Book of Face Lied again to its Sheep.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-security.html

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    Ha! It's been fun, though.

• biglefti
    replied
    I feel sorry for any poor bastiches that are tracking me. They'll being going in circles just like I am.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    "Nothing emanates from your dedicated GPS device."

A bit of clarity there.

You can turn all the radios off, and a rogue app can't (or won't) track you, but...

iOS / Android? Even if you specifically say 'no', there is still *some* tracking that's captured for 'internal' use only.

It doesn't matter - eventually, for whatever reason, you *will* turn on that wi-fi connection, or that cell data connection.

Zap!

All that captured data has now been sent.

• jettawreck
    replied
    Limited FB use, mostly because of the free marketplace use.

Leave a comment:

• tamathumper
    replied
    If your phone turns off cellular, wi-fi, and bluetooth radios in airplane mode, then yes it is less trackable. Bear in mind wi-fi or bluetooth can still be turned back on, even while the phone remains in airplane mode.

Also bear in mind that GPS is not a technology that can track an object remotely, despite some confused websites' claims to the contrary. GPS signals originate from satellites and are only picked up by your GPS device. Nothing emanates from your GPS device. Much the same way that listening to a radio station doesn't make you trackable in your car.

Leave a comment:

• Gold-Winger
    commented on 's reply
    If you put your phone in airplane mode, will this turn off the location feature????

• tamathumper
    replied
    If you carry a cellular phone of any kind, regardless of whether it's a smart phone or not, your location is tracked continuously by civic and commercial organizations. Hitachi has an advanced system they sell to law enforcement that knits together a community's cameras, license plate scanners (now on garbage trucks and municipal vehicles, not just on police cars), and logs your cellular phone's location to the meter.

Inside a store, the company knows what aisle you're in, what merchandise is in front of you, what merchandise is within your sight lines, and where you linger longest. If they don't already, they'll be targeting advertisements to you either on your device or in your newspaper through "mass customization" to push those products that were in your sight lines at the point you lingered in the store.

A friend of mine installed Cisco's Meraki system at Price Chopper / Market32 stores in Upstate NY when he was the CIO there. Scary stuff.

It ain't your grand-pappy's phone system any more.

Leave a comment:

• Drgsin
    commented on 's reply
    i specifically target liberal forums there. most of my interests, cars, motorcycles, etc...are occupied by more conservatives than liberals so its hard to rip on them. maybe i need to look for a hug your tree today or open borders for all forum

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    "It doesn’t matter whether you have a Facebook account. Through those tools, Facebook is able to collect information from all of us.”

True - yet they have no way of corroborating that data on 'shadow me'. It might be true, it might be total bull-s#!+.

The same 'sharing' applies to Apple, Microsoft, Google, and a whole host of other on-line agencies. I've never owned Apple products...but you can be sure they're using all data they have on people who own their products as well.

FB seems to be the WORST when it comes to protection of the data they have and collect on ~2.5 billion people.

• Rocky
    replied
    Book of Face is way faster than handing out fliers at the market.

To get your personal info out on the world wide web for others to enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• tamathumper
    replied
    Every single one of you uses Facebook, and every single one of you has a "shadow profile" on it. No matter how proud you are that you "avoid" it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/11/1...s-data-privacy

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    Every forum has *that* opportunity - in some cases - readily available.

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    I have the same problem. An aunt of mine is the purveyor of all things FB when it comes to family stuff. My parents still ask *me* if I have any information. I continue to say "Asking the wrong person...check with my wife", as she's the one with the FB account.

So, what happens over time is that people get stone-dead lazy and no longer do anything *except* FB for these types of images and updates.

Look, I've made mention down in post #12 below, on why FB is 'the debil' when it comes to security...not repeating it.

• Drgsin
    replied
    i use FB everyday. its my go to when it comes to liberal plinking.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    I reactivated it yesterday - if it still shows closed, then I goofed.

• 2003Cobra
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
    Not only NO but Hell No.
    I agree, I don't have anything to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• biglefti
    commented on 's reply
    Hey Ken, the poll is closed so I don't think I voted or at least don't remember voting. I would have narrowed it by 1 vote.

• kwthom
    replied
    Heh...this is interesting...

Jesse Eisenberg - actor and the star of ‘The Social Network’ and why he shuns social media even though he headlined the definitive movie about it.

"I don’t use social media, but during rehearsals for “The Social Network” I signed up for Facebook under an alias for, like, 10 minutes. I figured it’d be irresponsible not to know about the thing my character built. But I quickly got an email saying, “We think you’d be friends with this person.” It was my sister’s best friend from high school. It confirmed that I don’t want them having more information than I’m aware I’m giving."

The Social Network is a 2010 American biographical drama film directed by David Fincher and written by Aaron Sorkin. Adapted from Ben Mezrich's 2009 book The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal, the film portrays the founding of social networking website Facebook and the resulting lawsuits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Network

If Eisenberg did this by way of a cell phone or a computer he is log onto with his real name, FB managed to snag enough data crumbs to put that 'network' to gather in those ten minutes.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page