X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Clothes: In Your Opinion

First question: Full jacket or Vest
    Second Question: Manufacturer: Gerbing, Aerostitch or ???
    PS: I live in SW Ohio, and ride pretty much all year long (except for snow or ice on the road)
    Thanks gang
    Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
    04 All White
    Mich Alpin PA3
    Darkside #956

Full jacket liner, if not and you get the vest, you lose out on two major arteries to heat up the blood to circulate. The two you lose is the radial and brachial. And Warm N Safe has served us well over the years, he used to build the controllers for Gerbing till they outsourced them to China, then they came back crying to him to have him build them again, he said no and started his own company, his products are top notch. Warm N Safe heated clothing.
    """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
    I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have been using Gerbings Heated Clothing for about 30 years....(almost) never leave home without them. But I do live in the North, and "prefer" to ride in the colder weather, rather than the hot weather. If it gets too hot...I don't ride !

Full jacket liner....that allow the electric gloves to plug in. Full pants liner...that plugs into the jacket liner, and allows electric socks to plug into the pants liner.

Never had any problems with Gerbings Heated Clothing, but...now that they have sold the company, to a venture capitalist group, and changed how things operate, I will be sending any future purchases to Gordons' Heated Clothing. http://gordonsheated.com/index.html

I personally know all the family members that started Gerbings....and the remaining family members that make up the new Gordon's Heated Clothing. They know their products well, and back them up with excellent customer service.

I agree on the full jacket liner. I have Gerbings and like them. However as Rick notes There is WarmNSafe, Aerostitch sells its elelctric gear, First Gear has electrical heated gear and I understand that the gentleman who originated Gerbings has returned to the manufacture and sale with a new product. I believe it was called Gordons. The point I am trying to make is there are a lot of folks making and selling these outfits so you can shop around. However price is not always the best indicator of quality.
        Harvey
        Ride Safe and Ride Often

I had the gerbings pants & jacket liners...until I learned about the gerbings extreme armored pants & jacket...not only is the extreme outfit armored but (mine) is waterproof...don't know about what they are selling now, since Mr. Gerbings sold the company.

I have a earlier Gerbings(pre-microwire) jacket liner, Warm-n-Safe socks and pant liners. The socks get almost too hot, but everything works very well. I should probably wear them over thicker socks I've ridden for hours in 30 degree temps, and was perfectly comfortable. Wife has the same setup, except all Warm-N-Safe. We don't use them enough to give a report on reliability.
            Costa Mesa, CA
            2012 RED GL1800

Full jacket for sure. There are Cycle Gear stores every couple hundred miles around here, so I bought the wife and I the Sedichi gear. It has a lifetime warranty, walk into any Cycle Gear store if you are on the road having problems, and they will give you new stuff. No sending it in and waiting. It works great, no problems what so ever in two years. I bought the Warm&Safe wireless controllers, they are very nice. I bought my gear in the springtime, they run it on sale for half price.

Gerbing early design jacket is what I use, about 8 yrs old. I suggest the jacket as mentioned by others here. I have Gerbing gloves, not the G3 gloves. Later version.

If I need heated items in the future, I would look at Gordons gear, then Warm n Safe
                2013 Red Airbag 1800

Definitely the full jacket. I've had issues with Gerbings. The internal wires in the jacket that go down the sleeves for the gloves no longer work. I've had gloves that have failed. One pair I sent back for repair and Gerbings fixed the problem. I had to send a second pair back and now I have a hot spot in the right glove. I'll be looking at Warm n Safe next time,

• Gordons Heated
                    Gordons Heated commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try Gordon's. Our gloves are deer hide and MADE IN AMERICA. No other heated clothing company has their gloves made in America.

I have been using the Powerlet Rapidfire Jacket liner.........it's perfect for my needs. I would not get a heated vest, it will not keep you as comfortable as the full liner.
                  '12 GL1800 Level 4 & '08 FLHX Darksider #1378

Another vote here for the full jacket liner. My only experience has been with the Tourmaster Synergy heated gear. After 2 years, I've been very pleased with it.
                    Ron
                    2002 GL1800A Darksider #1312
                    Experience is the hardest teacher because she gives the test first,
                    and the lesson afterward ~ Vernon Sanders Law

I have Warm&Safe and they have worked great for a few years now. Get a full liner.

Originally posted by Duckster View Post
                        Full jacket for sure. There are Cycle Gear stores every couple hundred miles around here, so I bought the wife and I the Sedichi gear. It has a lifetime warranty, walk into any Cycle Gear store if you are on the road having problems, and they will give you new stuff. No sending it in and waiting. It works great, no problems what so ever in two years. I bought the Warm&Safe wireless controllers, they are very nice. I bought my gear in the springtime, they run it on sale for half price.
                        I have the Sedichi liner and gloves. I got in the (bad) habit of letting the gloves dangle as I walked into my office, and that action wore through cord (which is actually in the liner). I took the liner back, explained what had happened, and they replaced it with no problem.

The liner and the gloves are quite warm, with the gloves actually to hot most of the time unless I used the medium setting. North Texas is a moderate climate, so your mileage may vary, but I was quite comfortable on my hour commute when the temps got down to the high teens.

I don't wear electric pants, but I do have a nice set of lined Colorado Chaps. Between those, the gloves, and the liner, I ride around pretty comfortable even when it's cold.
                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Full liner. Awesome heat. Lots of options to chose from. Tom

My experience has been with Warm & Safe gear made for First Gear. Mike @ W&S is wonderful to work with to answer any question. He stands behind his stuff. Can't say enough good things about him.
                            Coop

Full jacket liner for sure. I have that and the gloves and am good for whatever comes my way while touring. I have had the First Gear stuff made by Warm and ?Safe for several years now and am well pleased.
                              Recently moved to TN my native state, Feels good to be back home.

I also have the Warm n Safe full jacket and gloves. Best Christmas present my wife could have gotten me. I like the wireless controller for it.
                                Learn to ride your bike so your bike doesn't ride you....

I have a Gerbings jacket liner and Warm-n-safe glove liners. The jacket liner is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The glove liners work fine, as long as you have heated grips. I think that w/o heated grips, full heated gloves would be much better.

Keep in mind that there are both insulated and uninsulated liners. The Gerbings are insulated and the Warm N Safe are not. I know others will disagree but I prefer the uninsulated. It gives you a wider range of comfort in my opinion. You can leave home when it is dark and cold and then when it warms up you dont have to stop and remove the liner.

Bandito, in general your theory is correct. I too prefer an non-insulated jacket liner, compared to an insulated jacket liner. However, when you said that "Gerbings are insulated".....that is not entirely accurate. I have both jacket liners from Gerbings....both the insulated version, and the non-insulated version. I use the non-insulated version, by choice.

So, to be accurate, Gerbings (at least used to) make both an insulated version of the jacket liner, and a non-insulated version of the jacket liner.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page