Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have the EC Tank Bag?

I had a magnetic bag on my ST and really miss the convenience of having one on the Wing.

I've tried adding heavy magnets in the "air bag" compartment (no airbag), but it just doesn't stick. I don't like straps.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/...18-tankbag.htm

I like this, I think it would be great to have the map right in front of you when riding down the highways. It does not confirm if this works on the 2012 and up but I don't know why it wouldn't. Nice little storage place as well for phone or camera or more. I look forward to some people who have them to let us know how they are performing.
    Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Well I ordered it with the map pocket. On my '13 it won't interfere with the audio, but might with my drink holder when expanded.

Nice design -- added it to my Christmas wish list.

I have the EC tank bag. It comes in real handy. I have probably had it for 5 plus years. I really like the map cover.

Negatives:
          1. it does minimally interfere with gas fillups. You need a way to hold it up out of the way. I normally turn the handlebars and let it rest on them.
          2. Obviously it covers the radio buttons. This is a negative in that you have to raise the bag to get to them. But it may be a positive because I suspect it keeps rain off the buttons.
          3. It aint cheap.
          4. the black does fade over time from the sun beating down on it.

Positives:
          1. It is waterproof, but I do spray it with scotchgard almost annually
          2. It has a lot of space, more than I need.
          3. The map cover is really great as the clear part is still like original and this unit has been through a lot of rain, long hot days in the sun.
          4. It is well made as mine is only off for maintenance like putting in a new air filter. It is very easy to remove and install.

I like mine as I do like a place to have a map handy as well as a place to keep sunglasses and other miscellaneous stuff like sunscreen.
          Harvey
          Ride Safe and Ride Often

Well it came a few weeks back and I did the install.

Sure didn't like the flex in the hinge plate. It would allow the bag to swing about an inch each way. Just that short little test revealed semi-circular swirl marks on my fuel door. Not sure what prolonged cross winds would do to the paint.

The pictures on the EC website showed a blank key/radio knob in the fuel door to act as a spacer. I guess that would have reduced the friction.

Ended up sending it back and got credit, minus the 2 way shipping. 30 dollar experiment....

Looks like it's no longer offered. Might be back on the drawing board?

I too had a tank bag on a previous ST1300 and would love to have one on my Goldwing but just don't believe there are any products available that I would be pleased with due to location of the wing's audio system controls and gas fill door.

I considered a highly recommended Goldwing tank bag made by some woman on a website. It was considered an excellent product by some on an unmentionable GW website but in my opinion it could not overcome the challenges presented by the Goldwings audio system and gas fill.

Likewise I looked at the EC version and decided not to try it.

I even tried attaching velcro tabs on each side of the top cover and matching tabs on the straps of the tank bag to mount the ST tank bag. I used it for one trip and didn't like the constant need to move it to switch satellite radio channels or refuel.

I gave up on the idea.
              Harvey Barlow
              Crosby County, TX
              2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
              2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Originally posted by Shoeman View Post
                Well it came a few weeks back and I did the install.

Sure didn't like the flex in the hinge plate. It would allow the bag to swing about an inch each way. Just that short little test revealed semi-circular swirl marks on my fuel door. Not sure what prolonged cross winds would do to the paint.

The pictures on the EC website showed a blank key/radio knob in the fuel door to act as a spacer. I guess that would have reduced the friction.

Ended up sending it back and got credit, minus the 2 way shipping. 30 dollar experiment....

Looks like it's no longer offered. Might be back on the drawing board?

Might be a good idea to apply the clear bra film from 3M to protect the paint,
                GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

Might be a good idea to apply the clear bra film from 3M to protect the paint,
                  That probably would have helped, but if it flops around with every 18 wheeler I pass....

I think the stock of the hinge needed to be heavier, but then it wouldn't fit into the slot below the ignition switch.

The one HBarlow mentioned has a starting price of $285 and goes up from there.

I might just try to order a new cover for the empty airbag compartment and add some magnetic pucks for my old bag, or just give up....lol The audio switches are a non-issue on the newer Wings, since they're placed on the left hand side of the fairing.

Back to my drawing board....

I might just make a pouch out of isinglass with a sunbrella binding for map and direction purposes to fit on the compartment. I do know a guy that does sewing. lol

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page