Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated Gear

Has anyone tried heated jacket liners or inner shirts? What brand is recommended?

Yes - jacket liner from the original incarnation of Gerbings.

Zero issues in a decade of....mostly storage. I did check them out before my trip to make sure that controllers, cables and jackets were operational.

No problems.

Most of the items available today seem to be satisfactory; just make certain you're buying the 12V versions, as there are some that use an auxiliary battery pack for power, and are lower voltage.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I bought a gerbing jacket “liner” in 2003, and it’s still going strong... the newer ones are better as mine has a few “hot spots”

mattbcnv
      "2018 Turd Brown Metallic sissy shifter"

I was looking at First Gear with the built in controller, but they are already being discontinued. Some online sellers have the liner for $125 to $150. Do you know of any problems with First Gears built in controller or do you think going with Gerbing at a higher price would be best.

So, if the controller takes a crap, is the jacket still able to be used with a different controller?

I suspect this is why they're being discontinued - either they have reliability problems, or people aren't buying them because of that very reason.
          Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

I agree; not going to be tempted by the close out prices. Would rather have something I know will last for years.

I use Tourmaster. Never had any issue.
              Even heat throughout the sleeves and chest in the Jacket liner.

Micro wire is the latest technology.
              **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
              I whispered back "Bring Beer"

First Gear is made by Warm & Safe. Same products, just rebranded name. You can use any coax cable heat troller to run the gear-- Warm & Safe, First Gear, Gerbing etc

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                So, if the controller takes a crap, is the jacket still able to be used with a different controll

I suspect this is why they're being discontinued - either they have reliability problems, or people aren't buying them because of that very reason.

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The OP questioned the model with a built-in controller.

• roundabout
                  roundabout commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My bad, I'm not sure about the built in controller.

I have had the Gerbing Jacket Liner with Thermostat since 2000, works extremely well, never an issue.. one of the best and most functional motorcycle accessories I ever bought.....

I started with Gerbing back in the 90's, but switched to Warm&Safe liners since then. I just recently bought a pair of Gerbing heated gloves and I'm happy with them.
                  2018 White Gold Wing Tour DCT

We have " California Heat " Works very well and has a Lifetime warranty. Jacket liner and gloves. Very happy!!

I made my own heated jacket which as been a game changer. Bought a light weight fleece jacket from WalMart, Taped in a long strand of 30 awg wire and then ironed on some backing material to sandwich the wire in the jacket. Soldered the two ends of the wire to a coax connector which extends from the pocket. I had made my own variable controller but recently bought a used Gerbings controller off of Ebay for better weather protection capabilities. Wired to the battery. It's held up for at least three years and keeps me nice and toasty.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page