Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Rider is Born

I was very surprised to see my 22 year old son standing in my kitchen this morning with a look in his eye that said, "I'm ready". I haven't seen his eyeballs open before noon for some time.

You see, my son just obtained his first motorcycle after being endorsed just a few weeks ago. He's dreamed and talked about this for years, only to hear, "your not ready son, give it another year".

With some careful planning and guidance, he landed himself in a 2018 Honda CB500F, a perfect bike for a beginner just like himself. Fast and nimble enough to keep him interested, yet not fast and nimble enough to get him into trouble.

His attire this morning consisted of a pair of jeans, hiking boots, sweatshirt, pair of work gloves, and a helmet. Took me back to how I was dressed on my maiden voyage 40 years ago. At a balmy 34 degrees and windy, I stated, "your going to freeze your a$$ off son", only to hear back the already anticipated answer of "I really don't care".

It occurred to me, there was nothing that was going to get in the way of my son going on his first solo ride. Not cold, not the hours of rain and high winds we had the previous night, not even that he needed to be at work in 2 hours.

After I relayed some verbal routing which would get him out for the next hour, he was off while I sat and waited in anticipation for his return. About an hour later, I could hear that little Honda putting down the street. A sense of relief ensued in that "he made it".

He dismounted his bike like a pro and came waddling in. Face and neck beat red, shivering. "How was it son". And with a big sh$t eating grin on his face, he answered, "I love it".

After warming up a bit, I watched him out in the driveway wiping down his bike meticulously reaching every spot possible. Hmmm, is my boy actually taking pride in something?

Already late for work, he jumped in his car and with the parting words, "I love you Dad, next Tuesday the weather is going to be nice", he was off.

A new rider is born.

Sweet! Congratulations on the birth of another rider!
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Congrats to you and your son. I ride with my son as often as I can. Nothing better than that.

Great to hear read about your sons first ride alone keep it up your a very lucky man, Congrats to you both Ride Safe Ride a lot.
        2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Congrats to the new rider! Here is to many miles and years of fun riding!

I have between now and June to get the boy ready for a 4 day jaunt from the Philly area to the Shenandoah Valley VA. I’m leaning heavily that his youth will prevail. I couldn’t ride that 500 for the amount of riding we will be doing. No way!

Originally posted by RPinkit View Post
              I have between now and June to get the boy ready for a 4 day jaunt from the Philly area to the Shenandoah Valley VA. I’m leaning heavily that his youth will prevail. I couldn’t ride that 500 for the amount of riding we will be doing. No way!
              The trick is don't tell him how uncomfortable it is. Most all of us rode bikes like that in our youth and we didn't realize how uncomfortable we were until we got older. He won't either. Make no point about it and he won't think about it.
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• RPinkit
                RPinkit commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m going to do just that. Let him figure it out. I think the trip itself will overshadow the fact that he is numb.

I’m really enjoying seeing his excitement in regards to his new found passion. Kinda has me reflecting back on those days where a bike = freedom and not much more than that.

Kool story ... reminds me of my first street bike experience, a 1971 SL-350 Honda bought new. Rode it to high school in all weather in 1971 & 72. And I did not care how numb I was , rain or shine.
              2013 Red Airbag 1800

RP , that boy will enjoy the trip no matter what. He's with his Dad and he's doing guy stuff. It will be a whole new experience that he will never forget. You guys will be closer for the experience.

Originally posted by RPinkit View Post
                  Think back when you bought your first bike. You didn't know from adam what you know now.

You had a great time on your new motorcycle.

Something tells me, You son is going to have as much fun now, as you did back then.

Only now the Perk for you. Is watching him ride and hearing the joy in his voice as he talks about Riding his new bike.

My middle son started out on a 650 yammy, He now rides a full dresser Harley.

They grow up fast-Don't blink.

Enjoy your trip together.

Maker of the Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers.
                  1986 GL1200 SEi (Restored)
                  2004 GL1800

I suspect your right Rocky. I didn't give a rats a$$ back then as long as I was out on my bike going nowhere. Sub freezing weather, rain, commitments, responsibilities be damned.

About 40 degrees on the thermometer this morning but the sun is shining and he isn't working. I suspect he will be over in the next hour to get out for a couple of hours. Love it.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page