What do you look for when you are buying a new motorcycle?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for when you are buying a new motorcycle?

Personally I don't settle when I buy something.

I buy what fits my needs.

I have never bought any motorcycle Just because it was new.
    I'm not a monkey see monkey do type of guy.(Sorry-don't get all upset)

I don't care if someone doesn't like my choice. Its my choice!.

I Paid for it,so its none of your business what I bought.
    I don't get mad if you don't like what I bought.

I figure when someone buys my toys. I'll except it, and say Thank you. (Then sell it for something "I Like")

Which brings me to the title of the thread.

What do you look for when you are buying a new motorcycle?
    Is it for looks?
    Is it to keep up with the Joneses?
    Is it for the gadgets?
    Is it for the Color?
    Is it for a daily commuter?
    Is it mainly for taking trips?
    Is it to park in your garage to tell your friends you have a new toy?
    Is it because owning a motorcycle is Kewl?.
    Is it for bragging rights at the local DQ?
    Is it because you might die next week, so might as well spend the grand kids inheritance?
    is it because now you can call the older version an antique?
    Is it because you can't handle a big bike anymore,so you wanted to downsize?.
    Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

"I Paid for it,so its none of your business what I bought."
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 RED GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      That wasn't the Question.

This is the question. SA.
      "What do you look for when you are buying a new motorcycle?"

Is it for looks?
    Well, I'm not going to buy a motorcycle that looks butt ugly to me so certainly the looks are part of it
    Is it to keep up with the Joneses?
    Nope
    Is it for the gadgets?
    Depends on what you mean by gadgets. I wouldnt have bought the new Wing if it wasn't for the DCT.
    Is it for the Color?
    Nope
    Is it for a daily commuter?
    Yes
    Is it mainly for taking trips?
    Not the main reason but yes I ride very weekend
    Is it to park in your garage to tell your friends you have a new toy?
    Nope
    Is it because owning a motorcycle is Kewl?.
    Nope
    Is it for bragging rights at the local DQ?
    Who the hell goes to DQ?
    Is it because you might die next week, so might as well spend the grand kids inheritance?
    Sure
    is it because now you can call the older version an antique?
    Nope. Stil have my '08.
    Is it because you can't handle a big bike anymore,so you wanted to downsize?.
    Not yet

A few other things that come into play in the decision:
    The ergonomics. I like the look of the dual sports but even at 6'1" they're too tall for me to feel comfortable on at a stop.
    Dealer support. I like the look of the Indians but the dealer network by me is virtually non-existent.
    Handling
    Performance
    Martin

I look for something that suits my specific needs. I like comfort and handling. I park it in my garage, and I tell my friends about it, but that's not why I bought it. It's not for the gadgets. It's better to be a SA than a DA!
      Costa Mesa, CA
      2012 RED GL1800

It depends on the type of motorcycle.
        For touring:
        1. Overall comfort. Includes wind protection, seat comfort, ergonomics.
        2. Economy of operation. This includes service and maintenance intervals, fuel economy and tire life.
        3. Storage capacity and ease of using it.
        4. Engine torque and smoothness.
        5. Ride quality.
        6. Most important...wife's approval!

As a non mechanic the first thing I look at is the maintenance schedule. What do I have to do to keep this thing alive?

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
            It depends on the type of motorcycle.
            For touring:
            1. Overall comfort. Includes wind protection, seat comfort, ergonomics.
            2. Economy of operation. This includes service and maintenance intervals, fuel economy and tire life.
            3. Storage capacity and ease of using it.
            4. Engine torque and smoothness.
            5. Ride quality.
            6. Most important...wife's approval!
            1 and 6 are why my wife bought our 03 and 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 were why I traded it for my 08. 3 is why I bought the trailer.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• ShooterF6B
              ShooterF6B commented
              Editing a comment
              6 is very important. 1 thru 5 is meaningless without 6.

Each motorcycle I have serves a specific purpose, so the reasoning is different for each one. Yes, it has to look good. Life's too short for fat chicks, slow cars and ugly motorcycles. and whats with that wife's approval thing? you guys are joking, right? youd buy an inferior, to you bike, because your wife liked another bike better?

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually you missed the point "If Momma isn't Happy-No one is Happy"

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              haha. i keep mama happy and content plenty of other ways, and because of that the bike is to keep me happy. good trade off for her.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
            Each motorcycle I have serves a specific purpose, so the reasoning is different for each one. Yes, it has to look good. Life's too short for fat chicks, slow cars and ugly motorcycles. and whats with that wife's approval thing? you guys are joking, right? youd buy an inferior, to you bike, because your wife liked another bike better?
            Some of us still like riding with our wives. The only bike mine ever liked more than with a passing interest was the Gold Wing. Hard to argue with good judgement.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              youre lucky she has good taste! otherwise youd own a crappy bike, lol.
              I love riding with mine as well. since i ride way more than her and im the one driving, she adjusts to my needs and desires. dont get me wrong, ill try to make the bike as comfortable as i can for her but on a bike like my custom, she gets a little 4''x 6'' pad, suction cupped to the rear fender, if she wants to ride.

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahhhh. The old creed that can bite you.
              "Hurray for me & the hell with you"

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              motorcycles are my thing, for me. shes a passenger on it a few times a year...hopefully more in the future. in the meantime i have to have a bike that makes me smile, performs to my needs and puts a smile on my face. my 4 bikes do that for me, albeit all in a different manner. im not about to buy a bike that doesnt get my juices flowing every time i get on it. would you buy a bike you dont like because your wife likes it better?

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
            As for my wife's approval, we are a team and have been for 41+ years because we respect each other including, yes, OUR choice of motorcycles. My wife is typically my copilot for 6000 miles per year and I highly value her opinion of the motorcycles WE buy. Our motorcycling adventures are among the best things in our life and I refuse to do anything to change that. By the way, we have a fast car and a sharp motorcycle and my wife is quite pretty. Are you jealous yet?

• clayusmcret
              clayusmcret commented
              Editing a comment
              We hit 40 years in Aug using the same formula. Congrats!

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              not from what you wrote but which fast car do you have and lets see a pic of your wife

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              @Rocky...but if she liked the new bike you wouldve bought it, despite all the things you dont like about it?

Engine Longevity/Overall Cycle Reliability/Longevity
            Handling/Braking/Acceleration because you wont have personal longevity without it
            Load Bearing/Storage as it now it can become transportation rather than recreation
            Style/Color, form follows function
            Electronic Wizardry, gauges, meters, monitors, GPS, cameras, radar/lidar detection, infotainment, because there are moments where your just eating up asphalt to get to the next smile

kiptap - Paul
            Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
            1979 Kawasaki Z 200
            1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
            1996 Honda GL 1500SE
            2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

man, i guess im way different. a motorcycle has to make me feel alive. it has to excite me, it has to make me look back at it after i parked it, or stare at it all the way when coming back to it. otherwise its just transportation. ive always said, id rather live in a mobile park and drive a lambo than to live in a nice house and drive an accord.

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

I think the 2018 Goldwing is a Jack of all Trades and Master of None. And I do look back at it, I just look at it differently. The bike will do a little over a ton, will do a cloverleaf at 45, will haul a tent, sleeping bag, chair, tools, extra gas, and luggage, all while listening to Apple CarPlay and take you to work the next day. It will get you there, it will get you home, (even with the chrome).

I have one motorcycle, I probably will continue to have only one motorcycle, (at a time). It fulfills just enough of each desire and/or need I expect it to do. It is both transportation and recreation. It makes transportation, recreation. I live in a nice house and have a nice motorcycle, rather balanced for one house and one bike.

kiptap - Paul
                Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page