Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat tire...damn

Why is it that only new tires pick up nails? We just got home last night from 2 weeks in Europe, so this morning I could not wait to fire up the Wing and ride to coffee. But, as soon as I tried to back her out of the garage, I could feel the dreaded flat rear tire. Found a nice shiny nail. So, tomorrow I will get out the sticky rope and do my best to make it rideable. I guess it will get me through the Winter. No long distance rides planned until next Spring anyway.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Depending on the tread on the tire? I would remove the tire & do a patch from the inside...

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Haste Maker View Post
      Depending on the tread on the tire? I would remove the tire & do a patch from the inside...

X 2 especially since it's a new tire.

SBB

Bring the wheel over if you want to pop the tire off to fix it or change it....

I've also got a spare rim with a 704 on it that's probably got 1500+ miles left on it. Your welcome to use that up...
        '08 Goldwing Lvl 3
        '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
        '08 KTM 300XCW
        '07 Ducati 1098S
        www.gl1800visor.com

Sorry to hear about you bad luck. Glad you weren't testing the speedometer's ability to count past 99 when it occurred.
          Richard
          Darksider #390
          Murgie's FAQ

Cruiseman, you are going to have to "join the crowd" and buy a secondary rear wheel....mount a new tire on it...and have it collect dust in the garage, waiting for moments just like this. A lot of us have these dust collectors...waiting for moments...just like this.

Glad you are back from E-U-R-O-P-E okay.

Where do you guys get these spare wheels? Do you have just a rear or have both?

SBB

Originally posted by SBB View Post

SBB
                Rear wheels are easier to find and cheaper to buy since they are not reused when a bike is Triked. The front wheels are a little harder to come by and are more costly as a result. If you are patient you can find a rear wheel in new shape with a near-new tire on it for $75 (maybe less).
                Richard
                Darksider #390
                Murgie's FAQ

Don't ya just hate when that happens.

I agree with the others about patching it from the inside. Patch it and wear that tire out!

Murphy's luck. Yes its usually a newer tyre that picks up the nail. The bright side is you didn't find it after that coffee.
                      GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Thats just what I did...I think I paid 225.00 for this off of a 2014 with zero miles on it...The only thing I have not given any thought to yet is the TPMS my bike is a 2013.

John

John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Nice offer by ChrisE...cool...can't beat that

John
                          John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Originally posted by SBB View Post

SBB
                            Here's one with TPMS
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/281520068792...84.m1555.l2649

I bought my spare wheel & tire with zero miles off a 2013 (trike cov) from a Honda Shop that does trike kits -They have lots of rear wheels and tires- I suggest you call around local to you Shops and find a 12-14 rear wheel with TPMS - The ATEQ Activation tool works great to get you back on the road fast.

Since it took 2 weeks for the tire to lose air - I would Air it up and Ride it to the shop for a fresh tire repair or change out the tire.
                              Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Nobody seemed to be in favor of my sticky rope fix. I have pretty good luck with that stuff in the past

Protector of the realm.

Many a roadside tyre fix has been done with the rope kit. It works well from what I have seen. Shouldn't be a problem if its a simple nail. I carry one with me.
                                  GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Originally posted by TheGLForum View Post
                                    Nobody seemed to be in favor of my sticky rope fix. I have pretty good luck with that stuff in the past
                                    I would do it to ride to get home if on the road - I would never use sticky rope and leave it as FIXED - IMOP - Of course the risk is all yours - AIr the tire up with the nail in it and see how long it takes to drop air pressure over time or ride to shop and change the tire.
                                    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Originally posted by TheGLForum View Post
                                      I'm of mixed opinion on this one. I once got a nail in a brand new front tire (less than 200 miles). I replaced the tire. I've twice gotten nails in rear tires, once an a relatively new tire (less than 1000 miles) and once in a "about time to replace anyway" tire. On those, I repaired the new one, and replaced the old one. I'm a little less persnickity about the rear tire.
                                      2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Cruiseman, I am an advocate of the Stop n' Go Plug Gun kit, and I carry one with me wherever I ride. I have used it many times successfully, and....usually on some other riders tires (tyres...for Kiwi and Jeff) .

To me, the Stop n' Go Plug Gun works well. I have confidence to plug the tire correctly, and ride out the remaining life of that tire, however long that may be. Of course, it is more on your mind, than a non-repaired tire, but that just keeps you minding the tire pressure more often.

A great way to "practice" with the Stop n' Go Plug Gun kit, is to save a couple old used tires.....kind of like our wives do with keeping us old, used husbands around...and using that old tire, drill a hole in the tread area, or drive a screw into it. Then use the Stop n' Go Plug Gun kit to repair that hole. With the tire OFF the rim, you can SEE the mushroomed head of the rubber plug as it comes through the tread, and into the inside of the tire. Practice makes perfect, and that is certainly the case here.

In the case of Canada or New Zealand, insert the word TYRE in the appropriate places.

• hparsons
                                          hparsons commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Am I reading this right... Did you say to take your wife's used up old husband, drill a hole in his head, or drive a screw into it????

Wow... vindictive dude, aren't you?

• MMR
                                          MMR commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Yes, but that reference of the old, used husband was about ME, as her 1st husband is longer riding his motorycles on this planet. So, not vindictive, just aware that she may use my head as practice for...something.
                                      Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page