Help .... Need help on how to fasten the owner's manual in the left trunk on my new 2018 tour with the strap supplied

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help .... Need help on how to fasten the owner's manual in the left trunk on my new 2018 tour with the strap supplied

I consider myself a fairly technical guy and I enjoy troubleshooting everything but my wife. She thinks that "I'm beyond help" and she may be right because for the life of me, I cannot see how the owner's manual can be attached to the bottom of the left trunk using the wide strap supplied with the bike. This is my 4th Goldwing and I had no trouble in the past attaching the owner's manual. Please be gentle on me as I embarrassed even asking this question ..... and please, don't let Cruseman know that I did. LOL

Good question , Just set my strap aside, did not need the aggravation trying to figure it out

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I've had good luck with this stuff. At least the manual won't be rattling around loose in the compartment.

Originally posted by Rodney Payette View Post
        This is my 4th Goldwing and I had no trouble in the past attaching the owner's manual. Please be gentle on me
        Rod. Measure your manual, and look for a Zippered pouch like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	113135

Honda for whatever reason isn't making this GL1800 Owners manual Folio available anymore. (What I keep my manual in)

I'd search Walmart or a likewise store for something similar to keep your manual clean ans undamaged while in a saddlebag or trunk.

Then I'd use regular velcro to attach it to where you feel like. (this will keep the pouch from sliding around)
        Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
        Current bikes.
        1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
        1986 GL1200 SEi
        2004 GL1800

I dunno...wasn't that strap intended to hold down the OEM tool kit?

My owner's manual -and- my navigation manual are on the office bookshelf here at home. Nice, clean, pristine. My 2006 had the same luxury of being right here where it's handy.

Why?

If I have internet, I may be able to find out darn near anything I need to about what's in the contents of the manual.

Now, the 2006 service manual - the one that came out on CD as PDF files?

Those live on my network server. There's also a copy on my laptop in a dedicated folder.

I think I'm covered.
          Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
            I dunno...wasn't that strap intended to hold down the OEM tool kit?

My owner's manual -and- my navigation manual are on the office bookshelf here at home. Nice, clean, pristine. My 2006 had the same luxury of being right here where it's handy.

Why?

If I have internet, I may be able to find out darn near anything I need to about what's in the contents of the manual.

Now, the 2006 service manual - the one that came out on CD as PDF files?

Those live on my network server. There's also a copy on my laptop in a dedicated folder.

I think I'm covered.
            I still think you need the owner's manual on the bike. Too much valuable info to leave it at home.

I don't think I have ever kept an owner's manual on my bike. It never occurred to me.
              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                I don't think I have ever kept an owner's manual on my bike. It never occurred to me.
                I agree.

I've owned this bike for 12 years. I have never needed my manual to look through,or to help others while on the road at any gathering.

I keep it in a Folio so it stays undamaged near my other shop manuals.

I guess I'm not all that worried that I couldn't resolve what ever pops up??

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                Current bikes.
                1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

I had replaced my rain gators and had the bag left over form the old ones. My F6B owners manual slid into it nicely with ample length left over to double fold the end. Bag floor carpet over the top. It’s only in parallel if for some reason the bag fills with water. If I didn’t leave it in the bag I’m sure it’d end up in the same place as the missing socks.

I think a lot of my attitude about the owner's manual stems from the fact I mostly work on autos and trucks. Ford for instance gives their fuses a number instead of a name. It won't say cooling fan , fog lamps , trailer left turn. Instead it will say 22 , 23 , 24. So your out of town on a fishing trip and blow a turn/brake fuse on the boat trailer. Let's say you have a truck that has more than one fuse box and it's a Ford. Do you know what number fuse it is? No. Do you know what box it's in? No. You get the idea. What type coolant , what type transmission fluid. It goes on and on. If you are gonna be the one responsible for any of this stuff your Owner's Manual makes the job a lot simpler. I look at the bike the same way. Not saying Rocky or anybody else is wrong. I've had this bike for six years so at this point I'm pretty familiar with it. That manual is still in the saddle bag.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ...and yet, even more comprehensive details - as those you just described with the fuses - isn't in the Owner's Manual, but in the Service Manual.

On my 2016, there's a dozen pages about what happens in the event of an issue...and the more common diagnostic steps to take.

I'm not saying everyone should know these things, but - it's a motorcycle - a bit simpler (even a bike such as the Goldwing) than most common 4-wheeled vehicles.
                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page