• Show
Clear All

• Not just tolls: E-Z Pass keeping an eye on speeders

Not sure if this is well known or not.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ding/20558251/
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

EZ-Passes get read all over New York, not just at toll booths. I suspect that our toll transponders are being read much more than we realize.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...t-toll-booths/

Just wait till motorcycle are equipped with data collection systems (black boxes) and Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) communication systems. Some motorcycles are already being equipped with black boxes. http://motorbikewriter.com/bike-spying-on-privacy/

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Oops! I have never got a warning yet but you can go through the booth sections fast enough that it won't register. It has happened to me twice. I know how fast I was going once because I happened to look down after not seeing the green light. I'll keep the speed to myself to avoid all the flaming, LOL it was on the way down to meet Murgie and crew in Paint Bank VA.

The heavy hand of authoritarian government is reaching for all of us.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I have wondered when they were going to get around to doing this.
          It's not really a problem for me though. I do not have an EZ Pass, TxTag, or any other such thing. I also avoid toll roads for the most part.

If you are too worried just wrap it in tinfoil after you pass the booth

I have and enjoy an Okie PikePass as well as an EZPass good for all the northeastern and eastern seaboard states. Both are tremendously handy and convenient for motorcycle travel and can also be used in my car or truck. Tolls are generally based on numbers of axles rather than wheels.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                I have and enjoy an Okie PikePass as well as an EZPass good for all the northeastern and eastern seaboard states. Both are tremendously handy and convenient for motorcycle travel and can also be used in my car or truck. Tolls are generally based on numbers of axles rather than wheels.
                That is one of the reasons that I avoid toll roads. When I do take a toll road, I usually end up getting charged the same as a pickup pulling a trailer.

I understand what you're saying. Some years ago I used to do the same when I was traveling with a HD pickup and pulling a large travel trailer. Over time I realized it cost more in fuel, time, aggravation, and energy to avoid toll roads.

Traveling across OK is a good example. Taking the Okie Turnpikes from Wichita Falls to Joplin, MO the speed limit on the Okie Pike is 75 mph and it's easy to set the cruise on 79 or even 80 and sail through. The toll booths on the leg between Wichita Falls and OKC are older and require slowing to 30 mph but the the newer toll booths on the OKC to Joplin section allow crusing through at 79 mph. Traveling the old secondary highways takes hours longer and includes small towns, traffic, traffic lights, and various slow moving vehicles. The route is probably 50 or 60 miles longer to avoid the toll roads. Riding across OK will wear a rider out.

If I'm out for a Saturday afternoon ride the backroads are interesting and offer more scenery but if I'm on a one or two week trip to a distant destination I choose the interstates and toll roads everytime.

It's easy and practical to obtain toll transponders and they pay you back in reduced toll rates, occasional unbilled tolls, and convenience. Obtaining a toll transponder is simple and cheap. It can be done by phone or online. You pay a few dollars up front as a deposit on the transponder and provide a credit card or $40 cash deposit for your account to pay tolls as billed. I receive email notifications of my account when it is time to automatically replenish the $40 deposit. The account can be viewed and managed online. Almost as handy as sliced bread.

Without a toll transponder I had to stop at a toll booth, shift the wing into neutral, stand up, pull off my gloves, get my wallet out, hand over the toll, wait for change, put my wallet and change away, sit down again, pull on my gloves, shift to first gear, and launch. Each time I lost as much as five minutes plus the aggravation.
                  Harvey Barlow
                  Crosby County, TX

• jmohme
                    jmohme commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am referring more to local travel than cross country. I used to make frequent trips to Illinois and would always take the Okie Pike that you refer to. I also do the Pennsylvania turnpike whenever I visit family out east. I agree that finding ways around toll roads when traveling can be more trouble that it is worth, but these local roads, built with tax dollars and now turned over to foreign companies to manage as toll roads do not get any traffic or money from me.

• HBarlow
                    HBarlow commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Use of contractors to operate the toll roads, whether "foreign" or domestic, is not a bad thing. It saves tax dollars for us ordinary tax-paying citizens.

