US 191 bridge north of Morenci to close for repairs Thursday (2/27/19)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US 191 bridge north of Morenci to close for repairs Thursday (2/27/19)

This sucks - badly...

https://www.eacourier.com/copper_era...d4f012ec3.html

LD Rider - Need to post the rest of your info on this topic...when you can.

Well, maybe not like. I left them a scathing rating since they didn't mention when it might re-open.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm gonna give Brian an opportunity to post his additional info...

Weather should be cleared up Thursday...time permitting, I may have to get an up-close-and-personal look at the situation from the Morenci side.

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      Pic's man-we'll need pic's!!

OTOH. I'm wondering how the northern run would be patrolled? (Meaning-will there be a need?)
      If not?
      That would be like a closed road to have at it on for a few runs!.

• biglefti
      biglefti commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll bet you're right on that one Rocky. One hard day, ride to Alpine, head to the bridge then back to Alpine and home. Hmmm

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      The only gas is at Alpine - from there south, nothing until you get to Morenci. Figure 85 miles one-way...so, you're at ~170 miles back to gas. Sadly, some of the better stretches of that road are the last 10 miles as you approach Morenci.

The Forest Service Rangers and sheriffs from the two counties would be the ones patrolling, since much of that area is USFS land.

What's hilarious? Most of that road is in Greenlee County. A small sliver on the north end is Apache County. The county seat of Greenlee County, AZ?? Clifton! Thus, unless there are forest roads that would get them around the bridge in question, there's no way the county could patrol that road.

Southbound ends at MM177 at the intersection of NF13. Alpine is where the ranger station is...so there's the chance they'll patrol at least the top half of the road.

Nothing to be worried about for the next few weeks - still winter in the high country...especially this week.

What I learned today is that southbound is closed at MM177 where it intersects with NF-13 (ADOT web page on road closures https://az511.gov/ ). This is several miles above that last, twisty section that takes you into Morenci.

The news article mentions the bridge, I'm looking at some ADOT data, and I just found it:

Santa Rosa Gulch 33.115552, -109.375550

What I've also learned...the current highway alignment has been on mine property for years, and is listed asUS-191X - but not signed that way. Look at the map in satellite view for the details you really need.

Now, there was a tunnel recently constructed to allow the haul trucks to cross the highway, rather than having flagmen stop the highway traffic to allow the mine trucks to continue. This issue is not at that location.

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      Alpine is at MM257, thus 80 miles to the turn-around point.

160 should be doable even at a fun pace.

Now far be it for me to point out the obvious here.

One of these might solve the problem of fuel!.

Click image for larger version

Name:	85023.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	111851

Although if biglefti goes along?.

Due to the crappy storage his scooter has.

He may need a zip-loc baggie so it will fit in them undersized bags, that pathetic bike came with.
      Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
      Current bikes.
      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

But, I get 52 mpg!

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
          But, I get 52 mpg!
          Coasting down hill with the engine off is a criminal offense..

You'll have to start the bike to get back up.
          Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
          "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
          Current bikes.
          1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
          1986 GL1200 SEi
          2004 GL1800

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            The only time my bike ever went 60 mph,was when the first tranny blew. (60 mph on the trailer)

• biglefti
            biglefti commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean under 60.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            No the driver kept his speed at 60 (I asked after seeing cages passing us on both sides)

You were riding bi^%#?

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
            This sucks - badly...

https://www.eacourier.com/copper_era...d4f012ec3.html

LD Rider - Need to post the rest of your info on this topic...when you can.
            The only thing I have to offer is that a friend who rides is also one of the Haul Truck drivers. He has said two things; the mine is going to expand their separate pits into one large pit, and that because of this there is no known time as to when 191 re-opens, and the second thing is that there is severe erosion at the bridge that will take time to solve. While he said erosion, this bridge does carry traffic OVER the Haul road and I don't think it's out of line to think that perhaps the bridge became damaged by a hit from one of the trucks. This obviously conflicts with what the newspapers are reporting and what AZDOT has said so far.

The mine currently has 5-6 pits (Gulches) and you can see more detail when you observe the mine in Google Maps Satellite view. Whether the intention is to make this ONE huge mine, or just combine a couple of the pits at this time remains to be seen. Whether this is going to be a several week closure, a several month closure, or something else remains to be seen.

