Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Retract Pistons

In case you don't know this I found easy way to press all the pistons back into the caliper. I used a spring clamp.

Cool and useful trick- thanks, "Pop"

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Maybe not, his brakes are dragging (in another thread).
      2011 Harley Ultra Limited

Caliper pistons should be cleaned before being pushed back into the caliper (s).

Dirty pistons can contaminate the brake fluid as the dirt breaks down or cause a piston to stick depending on how dirty it is?.

Large channel locks or a C-clamp using an old pad. will draw all three pistons back in at the same time.

• MMR
          MMR commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah..what Rocky said. I do the same thing...gently blow it all down with compressed air (gently), then spray the entire caliper with Brake Cleaner, then blow dry with air again, THEN.....compress the pistons using an old pad, and channel lock pliers. Also, lube the heck out of all contact points, and slider pins.

Thanks for reminding me Rocky getting ready to replace my pads i do blow everything down with air.
        2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Large channel locks or a C-clamp using an old pad. will draw all three pistons back in at the same time.
          A ratchet style C-clamp (and the old pad) is what I used. I used to use a small piece of wood with a C-clamp, then one day I happened to look down and saw the old pads sitting there, and realized I was missing the trees for the forest.
          2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page