Contractors submit bids to states to operate the toll roads for a specified period of time paying a percentage or an agreed fee back to the state. The contractor uses his own employees rather than states hiring hundreds of overpaid underworked bureaucrats on state payrolls with high salaries, healthcare, and pensions.

Personally I'm in favor of the idea.

I have a son that lives in eastern CT and it is hard to go from VA to CT without using a toll road or crossing a toll bridge. After a few trips, my son put me onto EZPass and I got one for each bike and car. They pay for themselves by eliminating the need to stop at toll booths or only slow down. Yes, it is very easy to track your speed across a state like NJ or WV when you have to go through two or more toll booths. But years ago, NJ used to let you know that they could determine your speed between toll booths by checking the time. Now law enforcement has learned to use that time device for many things in addition to speed.

But as Harvey B above note these transponders add a lot of convenience to my travels.
                  Harvey
                  Ride Safe and Ride Often

Originally posted by B J View Post
                    If you are too worried just wrap it in tinfoil after you pass the booth
                    It really isn't an issue of being tracked. It is much simpler than that.....it is time over distance. They know how far it is from one tollbooth to another. It's nothing more than simple math to calculate your average speed over a known distance...all they need is the amount of time it took you....and that is printed out on the tickets (if you pay cash) or store in the system electronically, if you use an EZ Pass.

Originally posted by BMXDad View Post

It really isn't an issue of being tracked. It is much simpler than that.....it is time over distance. They know how far it is from one tollbooth to another. It's nothing more than simple math to calculate your average speed over a known distance...all they need is the amount of time it took you....and that is printed out on the tickets (if you pay cash) or store in the system electronically, if you use an EZ Pass.
                      Yep, that's why I drive the majority of the way and 1/2 a mile from the terminating toll, my wife and I swap places and she drives through the toll... who's guilty.......

Just kidding.....
                      '08 Goldwing Lvl 3
                      '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
                      '08 KTM 300XCW
                      '07 Ducati 1098S
                      www.gl1800visor.com

Not sure why people are worried about this. I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket based on EZ pass. Just as likely to get ticketed via radar or one of the other timing devices.
                        I would guess that IF tickets were being issed it would be the same as a red light camera and they would ticket the owner or registered owner, not the driver.

personally I am more concerned that the Gov will anact a "mileage tax".

Originally posted by bpd221 View Post

They have shown a desire to do that in years past so I am sure that day will come.
                            Richard
                            Darksider #390
                            Murgie's FAQ

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post

They have shown a desire to do that in years past so I am sure that day will come.
                              Set the speedo healer to register 50% speed and miles....(kidding)
                              '08 Goldwing Lvl 3
                              '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
                              '08 KTM 300XCW
                              '07 Ducati 1098S
                              www.gl1800visor.com

Originally posted by bpd221 View Post
                                Yes that may be coming after all we are buying less gas due to improved gas mileage and the effect of hybrids and gas taxes are very important revenue. So if this revenue is dropping as the cost of maintaining the roads is going up, how do we raise enough money to pay for road maintenance? Or to pay for new roads? I don't like the idea of a mileage tax but I think it would be a lot more sense for my Prius than my 4Runner. I know for a fact that the volume of gas my wife was using in her Miata has dropped considerably since she got the Prius, not to mention a price drop due to no longer buying premium. But all of this results in us paying less in both state and federal fuel tax.

Harvey
                                Ride Safe and Ride Often

here in Miami Florida we have over head scanners and we do the speed limit. No need to slow down.

...digging this old thread up, since it's the only one here on the topic of toll roads, and in particular, transponders

To this reader, it would seem that - if you do NOT live in any of the EZ-Pass states, that perhaps procuring the North Carolina version would be the ideal device and account to set up:

"NC Quick Pass E-ZPass and Exterior transponders work in 18 states, [...]. It can be used on toll facilities that accept NC Quick Pass, E-ZPass, SunPass, or Peach Pass as a method of payment."

The other question I have...you have the standard transponder, but then there's also that external mount (https://www.myncquickpass.com/en/abo...e_mounting.pdf) version.

On a bike like a Goldwing, has anyone tried to mount this style in conjunction with the vent that's on the windshield?
                                    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page