Bottom line is that we won't know until we know. I really just wanted to get the word out there so that anyone who was planning to ride it had a heads-up before they showed up in Morenci to get the bad news.
            * Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Gold Wing
            * Founding riders of the Atomic 1000 SS1K
            * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that update. You see my info above in that this isn't the original alignment of 191 in the vicinity of the mine. The bridge repair could be long enough for the mine to consider where they could reasonably put the road.

*The original ADOT Public Service Announcement is listed below with the title underlined.

ADOT will be sending out weekly updates on this project which we will post as we receive them. ADOT update #1
            March 6, 2019

This is the first of the Arizona Department of Transportation's US 191 bridge weekly updates to keep the community informed about the status of the road closure. We intend to send out these emails each Wednesday. If you know of anyone who would like to be added to the list, please send an email to [email protected].

A bridge abutment problem was discovered in early February, and after a careful evaluation last week, engineers determined that the bridge needed to be closed at milepost 177 near the Morenci Mine.

We recognize the significant disruption the closure is causing people who live, and work and travel through the closed section of highway. We will move as quickly as possible to reopen the bridge.

Freeport-McMoRan and ADOT are working together to ensure that the proper repairs are made. This week, design proposals are being solicited for the repairs.

At this point, we cannot estimate how long the closure will be in place. However, we are anticipating it will last several weeks.

Thank you for your patience.

Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. For more information, please contact Community Relations Project Manager Jerimiah Moerke at[email protected] or 520.237.7605. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT's Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter @ArizonaDOT or call 511,except when driving.

This info was found at: https://www.graham.az.gov/365/County...ies-Conditions

Photos either later tonight or tomorrow, but NB is closed at MM175. Unable to see beyond this; turned around at the 'road closed' sign.

Now, what's interesting is possible realignment about a mile south of the mine overlook. There was some heavy earthworks going on, and it lined up with the existing road.

There's a location that has stored dump truck beds. I never noticed it, but there's an old graveyard up on the hill. I'll have to look at a sat photo to pinpoint it.

I sent a request to Jerimiah to get added to the weekly updates and he's already replied that he's put me on it, so as things progress I'll pass them on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5c87e6aa67cbd.image.jpg?resize=650%2C1021.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	111968

The road closed barricades. right near MM 175 - two miles from the bridge:

Never noticed the cemetery along this hill...

This overpass was recently constructed by the mine and ADOT. I just can't see them abandoning the road. Changing the alignment? Maybe.

Annotated satellite overview of the northbound closure in reference to the mine overlook:

US 191 Weekly Update - March 20
                      March 20, 2019

We have some great news to share this week. We anticipate bridge access could be restored on or around March 25. However, this date may be adjusted based on construction progress.

For the bridge to be reopened, a soil buttress (an embankment against the north bridge abutment to prevent further movement) must be installed. To expedite this work, Freeport-McMoRan redirected internal resources and began work on the buttress last week. The contracted engineers, ADOT and Freeport-McMoRan all must agree the soil buttress provides the necessary stabilization required to support traffic before the bridge can be opened.

We will send out a news release and alert to this message group as soon as the bridge opens.

While the stabilization of the bridge site should be complete soon, the actual repair work will still need to take place. The plan is to complete that work with the bridge open, but drivers may encounter occasional short delays until the repairs are done.

Thank you for your continued patience.
                      Schedules are subject to change based on weather and other unforeseen factors. For real-time highway conditions statewide, visit ADOT's Traveler Information Site at www.az511.gov, follow ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT) or call 511, except while driving.

US 191 bridge reopens near Morenci Mine after repairs to abutment

Brief delays are possible while mine makes long-term repairs

March 25, 2019

PHOENIX – A US 191 bridge about 7 miles north of the entrance to the Morenci Mine has reopened after work by the mine’s contractor to stabilize earth around an abutment.

In consultation with Freeport-McMoRan and its contracted engineers, the Arizona Department of Transportation determined the Coronado Bridge is safe for traffic while long-term repairs continue. Brief delays are possible.

The bridge, near milepost 177, closed Feb. 28, requiring those traveling between Morenci and Alpine to detour through western New Mexico. It was built in partnership with Freeport-McMoran, which operates the Morenci Mine.

According to Stacey Koon, General Manager-Administration Freeport-McMoRan Morenci Operations, the company was able to expedite work to reinforce the bridge abutment by redirecting internal resources.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page