Is It Possible To Make A Worse GPS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is It Possible To Make A Worse GPS?

Pardon me while I vent.... 2014 Wing, Level 3 paid 25000 for it and The GPS is a P.O.S, second weekend we wound up in the woods...... ( my fault for listening to it) We have visited the White Mountains of New Hampshire last 2 weekends, set the address of my destination, follow the route puts me on a small road, looks quite scenic, then turns to part asphalt part dirt, holes the size of a Volkswagen Bug, about 2 miles in there is a big sign "Road not Maintained," of course we turned around, I got my Iphone and used that GPS. (Problem is I lose service in Mountains) This weekend it takes me down a long road that turns out to end in the Woods, but on GPS map it keeps going. Again Iphone bailed me out...... Tried putting address of the Motel we were going to, GPS says it does not exist, tried co ordinates, would not let me enter them, 25000, and the dam GPS is a P.O.S. No way (that I have found without having an IT degree to update the maps....Purchased an Old Bran New Garmin, used that a bit, not happy with it so that is in The wife's SUV now, just purchased a Garmin 665LM Motorcycle GPS ( Big Bucks purchase through Amazon so I can return if its junk also) anyone have a Garmin 665LM they are using and can comment on?

Should I mention what a POS the XM is and my Black Paint Job.........where do I start? Where do I stop.......Honestly feeling abused for paying so much. This is my first Wing, I do love The Motor, speed handling etc, but each trip the short comings are getting much more noticeable......
    Tony C.
    2014 GL1800 Level 3 Black
    Why Black?
    Cause Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster!

I'm glad I didn't get that GPS package on my 06. My Garmin works just fine for me.
    T.A. Jens
    The Pizza Man
    1800 06 White Champion Trike
    2005 Bunkhouse Camper
    2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
    GWRRA Life Member

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Pizza Man View Post
      I'm glad I didn't get that GPS package on my 06. My Garmin works just fine for me.

Its the worst GPS Ive ever used, your better off navigating with the stars......
      Tony C.
      Why Black?

There is a thread on the "old" passé forum on how to update your GPS. Some hacking is involved, however, if you don't have an issue with that feel free to read all about it.

I have the most up to date Garmin maps on the stock GPS which I find really helps, however, there is a bug in the firmware this screws up the search feature, so I use my Zumo for searching.

If you have the time to learn and play with the Open Source Maps, you might find them very helpful as well. I have the street and tapo maps for Mexico loaded next to the Garmin maps on my Zumo 660. I use both as the Garmin can have better POI, but the OSM can have better street details for the smaller villages. These maps are all free and you can load as much detail as you need.

Rick

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...armin/Download
        2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
        DS 1126
        95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

The one on my 2007 was worse.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by RaConnol View Post
            There is a thread on the "old" passé forum on how to update your GPS. Some hacking is involved, however, if you don't have an issue with that feel free to read all about it.

I have the most up to date Garmin maps on the stock GPS which I find really helps, however, there is a bug in the firmware this screws up the search feature, so I use my Zumo for searching.

If you have the time to learn and play with the Open Source Maps, you might find them very helpful as well. I have the street and tapo maps for Mexico loaded next to the Garmin maps on my Zumo 660. I use both as the Garmin can have better POI, but the OSM can have better street details for the smaller villages. These maps are all free and you can load as much detail as you need.

Rick

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...armin/Download
            ****es me off that after spending 25000 I have to hack the Los GpS to get it current, that should be all set when I purchase the bike, especially for the kind of money I spent. HD ( which I will never throw my leg over again) is kicking Hondas ass when it comes to the latest technology, Bluetooth etc. Honda is stuck in the 90s with that stuff.
            Tony C.
            Why Black?

