Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a bad boy-a ban is probably coming

Well, I guess my time on the other gl forum is short as I will probably get banned. I had the lack of judgement to ask a question about why a reset of the ECM would be needed and i commented I thought it would be silly for a system to be like,this. I guess someone felt I questioned their judgement and expierence. I was just asking questions and hit a nerve. They said they were so done with the thread. I suggested they stop wearing their feelings in thier cuff and put thier big boy pants on. Jeeze. I still don't get why a modern computer controlled system would require a ECM reset for a air filter change. I know of no other vehicles that require this. Even my Stone Age harley FI does not require this.

I did go back and edit a comment out to try to be professional.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Good luck with the other place and welcome to this forum. I am curious as well as to why this needs to be done to a sophisticated machine just for an air filter change.
      Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

Originally posted by Rick S View Post
        Well, I guess my time on the other gl forum is short as I will probably get banned. I had the lack of judgement to ask a question about why a reset of the ECM would be needed and i commented I thought it would be silly for a system to be like,this. I guess someone felt I questioned their judgement and expierence. I was just asking questions and hit a nerve. They said they were so done with the thread. I suggested they stop wearing their feelings in thier cuff and put thier big boy pants on. Jeeze. I still don't get why a modern computer controlled system would require a ECM reset for a air filter change. I know of no other vehicles that require this. Even my Stone Age harley FI does not require this.
        I guess the gist of the thing is: 1. Honda recommends it and explains why. 2. It restores an erratic idle speed. I suppose to know every tiny detail as to what it does or does not do, one would need to ask Mother Honda because that is their procedure... And Mother Honda ain't talking. It is not any judgement of the masses, so questioning really is not relevant.
        2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
        2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
        AMA Life Member 0672853
        IBA Member 8846 Premier
        NRA Life Member

I never have to reset the ECM on my car.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
            My point exactly

My point exactly
              Me either...
              AMA Life Member 0672853
              IBA Member 8846 Premier
              NRA Life Member

Jeffy and fartman have been on an extremelu uncontrolled free for all.. I got banned under 3 different screen names within about 2 months.. Decided to lay low for a bit.. running low on screen names over on the "other" site.

I have never had to reset the ECM on my Goldwing. I have done it from time to time, but have never seen any effect one way or the other.

In the early days of electronic engine controls on cars, especially GM products, we would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ECM's when a customer complained about minor problems like surges or erratic idle. I believe that the system on the Goldwing uses the reset just to establish a baseline for fuel mapping at idle. It is pretty a pretty old school system, so I can see why it might need to be done at times.

I wonder what the record is?
                    AMA Life Member 0672853
                    IBA Member 8846 Premier
                    NRA Life Member

If I'm not mistaken. I am the record holder for number of times banned using the same board name..lol

A good friend had this made for me..

This side says it all for me!!

**You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
                      I whispered back "Bring Beer"

That's hilarious.

It's nice to see some migration to a new hangout. I was not looking forward to being on my own when it came time to repair something that was above my pay grade.
                        2010 Black GL1800

Nice shirt Rocky!

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                            If I'm not mistaken. I am the record holder for number of times banned using the same board name..lol

A good friend had this made for me..

This side says it all for me!!

That's too funny!

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                              I've never had to reset an ECM, but autos do have their own "set" of oddities. When I do my own oil change on my Envoy, I have to do a weird set of turning on the ignition; Turn the ignition to on without starting the engine. Fully push and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times with-in five seconds. Check to ensure the change oil light flashes. I suspect that when the ECM is reset, it's to reset some internal setting similarly.
                              2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

The only time a ECM on the GL1800 needs to be reset is if an owner or new owner discovered a rats nest on top of the air filter. and even then the bike would have a driveability issue.
                                If after the air filter was changed and it still had rough??
                                A ECM reset would be suggested so the FI system could rest itself, now that it could breath again.

Honda naturally isn't going to type in a service manual every possible reason out there why you'd need to do a ECM reset. So they said what they did to CYA. lol

I have never had to do a ECM reset in all the bikes I found with a nasty looking Air Filter in them. They ran smooth after the filter was changed.

In the end-it's your bike and you need to do what makes you feel better about when you work on your own bike. You're the only one that counts!
                                **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
                                I whispered back "Bring Beer"

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                                  The only time a ECM on the GL1800 needs to be reset is if an owner or new owner discovered a rats nest on top of the air filter. and even then the bike would have a driveability issue. If after the air filter was changed and it still had rough?? A ECM reset would be suggested so the FI system could rest itself, now that it could breath again. Honda naturally isn't going to type in a service manual every possible reason out there why you'd need to do a ECM reset. So they said what they did to CYA. lol I have never had to do a ECM reset in all the bikes I found with a nasty looking Air Filter in them. They ran smooth after the filter was changed. In the end-it's your bike and you need to do what makes you feel better about when you work on your own bike. You're the only one that counts!
                                  Yep, whatever blows your dress up!

Nice shirt. I am sure a number of people feel that way these days. Hope all is well Rocky.

Richard
                                    Darksider #390
                                    Murgie's FAQ

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page