Has your other half lost interest in riding?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has your other half lost interest in riding?

I fear that my SO has lost interest in riding. It is sad because some of my favorite memories are from our long road trips together. I was wondering if any others out there have had to deal with this?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I think it's coming...
    2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
    2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
    AMA Life Member 0672853
    IBA Member 8846 Premier
    NRA Life Member

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

If anything my wife is wanting to ride more. She will retire next year and is planning rides for us now.
      Larry
      Red 2008 GL1800 (The Fastest Color)

Nope, I think Sue loves riding more then me but she has some years to catch up to me.

Since we bought the trike she likes to ride again. We saw a bad motorcycle accident once and it scared her away for a long time but she feels safe now.
          She's happy, I'm happy. She's unhappy, I'm not allowed to be happy. 48 years married to her so I know what is expected.
          2012 Goldwing CSC Viper Trike
          Retired MSF Instructor

I'm still the chauffeur...and from time to time, I do get a chance to take it by myself...

Shortly after her knee surgery, her goal was to get back on the bike as soon as she felt good enough. That took about three months to get to that point; and just a few weeks ago, we rode the bike over for her six month final follow-up visit to the doc - good to go!
            Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

My ex wouldn't get on the wing even if it was sitting on the center stand..........sometimes I miss her!

Mine not only likes to ride with me,but she rides her own bike too.

We were just talking about a nice northern Ca trip early next year to hit some roads on our bucket list.

So she's not ready to say "have a good ride and be safe" just yet.

If and when that time comes? It will be Vette time again for us.

Trikes just don't cut it for us. (Sorry guys)

Great reads guys. I remember when my buddy delivered my first Trike and the look on my lovely brides face, (she had no idea what I had bought, LOL). I quickly asked my friend Bob to take her for a ride since I still had no clue . . . . . . I mean I was learning. She loved it and has never looked back. Not long after I still can remember when she said, at the age of 48, I want my own bike. Well, you know the drill about Mamma being happy, so off I went and got her a Shadow Ace 750 which she took right to. She loves riding. The long trips are on the Trike and the more "local" rides (couple hundred miles) you can find her giving all the boys a run for their money on two wheels.

Chris, take your wife on a ride with a Trike and I bet you will never look back, other than to see if the trailer is still there.
                  __________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
                  Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

My wife and I have been married 20 years and she has always enjoyed riding. We've used the bike for vacations, weekends and day rides and she always enjoyed the trip. Fourteen years ago, we bought a Valkyrie which we both enjoyed a lot more than the previous bike but about two years ago she began talking about Goldwings. Also, about two years ago, she began to want to drive to places that we would normally ride to.

Thinking that a GW might get her enthusiasm for riding back, we bought one. She loves the GW, says it's great in every respect, but we still use the car for trips that we used to take the bike on. Luckily she doesn't mind me taking off on a trip but it's not the same.

Ever since I've had my F6B the wife is more interested in going for rides with me.
                      2013 Black F6B

She is not too interested in the shorter day rides as much as she used to be but she really enjoys the long rides. I have plenty of those in the forecast.
                        Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

My wife enjoys riding. Now that we have the trike, she really enjoys it as she feels safer.
                          She did have to give up snowmobiling due to having neck surgery a few years ago.
                          T.A. Jens
                          The Pizza Man
                          1800 06 White Champion Trike
                          2005 Bunkhouse Camper
                          2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
                          GWRRA Life Member

I actually think that if I ever get to the point that I can't ride she'll find someone else to haul her around.Can't see her not wanting to ride any time soon.
                            Chris
                            Darkside # 1602
                            If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                              I fear that my SO has lost interest in riding. It is sad because some of my favorite memories are from our long road trips together. I was wondering if any others out there have had to deal with this?
                              Mine lost interest near 20yrs. ago. I ask, but she always says no. At least she can't say I don't ask.
                              "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Since our bad accident in March my wife says she will never get back on the bike. I must say that if I had got broken up like her I might have had second thoughts too. I always told her that she was my best riding buddy and I truly meant it. We started back riding about 10 years ago after getting our son raised and truly had a ball. In that 10 year period we have been all over the U.S. & Canada. Last year we took our Trip of a lifetime" spending the whole month of June out west covering 15,000 miles. I'm so thankful we were able to do this together before the accident. Even as much as I like to ride it's just not gonna be the same.
                                [HR][/HR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My lovely bride has owned and ridden her own motorcycle for over 40 years (Goldwings since 1987). She loves riding as much as I do and she is my best riding buddy.

My SO isn't very interested anymore
                                    Trying to get here to do more short trips.

Mine still likes to get on the bike for short rides, and she has a bit (to a lot of ADD), so for the longer riders, there needs to be something to keep her engaged.

Great scenery and/or interesting sites and she is happy. Of great value for the long rides is the "Princess Package", which includes me doing my homework, using the web and TripAdvisor and proposing a trip that includes cool sites and breaks, interesting places to eat, comfy and clean places to stay overnight.

I find if she is engaged in the planning early, and I listen to her question and requests, she will "own" the trip as much as I do. She has no problems getting up and on the bike as the sun rises, but there will be unhappy back seat if we are not done and sitting pool side by 3pm.

However, there is no problems if we get in our room around 3pm, have a quick shower, and then back on the bike for short trips around our overnight destination, as long as there is quality walking time in the town or along the sights and ideally a nice beach.

Mexico was great because there was always something new and exciting to see. Every little village, (and check stops!!), new town and beach kept the ADD in check.
                                      Prolonged stop and go traffic in the heat will quickly push the ADD into the "Danger Zone"!!

The long speed run down I5 from Canada to Mexico would be impossible so the fly and ride program,for the wife, along the "Princess Package", and stopping for whatever picture she wanted to takes.resulted in a final report of "That was the best trip ever!!"

Rick
                                      2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
                                      DS 1126
                                      15 Tiger 800 XCX
                                      14 WR250R
                                      95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                                        My wife has become hard to get to motivate her to ride, but once we do; she will mention (usually several times) during and after the ride how much she enjoys it. I think she forgets she likes it until she gets on it again. Or maybe she's just so busy with other stuff, she thinks she doesn't have the time.

Here's a suggestion. Remove the ride as the focus for her. For instance, I really don't like going to movies. If my wife suggests a movie, I suggest we go on the bike. We both end up happy; and frequently we'll decide to go "the long way home" on the way back.
                                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page