My 2007 was great .. It took me all over the American West from here in Connecticut. My newly acquired 2008 has also been reliable .. sorry you had such a problem.
              I don't like a few of the features .. like not being able to use it while moving .. a ridiculously slow programming system .. but, it is what it is and I do have a alternate GPS mounted for easy access.
              Watertown, CT .. Hiddenite, NC

Originally posted by LoneriderSr View Post

****es me off that after spending 25000 I have to hack the Los GpS to get it current, that should be all set when I purchase the bike, especially for the kind of money I spent. HD ( which I will never throw my leg over again) is kicking Hondas ass when it comes to the latest technology, Bluetooth etc. Honda is stuck in the 90s with that stuff.
                I did spend a day on a new 2014 Ultra Limited, and rather liked the GPS, touch screen, and two little thumb driven joy sticks. I agree that HD system would be a great little addition to the GW. But then it was years HD had a GPS display that was right out of the seventies, so I am sure Honda was well aware how far they need to step up.

Now, now, how about now?!?

Rick
                2010 GL1800ADA (CDN eh!)
                DS 1126
                95 FLSTC Sold to a nice family.

GPS is absolutely last on my list of needed items. I like maps but more importantly I have my "smart phone" when all else fails. And to those who claim no cell coverage...well fortunately I have good directional sense and my maps.

Originally posted by m45mcdan View Post
                    GPS is absolutely last on my list of needed items. I like maps but more importantly I have my "smart phone" when all else fails. And to those who claim no cell coverage...well fortunately I have good directional sense and my maps.
                    Thumbs up!
                    Tony C.
                    Why Black?

I love the OEM system on my 2010!
                      I think it's really a matter of your expectations. For me, all I want is to put in a single destination and have it plot a coarse. If I decide to wander off of that path, I turn of the NAV sound and go explore. When I'm sufficiently lost, sound goes back on and she gets me back on coarse.
                      I don't care about route planning. To me that is not what the Goldwing is about. There is enough planned paths in the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if "Here Maps" are available on Android or Apple but if so, get it. They have great navigation (including speed limits) and are off line. Your chosen maps are constantly updated via wifi and are always available. Traffic will not work if you have no cellular coverage, everything else still functions.
                        Rob

Originally posted by LoneriderSr View Post
                          Pardon me while I vent.... 2014 Wing, Level 3 paid 25000 for it and The GPS is a P.O.S, second weekend we wound up in the woods...... ( my fault for listening to it) We have visited the White Mountains of New Hampshire last 2 weekends, set the address of my destination, follow the route puts me on a small road, looks quite scenic, then turns to part asphalt part dirt, holes the size of a Volkswagen Bug, about 2 miles in there is a big sign "Road not Maintained," of course we turned around, I got my Iphone and used that GPS. (Problem is I lose service in Mountains) This weekend it takes me down a long road that turns out to end in the Woods, but on GPS map it keeps going. Again Iphone bailed me out...... Tried putting address of the Motel we were going to, GPS says it does not exist, tried co ordinates, would not let me enter them, 25000, and the dam GPS is a P.O.S. No way (that I have found without having an IT degree to update the maps....Purchased an Old Bran New Garmin, used that a bit, not happy with it so that is in The wife's SUV now, just purchased a Garmin 665LM Motorcycle GPS ( Big Bucks purchase through Amazon so I can return if its junk also) anyone have a Garmin 665LM they are using and can comment on?

Should I mention what a POS the XM is and my Black Paint Job.........where do I start? Where do I stop.......Honestly feeling abused for paying so much. This is my first Wing, I do love The Motor, speed handling etc, but each trip the short comings are getting much more noticeable......
                          It's that mischievous, evil b**ch that resides in the GPS. I wonder if switching to a male voice would be better.

• dkebrd
                            dkebrd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            "It's that mischievous, evil b**ch that resides in the GPS. I wonder if switching to a male voice would be better."
                            Well, we all know that real men do not ask for directions!!!

The OEM system has worked "ok" for me, till today. I set the GPS to simply take me 'home' from about 45 miles out. I had not used the GPS much this year. Well, I detoured & stopped some place. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to STOP the dang route home so the 'recalculating' would stop.
                          2013 Red Airbag 1800

Originally posted by Tony in AZ View Post
                            The OEM system has worked "ok" for me, till today. I set the GPS to simply take me 'home' from about 45 miles out. I had not used the GPS much this year. Well, I detoured & stopped some place. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to STOP the dang route home so the 'recalculating' would stop.
                            I just turn the sound off and let it recalculate to its hearts content. When I am ready to resume, I just turn GPS sound back on.

