Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brighter Fog Lights?

I have or at least I assume I have factory fog lights. Is there a brighter bulb available as a replacement that will not melt or burn anything? I bought the bike used and the headlamps and high beams are very bright and have a blue tint to them, my fog lights have an old fashioned not so bright yellowish (as compared to the bright headlamps) look to them.
    Progressive Monotubes
    All Balls
    Race Tech G3S Custom shock
    Dunlop E3 front
    Yokohama Envigor 195-55-16 rear Darkside #1591

I believe the OEM fog lights are 35W. Many folks have said they have swapped those bulbs out for 50W (or maybe it was 55W) and had no problems; others have said they melted something on the light assembly. I have not personally owned that type of cowl mounted lights. The ones in my cowl are LED.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

You can buy a "fog light upgrade harness" that "allows you to safely run 55 watt bulbs in your Hondaline and Show Chome driving lights". The bulbs in the OEM are 35 watt. I have no personal experience with swapping out the 35 watt bulbs for 55 watt bulbs, or the upgrade harness.

The Honda lower cowl "fog" lights are anemic, at best. You can upgrade to the 55w bulbs...if you want, or..........do it like a rock star, and install the 10watt LED lower cowl lights, with an amber or yellow lens over the LED light unit, and it makes a WORLD of difference. Over the course of the last 6 Wings I have owned....1500's and 1800's and an F6B, I have used just about every kind of lower cowl light. I am SO happy with the current ones I have in my F6B, I will never go back to a halogen bulb of any size again. I got the 10watt Single Shooter LED lights from EC, with the yellow lens on them, so all my lower cowl lights are...BRIGHT...and they grab the attention of all oncoming cars, because of the different color of light that is broadcast.

It is an error...and ERROR ...I say, to want the lower cowl lights to "light up the road" far ahead, because to do that, you need super bright lights, a really good reflector, and.....the light being mounted so low on the bike, it shines directly into a car drivers eyes. It also skims the surface of the road in front of you, creating shadows that either hide potholes, or creates images of potholes, where there are not any.

The best thing to use in the lower cowling is a light that will work in actual FOG....and will be a different spectrum of light, a different color of light, to grab the attention of other vehicles.

If you want to "light up the road" in front of you....install mega-lights up as HIGH on the bike as you can....so that they shine downward from their high position, meaning they will not blind the oncoming car driver, and....being a high mounted light, they can shine INTO any potholes or road deviations.

Best thing on the market......10 watt single shooter LED low cowl lights, with a yellow lens.

Originally posted by MMR View Post
          The Honda lower cowl "fog" lights are anemic, at best. You can upgrade to the 55w bulbs...if you want, or..........do it like a rock star, and install the 10watt LED lower cowl lights, with an amber or yellow lens over the LED light unit, and it makes a WORLD of difference. Over the course of the last 6 Wings I have owned....1500's and 1800's and an F6B, I have used just about every kind of lower cowl light. I am SO happy with the current ones I have in my F6B, I will never go back to a halogen bulb of any size again. I got the 10watt Single Shooter LED lights from EC, with the yellow lens on them, so all my lower cowl lights are...BRIGHT...and they grab the attention of all oncoming cars, because of the different color of light that is broadcast.

It is an error...and ERROR ...I say, to want the lower cowl lights to "light up the road" far ahead, because to do that, you need super bright lights, a really good reflector, and.....the light being mounted so low on the bike, it shines directly into a car drivers eyes. It also skims the surface of the road in front of you, creating shadows that either hide potholes, or creates images of potholes, where there are not any.

The best thing to use in the lower cowling is a light that will work in actual FOG....and will be a different spectrum of light, a different color of light, to grab the attention of other vehicles.

If you want to "light up the road" in front of you....install mega-lights up as HIGH on the bike as you can....so that they shine downward from their high position, meaning they will not blind the oncoming car driver, and....being a high mounted light, they can shine INTO any potholes or road deviations.

Best thing on the market......10 watt single shooter LED low cowl lights, with a yellow lens.
          Where do I find the EC lights? I read a lot about them but have no idea who / where they are.
          Progressive Monotubes
          All Balls
          Dunlop E3 front

You can either go directly to their website, for Electrical Connection, which...I will politely not post the link here, simply because they are not a forum sponsor, and...there is a possibility that one of the forum sponsors either carries the Electrical Connection Single Shooter LED lower cowl lights, or....a forum sponsor carries a lower cowl light that is very similar.

I believe in supporting forum sponsors, up to as much as we can, and if a product is not available through them, then we can tell members about other companies.

PM sent.

The EC Single Shooter lights are carried by Cyclemax a forum sponsor, heres a link...
              http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl18...ghts/73/179927

The lower cowl mounted fog lights are really not mounted in an ideal location for actual illumination. I have always considered them as a means of making myself more visible to others.
                If you want better illumination, mounts some good driving lights in a higher position such as under the mirrors.

PapasRide, thank you for posting the link to one of our sponsors...Cyclemax...that carries those EC lights.

And, jmohme, your comments echo exactly what I said earlier. Thank you for that confirmation.

And, Basil Faulty, if you do order them through Cyclemax....which is a lower price than what EC charges for the same units...make sure you order the EC switch...and NOT the OEM Honda switch. The difference is that the EC switch is illuminated when the lights are on, whereas the Honda OEM switch is NOT illuminated. When ordering through Cyclemax you get a choice as to which switch you want.

Originally posted by Basil Faulty View Post
                    I have or at least I assume I have factory fog lights. Is there a brighter bulb available as a replacement that will not melt or burn anything? I bought the bike used and the headlamps and high beams are very bright and have a blue tint to them, my fog lights have an old fashioned not so bright yellowish (as compared to the bright headlamps) look to them.
                    If you simply want the fog lights to match the headlights and be brighter and more noticeable to oncoming traffic, but don't want to buy and install a new set of fog lights, Cyclemax also carries direct replacement LED bulb that "puts out the light of a 50 watt incandescent bulb while drawing less than 8 watts of power! It fits directly into the original socket and provides a much whiter light than the stock bulb".

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/50_w...bulb/73/233142
                    Last edited by PapasRide; 12-17-2014, 01:33 PM. Reason: Edited to add link to bulbs.

Also, BikeMP3 has their 960 fog lights. They are very bright, but I think they only fit the 2012+ models.
                      Costa Mesa, CA
                      2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by MMR View Post
                        You can either go directly to their website, for Electrical Connection, which...I will politely not post the link here, simply because they are not a forum sponsor, and...there is a possibility that one of the forum sponsors either carries the Electrical Connection Single Shooter LED lower cowl lights, or....a forum sponsor carries a lower cowl light that is very similar.

I believe in supporting forum sponsors, up to as much as we can, and if a product is not available through them, then we can tell members about other companies.

PM sent.
                        ec yes leds are very bright. its a complete system

I guess I should have specified I have a 2006 Goldwing. it looks like the single shooter lights are for the newer models.
                          Progressive Monotubes
                          All Balls
                          Dunlop E3 front

• MMR
                            MMR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Basil, you can mount that same Single Shooter lower cowl light on your '06 bike. I know this to be a fact, as I had an '06 at one time.
                            Despite what anyone else south of the 45th parallel might tell you...it will work.

Electrical Connection or EC makes a 10 watt Cree LED fog light kit for the 2001 - 2010 but it isn't on Cyclemax.com.

PM Sent

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page