Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Mounting on and off the Wing

When i ride two up with my wife i let her get on the bike before me. She is small about 120 lbs this seems to easiest way for her to get on, but if i ride with someone heavier i will get on and hold the wing for the my fear that the kick stand can break. Haven't read about any kick stands breaking but i am sure in wouldn't be a good thing for the both of us. How do you guys get on and off when riding two up.
    2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

YB, I have never heard of an OEM sidestand for an 1800 Wing ever breaking. I understand your concern, but I feel it is unwarranted.

As for how others have their pasengers mount and dismount their bikes, I think you should find the way that is most comfortable for you two, and be content with that. The bike will stand up to the weight,... so don't worry.....be happy

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

When it was a bike, I always mounted first to insure the bike was stable and she could accidently turn it over on the wrong side, etc. If not on level ground I've seen it happen where the bike is precariously close to actually being straight up. The slightest push to starboard would tilt her that way.

On the trike, she always mounts first because of the way she has to mount with her bad knees.

I get on the bile and put the side stand down. As my wife is getting on I take some weight off the side stand but never let it off the ground until I am ready to go.
        2008 GL1800 Titanium (cleanest color)
        2012 750 Shadow Aero (My scooter)

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
          When i ride two up with my wife i let her get on the bike before me. She is small about 120 lbs this seems to easiest way for her to get on, but if i ride with someone heavier i will get on and hold the wing for the my fear that the kick stand can break. Haven't read about any kick stands breaking but i am sure in wouldn't be a good thing for the both of us. How do you guys get on and off when riding two up.
          The Wife has been getting on all my wings the same way as yours. The bike has never minded one bit.

Mounting the Bike.
          She-Grabs left handlebar grip,places her left foot on left passenger board as she leans forward grabbing the right bar grip as she bends her right leg behind her and mounts the bike, placing her right foot of the right footboard as she sits down. Then lifts the utopia so I can toss my leg through/over the saddle.

Dismounting the Bike
          I get off first and grab her hand as she stands and dismounts the bike.

Now if the side stand should ever break?. I'd be standing right there anyways to catch her.

I too have Never heard of a side stand breaking.
          Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

I always mount first to stabilize the bike while my passenger is mounting.

Same here as Yellowbird and Rocky, let her get on first but I am always there to hold the bike just in case.
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Ken
              ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

I get on first with the side stand down. I stand up, lean forward while I take some pressure off the side stand she mounts just like getting on a horse.

When I had my 2 wheel wings, I would get on first and then my wife would step on her passenger board and get on. We do the same thing on our trike.
                  T.A. Jens
                  The Pizza Man
                  1800 06 White Champion Trike
                  2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                  2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                  GWRRA Life Member

I Always Mount my Passenger from Behind being older it's more comfortable for both of us
                    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

The Wife has been getting on all my wings the same way as yours. The bike has never minded one bit.

Mounting the Bike.
                      She-Grabs left handlebar grip,places her left foot on left passenger board as she leans forward grabbing the right bar grip as she bends her right leg behind her and mounts the bike, placing her right foot of the right footboard as she sits down. Then lifts the utopia so I can toss my leg through/over the saddle.

Dismounting the Bike
                      I get off first and grab her hand as she stands and dismounts the bike.

Now if the side stand should ever break?. I'd be standing right there anyways to catch her.

I too have Never heard of a side stand breaking.
                      +1

if you worry about the bike moving put it in reverse- works great as a parking brake

Everything that I have ever read says that the passanger is the last one on and the first one off. That being said, I ride solo but if I did ride with my wife I would have her get off last. That way, if the bike fell over, it would land on her and not damage the bike!

I think I'd kick her in the chest if I got on last. I'm always first to get on.
                          2013 Black F6B

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                            I Always Mount my Passenger from Behind being older it's more comfortable for both of us
                            Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
                            My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
                            "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Originally posted by flyerq68 View Post
                              Same here as Yellowbird and Rocky, let her get on first but I am always there to hold the bike just in case.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                                Whoe dud keep it clean My wife has a bad back, I hold the left handbar with one hand and help he up with the other.

I tell mine
                                  1- Get on
                                  2- Sit down
                                  3- Shut up.

Honest
                                  GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

• jmohme
                                    jmohme commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I might get away with 1 & 2, but 3 would hurt!

The wife (in my case) places her right foot on the my left rider peg, steps up and places her left foot onto her left passenger peg and simply sits back into the passenger seat - very smooth and all done in three fluid moves (with a little practice); all the while I'm firmly holding the handlebar while standing next to the left turn signal. Then I mount. We were shown this technique by the much older couple we bought our 03 from. Works like a charm.
                                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

You have to get used to whatever you need for 'normal'; you also need the capability of doing whatever is needed to keep both of you safe.

My situation: I'm on the bike first; my wife uses me stabilizing the bike to get on behind me & the backrest. I most cases, she wants me holding the bike upright.

To dismount, I'll normally get off first, then move the Utopia forward so she can do a right-leg/-hip swing to the left to dismount, with me stabilizing the left handlebar.

Much of this was as a result of her damaged left knee. Now, with replacement parts in there, it's now just forced habit on how to get on and off.

We can exactly reverse the dismount (her off first...) with a bit of additional effort; good to be able to to in the event the ground you've decided to park on isn't as level as you thought - you can hold the bike up, she can find the rock for the kickstand.
                                    Effective 09/29/2021, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

My wife is short and NOT 120 lbs (forty years married, I can get away with that) has had a knee replacement and the "good" knee is going bad so she gets all prepared, puts her right foot on the left foot board and steps up and I put my right leg under her leg and boost her up. She then swings her leg over. I just kick my right leg straight over the seat to keep from kicking her. We just reverse it getting off...me first and then her. Never been concerned about the side stand breaking.
                                      PS. We have both had our right knees replaced so it is "fun" sometimes getting on and off.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page