Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, did a dumb thing on my 2018

I won't get into why I did this dumb thing but I locked my smart key along with the two emergency keys into my trunk on the 2018 DCT and now I can't get in. I have searched the web for answers and found other Wing forums suggesting how to retrieve a locked key/fob but only on pre 2018 wings. I would hope there is a way to tap into the electrical system underneath the seat like I have read on the pre 2018's. I have tried a locksmith to pick the emergency lock on the rear of the bike with negative results and now contemplating drilling out the lock as a very last resort. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This may not have any bearing on your problem, but on the previous models of the 1800, like my 2013, you can take the seat off and apply power to trunk open circuit in the C31 connector, it will pop the trunk open to allow you to get your keys back. I have no idea if that can be done on the 2018 model, but maybe someone with access to the wiring diagram can work it out for you. I have a hidden switch on my bike to do this so I do not have to remove the seat.
    Steve K
    Edgewater, FL
    And the Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Your 5 days late for April fools jokes.

Did you lock the Key code tag you got with the bike in the trunk too??

If not go to the dealer with the code and get a spare key made!!
      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

I do have the code so I’ll go see the dealer today. Maybe they also can advise on which wire to access to power up and open the trunk. I thank you both for those suggestions.

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          This bike does not allow you to open the trunk like the previous GL1800 (2001-2017)

I strongly suggest you upload Pictures of the Key Code & Emergency start instructions to your phone.
          Also keep a spare fob battery Taped to the inside of the front phone pocket.

It would also be wise to keep a spare key in your wallet. (better to be safe than sorry)

Originally posted by GW#5 View Post
        I do have the code so I’ll go see the dealer today. Maybe they also can advise on which wire to access to power up and open the trunk. I thank you both for those suggestions.
        You cant be serious about the wires, just get the damn key made, and open the trunk.
        PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Was looking at the 18s the other day please let us know how you get in to your trunk opened was wondering how to deal with a problem like yours.
          2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Problem solved. I went to a local locksmith with the key code and $31 later walked out with a key and unlocked my saddlebags then the trunk. Expensive lesson but lesson learned. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Problem solved. I went to a local locksmith with the key code and $31 later walked out with a key and unlocked my saddlebags then the trunk. Expensive lesson but lesson learned. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
              Ahhh, don't cha just love a happy ending.

Now don't do that again!!!
              You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Might want to hide that key on the outside of the bike. The cover above the license plate that you have to pry off to get to the trunk lock is a good spot. Double sided tape, and bobs your uncle.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page