Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobble

Got to ride my bike today with a little help from mother nature. But, while riding it through town , going around 30 mph, I took my hands off the handlebars for a couple of seconds and the the bars shook like crazy. I had to go about 30 miles to get back home and didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary. I checked it two more times before I got home and as soon as it got down to around 30 mph and took pressure off the grips it would start shaking real bad, but if I gripped the bars normally I can't tell anything is wrong. The bike is a 2012 with bridge stone exedra 709 on the front and Michelin primacy on the back. I put the tires on in June , I think, and they have around 13,000 miles. I have Dyna beads in both. The tread still looks good on the front, but i've noticed the center sticks out farther, kind of like a spine. I didn't see any cupping or other problems with the tire, just the raised center. Do you think it's just a bad tire or maybe something with the suspension? It only has 27,xxx miles and I never noticed anything till tonight. Thanks for your help😀

Dreaded Goldwing decal wobble! The cures and fixes will be forthcoming. My sure-fire fix? Keep your hands on the bars!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Your stem head bearing may need to be tightened to spec, this is a common trait with this bike there are different head bearings that can help with this issue

Or check the tire preasure.

showmerider, the "singular" issue you are having is very common on GL1800s, and as stated by SoloWing, it is the Dreaded Decel Wobble. This only occurs when the bike is decelerating, usually from 45 down to 30 mph. Take you hands off the handlebars, or a very light touch on the bars, and it will wobble. NOT on acceleration, but only on deceleration.

In your case, it is because you have the added issue of 13K miles on that 'stone front tire, and despite what you said about wearing good, but the center is sticking out, like a spine, that contributes to the issue.

"Most likely" you have also been running too low of pressure in that front tire, BUT....that wear you have described is "for the most part" normal for a 'stone front tire, especially the 709.

Here is the fix...and the ONLY fix that is needed...period !

Replace the front tire when you are ready to do so, and with the new front tire, run it at 40 psi.....period. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If you have already been running 40 psi, good....you ignored the error in the Honda Owners Manual, and you paid attention to what the experienced riders have been doing for years now.

Now, the hokum about replacing the front steering head bearings....do not waste your money doing that, unless....you want to waste money. I can tell you that with only 27K miles on your bike, there is NOTHING wrong with the steering head bearings on your bike. Period !

You can either listen to all these folks that throw a lot of money at their bikes, in an effort to fix a problem, because....they heard it through the grapevine that steering head bearings will fix the dreaded wobble, or......you can save your money, replace that front tire when you decide it is time to do so, and run that new tire at 40 psi...and be done with it.

There is also NOTHING wrong with your front suspension.

New Tire....40 psi...done !

Originally posted by MMR View Post
            showmerider, the "singular" issue you are having is very common on GL1800s, and as stated by SoloWing, it is the Dreaded Decel Wobble. This only occurs when the bike is decelerating, usually from 45 down to 30 mph. Take you hands off the handlebars, or a very light touch on the bars, and it will wobble. NOT on acceleration, but only on deceleration.

In your case, it is because you have the added issue of 13K miles on that 'stone front tire, and despite what you said about wearing good, but the center is sticking out, like a spine, that contributes to the issue.

"Most likely" you have also been running too low of pressure in that front tire, BUT....that wear you have described is "for the most part" normal for a 'stone front tire, especially the 709.

Here is the fix...and the ONLY fix that is needed...period !

Replace the front tire when you are ready to do so, and with the new front tire, run it at 40 psi.....period. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If you have already been running 40 psi, good....you ignored the error in the Honda Owners Manual, and you paid attention to what the experienced riders have been doing for years now.

Now, the hokum about replacing the front steering head bearings....do not waste your money doing that, unless....you want to waste money. I can tell you that with only 27K miles on your bike, there is NOTHING wrong with the steering head bearings on your bike. Period !

You can either listen to all these folks that throw a lot of money at their bikes, in an effort to fix a problem, because....they heard it through the grapevine that steering head bearings will fix the dreaded wobble, or......you can save your money, replace that front tire when you decide it is time to do so, and run that new tire at 40 psi...and be done with it.

There is also NOTHING wrong with your front suspension.

New Tire....40 psi...done !
            I kind of agree about the steering head bearing.
            I did run All Balls tapered bearings on my first GL1800, but not because of wobble. I just had the front end down and decided to replace them since I was in that far in and I feel that tapered bearings are better for this application, but out of four of these bikes, that was the only one I have done so far. I will put them on the next time I have one down, but I'm not going to do it until the bearings in it now are in need of replacement or I have the triple tree out for some reason.

