Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop tips and good ideas.

I have an office chair with wheels on the bottom that is handy to sit on when doing some jobs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images[2].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	34971

GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

This is a really good bit of kit when dealing with the dreaded void. Saves a lot of time stripping off the plastics looking for that bolt.

Name:	imagesA3NARHWJ.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	34979

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I saved a few old cardboard egg cartons in which to put fasteners, screws and smaller parts as I disassemble my bike. Helps keep parts together that go back on at the same time when reassembling. I can write on the cartons if necessary to help me remember where the parts came from. It's been a big help a couple of times.

My kids had a set of those alphabet pads for the floor that are like workshop floor pads. I use them whenever I have to kneel or sit on the floor. Theyre about an inch thick and in the fall they help insulate against the cold floor.

I like to use peg boards for my go to tools.

Here's a few things that were cheap and easy to do.

I made a zip tie holder, for different lengths of zip ties, out of PCV pipe

To hold the peg board hooks securely, I found the little gizmos called PegMates.

To hold all my socket wrenches, I used a piece of wood, found a 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket that matched up in diameter to common size wood drill bits. I bought a few of each socket and pressed them into the wood.

'08 Goldwing Lvl 3
          '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC
          '08 KTM 300XCW
          '07 Ducati 1098S
          www.gl1800visor.com

When I remove the top shelter for service, I use a piece of cardboard that with holes that correspond to every screw in it. As I remove the screws, the get pushed into the corresponding hole on the cardboard. they are snug fit, so I am not chasing loose screws and I don't have to try to remember where the longer or shorter screws go.

Nice Chris. Now, show us the poster of the Tool Girl with the Bodacious Tatas.
              Richard
              Darksider #390
              Murgie's FAQ

An old set of drawers with some wheels is good for storing hand tools.
                My set fits under my bench and I use the top to place the tool I am using at the time.

Name:	2014-12-08 16.38.01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	35058

Wrench organizer using scrap pieces of 12/2 wire.

Some left over outlet boxes for misc screws, washers, bolts.....

A magnetized kitchen utensil holder for tips and bits.

Pretty much everything I make is from left over's and scrap. I really enjoy re purposing. Either that or I'm just so tight I squeak! LOL I ended up with a few sheets of slat wall, but when I went to purchase hangers for it, they were way to expensive for me. I have slat wall, but everything is screw or nailed to hang from it. ...yup just tight!

I love the slat wall and used in quite a bit in my TN garage. When I moved to TX, I left it in my TN garage which I now regret as it's expensive stuff. I found it very practical for heavier/bulky items.

I brought all my hangers and hooks with me, but they are sat in a storage box in my attic.

'08 Goldwing Lvl 3
                    '08 KTM 300XCW
                    '07 Ducati 1098S
                    www.gl1800visor.com

In my NJ garage, I had 12' 5" ceilings in my 3 car garage with three individual doors. The wife suggested that I get a car lift for one of the bays.

So I did and installed it in the center bay. I had the garage door modified and the opener relocated up against the ceiling rather than being suspended about 5ft below the ceiling.

The lift legs were slightly wider than the width of the garage door and lift platform could go a 6'7" high. The car ramps were 16' long by 6' wide, so I used 8 sheets of 3/4" plywood, make two 8' x 8' x 1.5" sections and created a wooden platform that gave me a 16' x 8' storage platform on top of the car lift.

On the back wall of the garage, I basically built a 23 foot long by 4ft deep shelf, 6' 6" off the ground. I placed the car lift close to the shelf on the back wall to I could use it as an elevator and store bikes up on the back wall shelf.

I stored motorcyles, my ride on mower and ATV's on it. It was rated at 9000lbs, who go up in about 60 seconds and come down in about 15 seconds.

It was like gaining an extra garage bay.

The lift worked on 110v, 15A, so I didn't need any special wiring.

The car lift delivered

Starting to frame the shelf on my back garage wall

I put a rope railing on it with a removable section

Car Lift placed so I could wheel motorcycles onto the shelf, notice the 8' ladder standing up in the bottom right corner.

My Ducati 996 and Bimota DB2 stored up on the back shelf

Looking down on the car lift platform

There was enough height to park my Suburban underneath and have my R1200RT on the platform

'08 Goldwing Lvl 3
                      '08 KTM 300XCW
                      '07 Ducati 1098S
                      www.gl1800visor.com

In FL, I had a 3 car garage, a double door and a single door. The ceiling height was 10ft, so I installed the car lift side ways across the double bay. I could still get the ATV and lawn mower on it, but the lower garage ceiling did not allow me to store my bikes up there and still be able to walk below the lift.

I wanted to build a platform again, on the back wall, so I built it on top of these cabinets that I built.

Starting to build the doors

I made a 3' wide platform, on top of the cabinets that ran the entire length of the rear garage wall.

'08 Goldwing Lvl 3
                        '08 KTM 300XCW
                        '07 Ducati 1098S
                        www.gl1800visor.com

There are a LOT of great ideas being shared here from all you guys. Many tips that even an old-timer like me can pick up on, and use in my own shop. I thank YOU all for that, and for sharing. I am going to incorporate many of those ideas into my own workspace in my shop.

Chris, like the idea of the 4 poster car lift to add an additional level for storing vehicles. Mine is "only" a 2 poster lift, but it allows me to lift any vehcile I want, including any my bikes...one at a time, though.

Name:	CT on bike 006.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	35083

Wow. That's makes my shed look .. well really humble.

I made up some free standing shelving. Then I bought a stack of plastic bins to keep bits and pieces in.

Name:	2014-12-09 18.35.17.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	35205

A good vice is helpful at times.

Name:	2014-12-09 18.35.42.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	35207

I grabbed an old bookcase for storage as well.. Yes I am on a budget. Haha.

Name:	2014-12-09 18.35.55.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	35209

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                                  An old set of drawers with some wheels is good for storing hand tools.
                                  My set fits under my bench and I use the top to place the tool I am using at the time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n35058[/ATTACH]

I like a small tool cart, got to boxes, get all you need and wheel it over to the Bike Lift! I am with you, yours does look cool!
                                  """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                                  I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

• Kiwi
                                    Kiwi commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Ha ha. I'm not sure about cool - maybe a little bit Hillbilly.
                                    I have to make do with I can find. I would love a bigger shed like Chris has, now that is really cool.

Good thread! Getting some ideas for my shop. Thanks Kiwi.

All great ideas but I have to build a bigger shop first :-)
                                    [SIZE=12px][B][COLOR=#B22222]08 Metallic Red GL1800 HPN[/COLOR][/B]
                                    [B]G.W.R.R.A. 350144 / FL Prowler #144 / DS #1613
                                    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55R-16[/B]
                                    [B]Bob & Gerri - Goldenrod FL[/B][/SIZE]

I like looking in other peoples garages, gives me great ideas.

SBB

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page