Bad news for motorcyclists: The Bakken in ND is back!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad news for motorcyclists: The Bakken in ND is back!

Several years ago The Bakken oilfield region of western North Dakota gained a reputation as a place for motorcyclists to avoid. It was a place of dangerous roads and ripoff prices. Then a drop in crude oil prices led to a decline in traffic and most of the roads were upgraded to a higher safety standard so things improved for travelers. Lately, however, the Bakken has gotten much busier and thus, our roads have returned to their former dangerous selves. The main problem here is not the roads, it is the drivers and we have a lot of bad ones. Lord knows, it's certainly not a law enforcement issue as we have more cops than anywhere in the country. Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid. Travelers on Interstate 94 and US2 may not notice the problems but the highways in between in the western 1/3 of ND are definitely in danger. McKenzie County is especially dangerous.

I think this is a bigger part of the problem. (Choose wisely when you ride anywhere!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	North DaKota.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	119666

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I don't doubt for a minute there will be problems - especially if the population of that area doubles in less than a decade!

On our trip last year, staying overnight in the capital city of Wyoming. Population 63,000 in a state that has ~570,000. I know we added at least 50% to that city figure on the day Big Boy rolled out of town back in May.

I would thing you've seen just the overall increase of population...not just in your county, but in the state overall. 760,000 state-wide 2019 estimate for ND is about 250,000 less than we have here in my county.

Though, it's pretty easy for me to travel about 40 miles west and have 900,000 of those people behind your back.
      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

The majority of the people involved in accidents on our roads are not ND residents. The motorcyclist killed yesterday in our area was from Canada. Those drivers are simply not prepared for our type of driving. If you take your eyes off the road here somebody is going to die. Our traffic is not the bumper to bumper mess they have in the urban areas, it is much worse because our traffic is high speed and it involves big vehicles meaning most accidents result in fatalities. There is no room for error. Fender benders are almost unheard of here.

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
          The majority of the people involved in accidents on our roads are not ND residents. The motorcyclist killed yesterday in our area was from Canada. Those drivers are simply not prepared for our type of driving. If you take your eyes off the road here somebody is going to die. Our traffic is not the bumper to bumper mess they have in the urban areas, it is much worse because our traffic is high speed and it involves big vehicles meaning most accidents result in fatalities. There is no room for error. Fender benders are almost unheard of here.
          That has been my contention with the crap hanging off the bars or the new bikes mini displays.(highlighted)

You take your eyes of the road to search the display you could be on your Back if not worse PDQ.

BTW: I appreciate your message.
          Buy in all honesty. You haven't driven in bad traffic until you have driven/ridden through this mess on daily basis.
          Nothing but Lost Angry Tourist, and locals trying to teach them a lesson about cutting people off!!.

Name:	Caltrans-crowd-freeway.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	119724Click image for larger version

Name:	yy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	119725Click image for larger version

Name:	southbound-rush-hour-traffic-on-the-san-diego-freeway-california-AAM7AY.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	119726

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
          "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
          Current bikes.
          1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
          1986 GL1200 SEi
          2004 GL1800

• Clamper
            Clamper commented
            Editing a comment
            The top left looks like the 405

Lol! Everybody (insert your city's name here) thinks they have the worst traffic in the country. I realize that most of you will never ride within hundreds of miles of western ND (too bad...your loss) but if you happen to take a wrong turn and end up here it is best to be on top of your game.

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad you qualified that 'almost' comment... ...since I *did* stay in beautiful Bowman, ND, as you know.

Like everywhere that's not 'home' you have to be on top of your game - absolute truth.

• Clamper
            Clamper commented
            Editing a comment
            I drove through Western ND twice. Back in 1977 and the truck I drove was geared max 63 mph.. Yeah, I was moving fast back then. They got me a new truck in '81 and I was back up to 77 mph. With a great A/C unit. I was a happy driver.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

That has been my contention with the crap hanging off the bars or the new bikes mini displays.(highlighted)

You take your eyes of the road to search the display you could be on your Back if not worse PDQ.

BTW: I appreciate your message.
          Buy in all honesty. You haven't driven in bad traffic until you have driven/ridden through this mess on daily basis.
          Nothing but Lost Angry Tourist, and locals trying to teach them a lesson about cutting people off!!.

Name:	Caltrans-crowd-freeway.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	119724Click image for larger version

Name:	yy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	119725Click image for larger version

Name:	southbound-rush-hour-traffic-on-the-san-diego-freeway-california-AAM7AY.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	119726

lane splitting paradise!!! Modulator optional!

Costa Mesa, CA
          2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
            lane splitting paradise!!! Modulator optional!
            having to deal with shades of traffic like that these past ~40 years is why I moved to a town with a population of 1700. We could have gotten into several much larger areas near where we needed to settle, but I'm done with daily traffic.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page