Hey you only paid 25 grand for your bike! What do you expect??

I first used my 2014 Level 3 GPS last week navigating northern Arkansas roads. I created a new route each day I was there using Gamin Mapsource (I hate Basecamp). Not one hiccup on any of the 4 routes I created. Heading home through southern Missouri I did have one weird mishap.

Northbound on MO 21 approaching US 60 the GPS wanted to turn onto a strange short curvy road about 1/4 mile south of US 60 that I could see with my own eyes did not exist. Upon arriving at the intersection with US 60 the GPS wanted me to go west to MO 19, south to US 160 and then north again on MO 21, about 100 miles over half of the roads I had already ridden. This occurred because of the recalculating feature that you can turn off on a Zumo, but cannot on the Honda (Garmin) GPS. Knowing that that was the problem I simply kept driving north on my intended routing along MO 21 and within 4 - 5 miles the GPS returned to its original routing. Hopefully, in any future software updates we will be given a choice whether to recalculate a route or not. Probably not going to happen.

My advise is to stop when you see that the GPS is recalculating and consult a paper map before proceeding. I did enjoy the Garmin Zumo 665 that I still have, but I no longer have worry about leaving my Zumo mounted on the bike for short get offs.
                                2014 Black Goldwing Level 3

• Denver
                                  Denver commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I usually just pop the Garmin out of its holster and put it in my pocket. Since its portable I can check my route or make changes while taking a break.
                                  Updates are easy with Garmin and the laptop. I'm entitled to 4 updates per year for life of the unit. I make it a point to update both Garmin at the beginning of each quarter.
                                  I plan my trips on Google maps, print them out, and update the route on the GPS each evening for the next days ride. Both of my Garmins are 4 years old and I use ram mounts for mounting.
                                  I have traveled in 36 states since 2010 with some trips taking 6 weeks. No doubt in my mind that I happy with my choices.

Originally posted by gray red rider View Post
                                I first used my 2014 Level 3 GPS last week navigating northern Arkansas roads. I created a new route each day I was there using Gamin Mapsource (I hate Basecamp). Not one hiccup on any of the 4 routes I created. Heading home through southern Missouri I did have one weird mishap.

Northbound on MO 21 approaching US 60 the GPS wanted to turn onto a strange short curvy road about 1/4 mile south of US 60 that I could see with my own eyes did not exist. Upon arriving at the intersection with US 60 the GPS wanted me to go west to MO 19, south to US 160 and then north again on MO 21, about 100 miles over half of the roads I had already ridden. This occurred because of the recalculating feature that you can turn off on a Zumo, but cannot on the Honda (Garmin) GPS. Knowing that that was the problem I simply kept driving north on my intended routing along MO 21 and within 4 - 5 miles the GPS returned to its original routing. Hopefully, in any future software updates we will be given a choice whether to recalculate a route or not. Probably not going to happen.

My advise is to stop when you see that the GPS is recalculating and consult a paper map before proceeding. I did enjoy the Garmin Zumo 665 that I still have, but I no longer have worry about leaving my Zumo mounted on the bike for short get offs.
                                The biggest problem with all GPS's is that even the most recent updated maps are often obsolete by the time we get them.

I have said for along time that when somebody gets it right and produces a GPS that uses live online maps streamed to an internal buffer, rather than out of date maps in the GPS's memory, I will consider buying one.
                                The closest thing we have now are smartphones or tablets with one of the many navigation apps that use Google maps. Even those are not updated in real time, but are probably more accurate than most GPS maps.

I agree wholeheartedly and have posted on the subject myself. Mine pulled the dirt road trick on me, too. I've used Garmins in the car and on the boat for years and they've been fine. This one stinks. I, too, resent the thousand dollar premium for this POS. Will you please post experiences with your new 665 so we'll know if it's worth the imvestment?
                                  Thanks

Originally posted by gray red rider View Post

Be nice if Honda would update it.......How is your Black paint holding up? Are you getting fine scratches and expeiriencing the real soft paint affect?
                                    Tony C.
                                    Why Black?

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page