Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about "another" site ...

I just want to make sure I understand something ...
    every time I go to "another" site .. even if I don't post anything ..
    it gives them a count on traffic ??
    which generates $$ for them in the way of advertisers seeing the kind of traffic they have
    and thereby deciding if they want to advertise on their board ???

TIA

Watertown, CT .. Hiddenite, NC

I'm interested in this also. What you described, is the way I understand it. Even if you don't log in, you can still see the advertisements, so they get exposure.

Mopar's Wing
    2014 Level 3 Blacked out Blue
    Heli bars, Muth mirrors, Kuryakyn floorboards and LEDs, Corbin saddle
    Anderson SC

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

We'd have to see their contracts to know 100% how they're funded.
      Some sites get paid per "hit" (to the website).
      Some sites get paid per unique visit per day
      Some sites get paid per "click through" (clicking on an ad)
      Some sites get paid for more than one of the above categories (each of them pay different amounts per hit).

But... all websites use their hit count as a incentive for businesses to advertise.
      2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Most of the sites have Google ads that show up unless you are logged in, and some, even if you ARE logged in. Google ads pays based on clicks. So, ever time someone clicks on a Google ad, the website owner gets paid. You have to have quite a lot of traffic to make any money with Google ads, however. We have a Google ad running on the HOME page, but you don't see it if you are logged in, or at least, you are not supposed to.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

One of the marketing tools companies use to assist them in selling more advertising is to show prospective advertisers how much traffic their website receives, which in turn is supposed to entice those prospective advertisers that it is worth the money they spend.
          Richard
          Darksider #390
          Murgie's FAQ

Page views are the name of the game!

Well, I just spent 20 minutes lookin at all the sponsors here.

Originally posted by hparsons View Post
                We'd have to see their contracts to know 100% how they're funded.
                Some sites get paid per "hit" (to the website).
                Some sites get paid per unique visit per day
                Some sites get paid per "click through" (clicking on an ad)
                Some sites get paid for more than one of the above categories (each of them pay different amounts per hit).

But... all websites use their hit count as a incentive for businesses to advertise.
                SO, my understanding is that .. when I "lurk" on "the other web site" .. just clicking on their various "board pages" whether I want to see General Message Board, Tech Board or How To, Step by Step.. gives them a "HIT" and they "probably generate income" from advertiser's for that "HIT".
                Watertown, CT .. Hiddenite, NC

Originally posted by bozodriver View Post

SO, my understanding is that .. when I "lurk" on "the other web site" .. just clicking on their various "board pages" whether I want to see General Message Board, Tech Board or How To, Step by Step.. gives them a "HIT" and they "probably generate income" from advertiser's for that "HIT".

Yep.

When I told their Vendor person that I wasn't going to renew, she threw a bunch of numbers at me about pageviews and how their traffic has increased and I would be making a mistake if I didn't renew my legacy sponsorship. As previously said.. It's all about Page Views, logged in or not. They track every page you look at.
                    The Marketplace: Click Here For My Marketplace Section

CUSTOM EMBROIDERY- GET IT YOUR WAY!
                    Stone Front DSI#1197 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 @ 32 PSI

Originally posted by Matt Caswell View Post
                      When I told their Vendor person that I wasn't going to renew, she threw a bunch of numbers at me about pageviews and how their traffic has increased and I would be making a mistake if I didn't renew my legacy sponsorship. As previously said.. It's all about Page Views, logged in or not. They track every page you look at.
                      I find it hard to believe that their traffic has increased. Besides, the only number that really matters to a vendor is SALES. Since they would not allow me to post anything about my product, and their moderator routinely denigrated my product, it only cost me money. They did not deliver what they promised. I specifically asked them to confirm that I would have "legacy" status and be able to post in the General area (like you do). In fact, I even used your company as an example when asking them if I would have the same privileges. They confirmed, by email, that I would. That turned out to be false.

Also, after I started this forum, they banned me and took down my ad in August, even though I was paid up through October. Did they offer to refund the pro-rated amount? Hell no.

I learned that they had different rules for different vendors. They even allowed some non-paying members to promote their products in the General forums. I know of at least two companies that turned down becoming a vendor after hearing about my experience. So, they lost at least three potential sponsors just by screwing me over.

I am too old to do business with people who have no honor.
                      Last edited by Cruiseman; 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM.
                      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by bozodriver View Post

They probably generate some income from those hits (not very much, but they probably do). They almost without a doubt use those hits as a selling tool to attract other advertisers.
                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

I don't have a experience with the way they treat paying advertisor/vendors but believe what I'm reading. Judging only by the people they choose to serve as moderators and the way they treat forum members who are also paying customers of various and numerous motorcycle products vendors I estimate they will continue to decline.

I wonder if they understand that website members are also motorcycle industry customers?
                          Harvey Barlow
                          Crosby County, TX
                          2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
                          2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page