Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News about the Dragon's tail

Thank the lord for small favors. I'm not really a big fan of the Dragon any more but I'm glad that the big trucks will no longer be allowed
    Jimmy Chance
    CEO Quality Machine Co
    Savannah, GA
    912-665-1846

That's way pass due. Glad to hear that.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Good deal. About time
      2013 Red Airbag 1800

Hey, Jimmy, since when are you no longer a fan of the Dragon's Tail ? And, how is Little Dawg ? Still throwing sparks off those footpeg scrapers ?

I do agree that Hwy 28 was a lot more fun.

Originally posted by MMR View Post

Right on, right on!!
          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

More than 30' would limit many vehicles including my truck and the bike trailer, unless I'm missing something?

A little past due, but really a great idea because of the stated reasons. I always thought that it was somewhat irresponsible to block two full lanes of traffic on a hairpin curve. Apparently, Tennessee finally figured out the same thing.
              2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
              2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
              AMA Life Member 0672853
              IBA Member 8846 Premier
              NRA Life Member

Originally posted by MMR View Post
                Hey, Jimmy, since when are you no longer a fan of the Dragon's Tail ? And, how is Little Dawg ? Still throwing sparks off those footpeg scrapers ?

Hey, I remember the Dragon's tail before it became famous. Now, with the lower speed limits, all the idiots and cops, it just isn't much fun.

Thanks for asking about Tracy. She tripped an fell with a large skillet of HOT grease and burned her feet and legs. She has gone thru 2 surgeries and skin grafts. If you remember, when we got to the dragon, I didn't ride through with the group, I took off back down 28.

We are back in the Burn Center this morning for a follow up. Her last surgery was a week ago.
                Jimmy Chance
                CEO Quality Machine Co
                Savannah, GA
                912-665-1846

• MMR
                  MMR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jimmy, PM sent.

Its about time most of the 18 wheelers are using GPS which puts them on that route there also new drivers who just follow the unit.
                2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Is the Dragon in existence as a motor vehicle thoroughfare or a race track for motorcycles? I've never been on the Dragon but have been on similar roads and agree that 18 wheelers don't belong there. But neither do motorcycles who are there only to tear the place up with blinding speed and reckless maneuvers only to slide off the road and die in the trees. Too many crashes involving motorcycles seems to be the issue and it's not being addressed.
                  2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Originally posted by azdryheat View Post
                    Is the Dragon in existence as a motor vehicle thoroughfare or a race track for motorcycles? I've never been on the Dragon but have been on similar roads and agree that 18 wheelers don't belong there. But neither do motorcycles who are there only to tear the place up with blinding speed and reckless maneuvers only to slide off the road and die in the trees. Too many crashes involving motorcycles seems to be the issue and it's not being addressed.
                    I believe more cruisers and touring bikes crash on the Dragon than Sport bikes do. So many of the accidents happen because the riders don't have the experience in the mountains and simply get over their head. It is being addressed more than you could ever know. Tennessee State partol has officers there every day. Not to mention that the speed limit has been reduced several times over the past few years. If I remember correctly, back in the last centry the speed limit was 50 mph and now it is 30 mph with zero tollerance.
                    Jimmy Chance
                    CEO Quality Machine Co
                    Savannah, GA
                    912-665-1846

I rode the Dragon this last September on a Friday about 3pm and it was all I expected for that day and time. Cops, crashes and meat wagons. It was a Wing and other big bikes that were crashing - no surprise there.
                      I'll bet it was a hoot before it became famous.

Be honest. Tail of the Dragon is nothing more than a great PR campaign. I was halfway down it in the rain coming from the opposite direction before realizing I was on it the first time. And only then realized it because I saw one of the camera guys. I thought, "Hmmm, this is it?"

There are thousands of similar roads throughout KY, WV, VA, TN, etc. And quite honestly, a lot more with much much better scenery. Everyone should get/take the opportunity to ride the Tail and get the t-shirt. Then, keep on riding. Moonshine 28, Back of the Dragon and all of the others out there that make riding worth living. Hell, on the other side of Gatlinburg there's a country road that eventually peters off into a gravel road that puts the Tail to shame. They're all good.
                        2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                        USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                        US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                        2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                        2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Glad to hear they are stopping them. It will make it safer for sure!
                          """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                          I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

Click image for larger version

Name:	10487227_10203319613262613_2981677139600243858_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	34374
                            Originally posted by Rick Mays View Post
                            Glad to hear they are stopping them. It will make it safer for sure!

Yeah, even though I don't ride it much anymore, I will slid through there once or twice a year, especially if I buy a new bike and want a picture to add to the collection. My son loves it and has spent the better part of a day playing on it. He also loves taking newbies through there, like I used to do. Our North Carolina house is less than an hour away so during the riding season, we are in the area a lot.
                            Jimmy Chance
                            CEO Quality Machine Co
                            Savannah, GA
                            912-665-1846

Awesome picture, Jimmy!

Originally posted by Big Dawg View Post
                                Originally posted by murgie View Post
                                Awesome picture, Jimmy!
                                Nice pic indeed. Thanks Jimmy. Is that the kickstand that is dragging?
                                Richard
                                Darksider #390
                                Murgie's FAQ

Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post

Nice pic indeed. Thanks Jimmy. Is that the kickstand that is dragging?
                                  Nope, it is the little feeler on the bottom of the foot peg. The Concours is a fun bike to ride and the suspension is so much better than our wings even with the Traxion upgrades. Not to mention it is lighting fast. Hey Murgie, I guess you know that South Carolina Flip now has a Concours and the other fellow that you met at my house, Jerry Stewart who was riding the Air Bag wing has also bought a Concours.
                                  Jimmy Chance
                                  CEO Quality Machine Co
                                  Savannah, GA
                                  912-665-1846

Yes Jimmy, I heard. Hope they take it easy on us old man bike riders. LOL.

Okay, truth be told, Big Dawg loves to swap out the small nubs that come on the bottoms of the footpegs, and install Titanium scrappers, so that it throws the sparks you see in this picture. The evidence to this is....look very carefully at the footpeg on the right side of the bike, and look at the "much longer" feeler that has been installed on the bottom of the footpeg.

Not to worry though....as only us few that have "followed" Jimmy (Big Dawg) through the curves have ever had our riding pants set on fire by the sparks from his titanium scrappers.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page