Suggestions on painting the meter panel on a 2004. Any suggestions???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Suggestions on painting the meter panel on a 2004. Any suggestions???

    I need to repaint the meter panel on my '04. It looks like the pic below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they have done or seen done to restore the looks of the panel? TIA. Also, thanks to rattlebars.com for the pic.



    Click image for larger version

Name:	2004_Meter_Panel.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	10830
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

  • #2
    No pic showing, but I can imagine what it looks like........mine. One of these days I will paint mine, cheaper option that that place that does the fancy wood grain and the like.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken
    ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Mine too. Interesting to see what you come up with.
      Life is all about decisions. I decided for Jesus Christ.
      04 All White
      Mich Alpin PA3
      Darkside #956

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Water dipping is cooooooooooooooool and one off if you help design the looks of it. Check around localy!
        """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
        I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rick Mays View Post
          Water dipping is cooooooooooooooool and one off if you help design the looks of it. Check around localy!

          Wow, that water dipping is coooool.
          https://www.youtube.com/user/mydipkit
          Richard
          Darksider #390
          Murgie's FAQ

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post
            I need to repaint the meter panel on my '04. It looks like the pic below. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they have done or seen done to restore the looks of the panel? TIA. Also, thanks to rattlebars.com for the pic.

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_747_1409959837800_189[/ATTACH]

            [ATTACH=CONFIG]n10830[/ATTACH]
            I think it looks pretty cool right now, What am I not seeing??

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rocky View Post

              I think it looks pretty cool right now, What am I not seeing??

              Some of the paint around the ignition switch (and also some paint closest to the front brake reservoir) is coming off of mine. I wish mine looked as good as the one I posted.
              Richard
              Darksider #390
              Murgie's FAQ

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                I rattle canned mine this spring.Painted it matt black with Krylon Plastic Paint.Had to scrape all the old chipped silver/gray off first.

                Not perfect,but better IMHO
                Chris
                Darkside # 1602
                If I knew it would've last this long I would've taken better care of it.

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  That looks nice too Chris. I may just do the same to mine. The price is certainly right.
                  Richard
                  Darksider #390
                  Murgie's FAQ

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #10
                    I repainted mine. I wanted the bikes color so I ordered some paint from colorrite and had at it.

                    Wet sanded off the old color down the the black ABS .primed and layed on the pearl/color/clear for depth.

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #11
                      If you have money to burn, try these guys.

                      http://www.mywingbling.com/
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Ken
                      ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

                      "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

                      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #12
                        I had mine painted black cherry to match my 06, and my Dad's, Touringon2, is painted burgundy to match his 03. I like the color matching dash..... Kurt
                        Coast to Coast non-stop-CERTIFIED IBA #57815
                        Jacksonville to San Diego
                        2367 miles..31hours 52min
                        1860 miles..24 hours
                        1025 miles..15 hours

                        Double Darksider #333 Michelin Alpin Battlax BT45

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                        • #13
                          I wonder if wrapping in vinyl would work. Lots of car wrapping places around and the colors and patterns are unlimited.
                          2012 Goldwing CSC Viper Trike
                          Retired MSF Instructor

                          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Grandpa1 View Post
                            I wonder if wrapping in vinyl would work. Lots of car wrapping places around and the colors and patterns are unlimited.
                            I doubt a wrap could get down into the holes very well without showing the cuts after the weather took it's toll.

                            The wet dip idea would be the best if one didn't want a color match.

                            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                            • #15
                              Thanks guys. I think I am going to paint it black like Chris did.
                              Richard
                              Darksider #390
                              Murgie's FAQ

                              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                              • #16
                                Richard, I painted my meter panel about three years ago with Duplicolor Flexible Bumper Coating. The color I used was Dark Charcoal (FB-109). It doesn't sound like it would be a good match to OEM color, but no one has ever noticed it was repainted. It has a slight texture to it that does not reflect in the windshield and it has held up well. Duplicolor uses good quality nozzles in their rattle cans that gives a nice even coat of paint.

                                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                • #17
                                  I sure hated to see Road Trip Essentials go out of business. They were good at color matched parts and very reasonable to boot! Some one needs to take it up, it would be a money maker for someone with the skills to do it. I do not know of a place that does what they did.
                                  """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
                                  I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

                                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post
                                    Richard, I painted my meter panel about three years ago with Duplicolor Flexible Bumper Coating. The color I used was Dark Charcoal (FB-109). It doesn't sound like it would be a good match to OEM color, but no one has ever noticed it was repainted. It has a slight texture to it that does not reflect in the windshield and it has held up well. Duplicolor uses good quality nozzles in their rattle cans that gives a nice even coat of paint.

                                    I like that and may go with that instead of the regular paint. Did you do anything in particular to prep for painting? Sanding? Chemicals?
                                    Richard
                                    Darksider #390
                                    Murgie's FAQ

                                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by TravelinLite View Post


                                      I like that and may go with that instead of the regular paint. Did you do anything in particular to prep for painting? Sanding? Chemicals?
                                      I sanded it down with 220 grit (I think) all over to give the paint something to hold on to and then cleaned it using VM&P Naphtha to make sure all the dust, oils and wax was off of it. You could use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol if that's what you have.

                                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post

                                        I sanded it down with 220 grit (I think) all over to give the paint something to hold on to and then cleaned it using VM&P Naphtha to make sure all the dust, oils and wax was off of it. You could use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol if that's what you have.

                                        Good deal. Thanks.
                                        Richard
                                        Darksider #390
                                        Murgie's FAQ

                                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                        widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                        Working...
                                        X