That's a real thought.

Edited to add - Can you add a photo of the Go-Pro on the reservoir?
                                And to the others who wanted pics...

I'll set it up tonight and will snap a few shots. The RAM adapter I use is a tripod adapter part number RAM-B-202AU. It's a little bulky, but I think it's all they have.
                                You will need the GoPro tripod adapter which costs anywhere from $6.95 - $9.99...
                                http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/tripod-...ABQRT-001.html

Attached Files
                                Bullyboy
                                2006 GL1800 / 1982 GL500
                                Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
                                DS # 816

My wife got me a Hero3 for Christmas and not liking the mounts you can buy. I made a couple myself.

I plan of powering the camera with it's own charge cord. I'll drill a hole in it's case,and use a silicone o-ring to keep it dry when on the rear of the bike.(Who films in the rain anyways?-lol)
                                  Nothing gets wet that is on my front farkle shelf.(GPS/Phone/Radar Detector)

The front mount is movable so I can turn the camera when not using my Go Pro phone App.And is easier to remove the camera when I'm not near the bike.

I went with the stealth approach. Camera in center between Piaa lights. Small camera, small space, similar quality to GoPro but not the streaming and remote control features. But can be start/stop from cell phone.

Video degraded and unedited on Youtbue but can see perspective. I like the perspective of being on the ride while watching video.

• In2cjs
                                      In2cjs commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Where is this?

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post
                                    ...Video degraded and unedited on Youtbue but can see perspective. I like the perspective of being on the ride while watching video.
                                    Don't fall victim to paying too much attention to the video while riding and get burned by the lag in the video feed due to the network connection! That would just suck! :P
                                    Bullyboy
                                    2006 GL1800 / 1982 GL500
                                    Kuhmo Ecsta SPT
                                    DS # 816

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page