MMR well said i was eating up front E3s it would start at around 5000 miles and got worse never got 7000 miles out of the tires. I finely put on a BT45 i have over 7000 miles on it the tire still looks new. Try changing your tire and the problem will disappear, plus tire pressure number one killer of our tires. 40 psi i check mine before every ride and carry a tire gauge with me.
              :deadhorse:
              2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

+1 . Rear tyre change ( anything that is a new one ) and correct pressure, then go for a short ride.
                GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

You Might Not Have To Change Anything, But You May Want To... After Much Reading, I Decided on New Bearings, Front & Rear Springs ( @ about 7000 mi )... When I Picked Up The Bike The Mechanic Said, Wow What A Difference... A New Set Of E-3s Had Not Done The Trick...Ran Them ( after change with no Wobble ) Till The Next Year And Changed Them For A Set Of New Avons ... I Ran The New Avon ( 40 # ) A Year And 18000 Miles, It Looked To Good To Though Away... ( no wobble ) ___ The Next 2 Years On Avon , Same... The Next 2 Front Tires G 709,, 1st. One With Ride-On 17000 To Ware Bars ( 36# ),, 2nd Without Ride-On 9000 ( 36 # ) To Ware Bars & Removed At 14000 ( No Wobbles )... And Now For The G 851 I'm Trying @ 36 , 38 , And 40 #s There Is Wobble Coming And Going... Great Driving Tire, Just Don't Take Your Hands Off ___ jp

I've been running 40 psi for about the last 6.000 miles. I'm going to put on a new tire, so now to get some more opinions, what is a good handling long lasting tire for the front? Not real aggressive riding, but I do like some curves when I can get to them. Thanks again for the advice

Originally posted by showmerider View Post
                      I've been running 40 psi for about the last 6.000 miles. I'm going to put on a new tire, so now to get some more opinions, what is a good handling long lasting tire for the front? Not real aggressive riding, but I do like some curves when I can get to them. Thanks again for the advice
                      That means that you were running under 40 psi for the first 7000 miles of that same time. You have 13K miles on it now, and have been running 40 psi for the last 6K miles. Once the "damage" is done to the tire, it can NOT be reversed by then correcting the pressure, and running it at 40 psi for the last 6K miles.

In my opinion, I would stick with the 'stone 709 up front, since you have a Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 on the back. Is that Michelin a run-flat, or not?

My own bike runs a 'stone 709 on the front, and a Michelin Primacy Alpin 3, run-flat on the back, and I am able to get 15K to 21K out of the 'stone front tire, depending on roads, etc.

Bridgestone had my first front tire on display at this years WingDing vendors expo, because it had 20,270 miles on it, and...according to them, and me, it looked great. That means it was worn...but not to the wear bars yet...but had been wearing equally across the entire tread face. The only reason it was taken off the bike at 20,270 is because Bridgestone wanted my tires after the lightning strike hit me, as they wanted to test the tires. They gave me a new set in exchange for the old ones.

What that all means is....with a NEW 'stone 709, and starting from day # 1...running it at 40 psi, you "should" be able to get close to, or more than 20,000 miles out if it. Of course...YMMV, dependent on road surfaces, temps, weight load, etc.

In my opinion, I would stick with the 'stone 709 up front, since you have a Michelin Primacy Alpin 3 on the back. Is that Michelin a run-flat, or not?

Thanks for the advice MMR, the rear is the run flat version

Originally posted by SoloWing View Post
                          Dreaded Goldwing decal wobble! The cures and fixes will be forthcoming. My sure-fire fix? Keep your hands on the bars!
                          PLUS 1

I don't have the mechanical knowledge to explain why.....but I do know that after I got my Traxxion upgrade I have never been able to reproduce the wobble regardless of the wear on my 709. Curing the wobble played no part in my decision to get Traxxion but was just an added benefit.

Dan
                            2007 dark blue Navi
                            Traxxion "Mega Monty"
                            IBA 54656

Every bike I have ever owned, had some wobble after the tires had several thousand miles on them.

Mopar's Wing
                              2014 Level 3 Blacked out Blue
                              Heli bars, Muth mirrors, Kuryakyn floorboards and LEDs, Corbin saddle
                              Anderson SC

My 2010 Goldwing tracked straight and true accelerating or decelerating until the original Dunlop D250 tires had about 9,000 - 10,000 miles on them. A new set of Dunlop E3 tires, properly inflated, did not cure the wobble.

Deceleration wobble was cured by installation of All Balls tapered stem bearings. Deceleration wobble has never returned whether running a brand new set of tires or a set of Dunlop E3s with 17,000 miles, properly inflated or neglected with inflation pressure a few pounds low.. That Goldwing now has 93,000 miles on the odometer and does not wobble at any speed.
                                Harvey Barlow
                                Crosby County, TX
                                2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
                                2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

We used to have the 45 down to 30 wobble. Our fixes were inexpensive and easy to do. We now have the 704/709 combo (used to have E-3s), dynabeads, and a fork brace. We run the 36/41 PSI (but maybe just a bit higher at times). No problems. The bike is otherwise stock (OEM steering bearings, no Traxion, OEM springs, etc.). I can ride hands off all the way down to the point when you really need to downshift (i.e. about 20 MPH).

My fix on my '04 Titanium (2 wheel) was Bridgestones and 40-42 lbs. air in both tires....religiously. The font E3 shook violently after the 1st 3k miles, and the rear e# hummed considerably shortly afterwards. On my cruiser type bike I swore by Metzler 880's, but the tread would bubble up and separate before 3k miles on the GL1800. Same with Continental's. If I were still on 2 wheels, my choices would be the Bridgestone G709/704, or the Michelin Primacy.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page