Do you ever Deglaze your Brake Rotors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever Deglaze your Brake Rotors?

I am hard on brakes. because of that I simplify things by having 2 front wave rotor sets, And 10 rear rotors. (Picked them up when no one wanted trike take off's for $29 a piece)

I downsized to 1 spare front wheel (with mounted rotors/ABS pulse ring.)
    2 spare rear wheels/ABS pulse ring)

I get tired of going to a buddys to use his Lathe to deglaze my rotors.

I had my CNC guy make up a Dual mount for me that I designed.
    Now I can mount both F&R rotors to it, So I can deglaze the rotors when I have free time.

This way I'll have nice clean rotors mounted on my spare wheels at all times.

I ran a machine shop,and had used a flywheel re-surfacer years ago, But I had to be csarfeul so as to not take anything but the glaze off (to stay above the min thickness stamped into each rotor)
    You can't use a lathe,or you'll remove to much stainless steel. (beside the fact that the floating rotors vibrate like hell)

A Lathe worked with a belt-sander.

But I wanted a tool to do it in house at my convenience, (not stop my buddy while he was working on a paying job)

So I came up with a simple solution.(Have a tool made)

I use a old bench grinder,and a rubber sanding block to hold the sand paper.

Here is the glaze I wanted to remove.

Before or right.
    After on left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	107428
    Tool n rotor on bench grinder.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.JPG Views:	1 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	107429

Tool on front rotor (Wheel hub side)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9765.JPG Views:	1 Size:	191.4 KB ID:	107430

Tool on front side of front rotor. (outside)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9764.JPG Views:	1 Size:	207.6 KB ID:	107431

Tool on front side of rear rotor. (wheel side)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9767.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	107436

Tool on back side of rear rotor. (drive side)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9766.JPG Views:	1 Size:	410.8 KB ID:	107433

The Kewl part is I can clean up both sides of each rotor without flipping it over it, like I had to do while using the Lathe.

The sanding block controls the bench grinder speed with simple pressure on the rotor.

The only downside is. I have to let the Bench grinder cool down after each rotor. (The nature of the AC induction motor-They don't like to be slowed down)
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

There has to be a constant flow of Tools on a bus out there?.
    One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

buy a real bench grinder and it won't slow down.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you not see "At my convenience" in other words no need to use my good grinder. Low n slo.

Rocky , not trying to be a smartazz but that shift lever in front of your left foot can save those rotors. I use Galfer wave rotors with OE Honda pads. For me that's the best combo. My rotors aren't glazed. I run in 4th or 3rd alot in the Twisties. It don't hurt for that RPM to be up around 4 or 5 and the engine braking is a big help. Not trying to tell you how to ride. Everyone's style is different. Everyone tells me I ride too fast so I probably do. My Sister in-laws don't like my Brother in-laws riding with me. I'm the black sheep of the Family.

• Rocky
      Rocky commented
      Editing a comment
      BTDT. Same issue. I wait to brake, until I can see the small print on stop signs.

I'm not complaining at all. just making life easier.

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      Late-braking, son-of-a-gun...

So you ride like my wife drives. I'm usually reaching for the dash before she hits the brakes . I usually put new rotors on her vehicle every year. She's my best riding buddy. She never complains. Therefore I keep my mouth shut.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
      So you ride like my wife drives. I'm usually reaching for the dash before she hits the brakes . I usually put new rotors on her vehicle every year. She's my best riding buddy. She never complains. Therefore I keep my mouth shut.
      That right there is funny.

The Wife is harder on brakes than the Rock.

I don't waste my time or $$ of resurfacing her rotors. resurfacing are 1/2 the cost of new..

Just put these on all 4 corners to hopefully last longer??.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8960.JPG Views:	2 Size:	216.3 KB ID:	107445

BTW- My buddies don't give me any riding skill credit-The Boss gets it for not complaining on the back seat.(Their wives would beat their helmets)

We are very lucky to have wives that allow us to "get to it!!"

One gets tired and gets off, another two jump on the band wagon.(Fine entertainment at its best)

Very cool. Never seen it done that way.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
          Very cool. Never seen it done that way.
          Cruisman's Garage next video?

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            I doubt that!

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
          buy a real bench grinder and it won't slow down.
          Actually. I solved that low n slo method today.

Two different sanding pads for the Makita grinder made the job less than 5 minutes each side.

We be Jammin' now Daddy!

Name:	IMG_9783.JPG
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	107473

My Dad was a machinist/mechanical engineer. If he were around to see your post he’d nod in approval. Nicely done, Rocky

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Sir.

Rock the only problem I see with that is that the technology for today's pads involves imparting pad material onto the rotor thus increasing stopping ability. But you are undoing that technology.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
              Rock the only problem I see with that is that the technology for today's pads involves imparting pad material onto the rotor thus increasing stopping ability. But you are undoing that technology.
              I ran a machine shop for years. I know what material I am dealing with.(Stainless Steel)

You can butcher them in a heart beat if you don't know what you are doing.
              (I miss my Flywheel surfacer)

I have de-glazed many rear rotors. with nil effects. Pad Break in is important!

Name:	P3290170_zpsdf1233ef.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	107659Click image for larger version

Name:	P3290176_zpse60dce09.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	107658

My on hand Personal-supply (Lol)

Name:	P8170001.jpg
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	107660

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page