Your next Honda may need an extension cord?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your next Honda may need an extension cord?

I saw this story on the news last night. I found more info on the story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...iles-hour.html

$30K and no place (yet) to recharge these scooters.
    I like how harley is finally understanding that their bikes are the #1 stolen.(hey biglefti-now you can ALMOST do 120mph)

Be sure to carry a re-charge cord--in your back pack!!

Honda may already be working on a Goldwing replacement.
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

There has to be a constant flow of Tools on a bus out there?.
    One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

Here is an informative video about it from someone who has ridden it and followed the project extensively.
    My opinion is that it is stupid.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

This fantasy endeavor is going to bankrupt many auto manufacturers, like self-driving cars, NOBODY is asking for these features. They are trying to impose THEIR environmental insanity on consumers, and consumers DON'T WANT IT. The Chevy Volt ... FAILURE.

Every time, I see a Tesla drive by, I yell "FILTHY COAL BURNER"
      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        Um...

https://database.aceee.org/state/tai...sion-standards

It seems several states are going along with California in order to increase the production of plug-in hybrid, battery electric, and fuel-cell vehicles from 2018 to 2025.

Manufacturers are voluntarily doing these things before they are required to by law - especially for four-wheeled vehicles.

• RoadRat
        RoadRat commented
        Editing a comment
        It appears that Calif will lead the country in trying to wean us off the internal combustion engine especially given the fact that the newly elected governor Gavin Newsom is very high on electric vehicles and an alternative source of energy. He indicated this on his pitch to be elected during his campaign. Gas prices could very well soar in the attempt to sway CA residents to give up their gas powered vehicles. Governor Brown started this while he was in office and I believe that Newsom will do everything in his power to ramp it up.

• Bronson
        Bronson commented
        Editing a comment
        Newsome will probably have charging stations along the US Mexico border. Give’em a boost onward North into Sanctuary, California

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      $30K and no place (yet) to recharge these scooters.
      Eh?

Charging can be completed using the on-board Level 1 charger that plugs into a standard household outlet with a power cord that stores below the motorcycle seat.
      https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ICMA-Show.html

It goes on to say that Level 2 and Level 3 (fast & faster) charge capability is possible and dealers will soon offer a public charging station.

This is NOT in our sandbox - we are NOT the demographic for this machine.

The Zero SR does all of these things for $10,000 less and had now for a couple of years.

This is a commuter bike, for futzing around close to home.

My Point was missed!!

So what it boils down to is. You damn well better know where your next outlet is, or you are SOL.

I agree this is a local use only commuter bike..

How many young people will pay that much for a commuter bike is the question harley or any other manufacture will find out?.

One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Again, this isn't a touring bike - this is a commuter bike - just like all of the other comparable electric bikes out there.

A few years ago, there was a guy that did about a two-week long cross-country journey with a plug-in bike, with an added fast-charger setup. He was able, for example, to go into a campground and plug in there for an hour and be 70% or 80% charged, then he'd ride another couple hours and repeat.

No, not my way of travel either, but just reading the story was interesting.

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          I can commend the rider for his determination on completing a task he wanted to see if it could be done?

Not exactly my way of torturing myself. But he still gets my respect for what he accomplished.

• RoadRat
          RoadRat commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess that guy would have bragging rights but to me it sounds like torture but like Rocky says.....much respect for his determination. Different strokes for different folks.

We met Ben Rich, electric biker, on the Blue Ridge a couple of years ago. Hendid long trips, but The fact remains that the above points are valid- local and commuter use is the practical use for them now.

They had An electric bike only race at the Indy MotoGP in 2013. They were required a brake like to let others know they were braking. Only noise you hear is the wind as they went by. If I recall they hit 180 MPH. Looked like a big tray of batteries between 2 wheels. These were race only bikes.

A couple of years ago Harley had a live wire at Daytona that was on a dyno and they were letting people "ride" it. It had a electric motor whine (duh) but it spun up real fast. Until electric cars and now bikes can be charged as fast as gas vehicles are refueled they will remain only commuter bikes. Heck I couldn't ride a live wire one way to my Harley dealer with out pushing it the last few miles.

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll make a prediction. They will scrap it in under 2 years. They won't sell. And, someday, people will realize they are WORSE for the environment.

Here is an interesting video that was posted 4 years ago.

Take note of how things have slowly changed since this bike was first thought of.

An overpriced coal-burner incapable of going anywhere significant. Yeah, that's a brilliant idea.

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
              An overpriced coal-burner incapable of going anywhere significant. Yeah, that's a brilliant idea.
              Come on Dude. you know that POS will beat your bike to the end of the Block!. LOL

Reminds me of a range rover owner thinking they are buying a great vehicle.

• Bronson
                Bronson commented
                Editing a comment
                Personally I’d throw the Hum-Vee in this class to.

• Rocky
                Rocky commented
                Editing a comment
                This is true. I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road or in a parking lot?

I think I read somewhere that a 4 slice toaster is optional for $1200 more. ROTFLMAO

• Rocky
                Rocky commented
                Editing a comment
                That's only available with the apple carplay option.

• clayusmcret
                clayusmcret commented
                Editing a comment
                And the toaster handle is an optional upgrade.

• Rocky
                Rocky commented
                Editing a comment
                Real men with thick skin don't need no toaster handle.

"Real men with thick skin don't need no toaster handle."

That's correct Rocky.
              I will reach in a hot toaster and use the metal in between the slice compartments as the handle if I need to pick it up!

• Rocky
                Rocky commented
                Editing a comment
                You Da Man.

Bumping just so we don't have to look at some NBA garbage at the top ofthe list.

• Rocky
                Rocky commented
                Editing a comment
            Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page