Facebook User - Yes or No

Yes
    42.86%
    No
    57.14%

The poll is expired.

Simple question, gents...

Are you an active* user of Facebook?

* For definition purposes, active means you have logged into the system (Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus) once in the last 30 days.

• Tony in AZ
    replied
    A co-worker would tell me how they did not allow their son to use the internet at home to protect him from the evil on the internet.. Only at school where it was controlled.... this was 12 yrs ago , maybe more. After I stopped laughing. I told him that if he thought his son was not on the internet at friends houses or by passing the school safety guards he was a fool. It was not long after that conversation my co-worker learned I was correct. the kid had accounts on My Space and others that were popular at the time

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    replied
    It's continuing...but was readily identified several years ago by this author:

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...e-boards-past/

Leave a comment:

• Rocky
    replied
    Someone sent this to me. And people wonder why they get jacked!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...regulator.html

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    replied
    So, there's this concern I have with that organization...in fact, an article from TODAY on this very topic:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/facebo...or-floodgates/

...and that is, they don't seem to give a sh!# about security because it's inconvenient for them and those entities they share that information with.

Now, don't get me wrong, Apple, Google - hell, a whole lot of other companies have a similar cache of data - but do you ever hear as much about leaks from them as you do with FB? Seriously.

Look, I give my data to Google; I had no choice (and neither do you!) as an Android user for the last decade. It's Google that seems (to me) to be pushing better, beefier security from all sides, and it's making me take a good hard look at my own security. It's decent, but it can always be better.

I just have never seen that from FB - and the scandals they have been in over the years just proves my point. They really don't have anything I can't find else where...even if it's by contacting my aunt (who is the avid family user of FB...) personally in order to share it with my parents who are also not FB users.

I do use social media - forums are another variant, but a small, manageable entity. I tell Chris (or any other forum owner...) as little information as needed to get an account. As long as I follow the rules, I'm good.

Finally, why the poll topic? Easy - I've not seen one here before, and I was curious to know by a percentage of active users how many are FB members as well. Since only about 10% to 20% of registered members of a forum are active users, it may or may not be an accurate interpolation to see the quantity of FB members on the forum. Additionally, there is some cross-pollination between this forum and FB (it's Chris' forum, and his rules...I respect that) as opposed to some other forums - I may have thought the ratio would be different.

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    commented on 's reply
    My profile is almost empty and the name is, let's just say not entirely correct. They can have my three contacts to get to the grandkid's pictures. Can't get'em otherwise. Annoying story.

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    I'm gonna let this comment simmer for a bit before a reply.

• trewm
    replied
    Originally posted by kwthom View Post
    After a bit over 24 hours, the split is interesting...

Honestly, I would have expected it to maybe be a bit closer here.
    I cant say I'm surprised. I know a lot of people who actively use forums but wont go near Facebook. As long as you're careful and limit the personal information you list in your profile, there really is no reason to stay away from it. You personal info can be hacked in many ways. I can find pretty much anyone's address and phone in less than 5 minutes if I know their name and town they live in. Don't need to search FB for that.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    Some FB pages might allow a minimal amount of reading, but others won't unless you're logged in.

• dirtwinger
    replied
    I will visit FB sites for information, but I refuse to participate in them.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    replied
    After a bit over 24 hours, the split is interesting...

Honestly, I would have expected it to maybe be a bit closer here.

Leave a comment:

• txwingman
    replied
    Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
    Not only NO but Hell No.

Me too!

Leave a comment:

• Denman46
    commented on 's reply
    I second that emotion.

• clayusmcret
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, but Grandma wants her pictures.

• Clamper
    commented on 's reply
    Three friends and you can't email? Do they know you can send pictures by email? I see my cousins once a year and me and my brothers refused to join their private Fakebook page or group so my brothers and I don't get the updates of our extended family, and we didn't get the message of who was holding Christmas dinner this past Christmas.
    Oh well.

• meshego1
    replied
    No. Your data profile, posts, searches n conracts n friends are manipulated and sold..welcome to the digital meatloaf

Leave a comment:

• T-Cat
    replied
    Not only NO but Hell No.
    Ditto

Leave a comment:

• clayusmcret
    replied
    Yes, but only have three friends; son, son, DIL. And only for pictures of the grandkids.

Leave a comment:

• Offcenter
    replied
    Not only NO but Hell No.
    LOL!!!
    Same here. Hell no!!

Leave a comment:

• Rocky
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7c56ac4ae590dd56095077e8c6de0642.gif Views:	2 Size:	178.6 KB ID:	113406

Never had any use for FB.

Skype lets me see my family instantly to know what is going on in there lives.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page