Hearing Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me toss another bit of info into this two month old thread - it's still valid from a noise perspective.

For the non-electrical engineers in the audience, I'll try to describe this in simple terms...hopefully!

With common helmet earpieces, the resistance value of those devices is (typically) higher than those used with many of the in-ear devices mentioned in this thread.

This resistance value is typically high enough that the low-level noise from the bike is (mostly...) muted, and all you hear is the sound you really want to hear - the intercom, the music, the GPS directions, the radio.

So, those lower-resistance in-ear devices mentioned will (a) operate at a lower volume level. Now, with the helmet earpieces, your comfortable music/sound level might be 15 or 16. With the in-ear devices? It may drop to 6 or 8 for the same comfortable audio level showing up to your eardrums. That's a good thing...if your bike has minimal noise issues.

The noise issues (buzzing from the cruise control...noise that may be coupled in from a grounding loop, et. al.) become more pronounced because of that change in resistance value. Thus, you can listen to things at a lower volume, yet that brings out any less-than-ideal conditions of the audio circuits on your bike.

Last item...for those of us that make a complex system even more complex by adding Bluetooth devices, microphone splitters, etc. this can just make these sorts of issues worse. I fought for weeks with noise on my old '06 as I've mentioned previously in this thread. I had implemented the fix that another individual had identified a decade ago by improving the grounds the bike has. These deteriorate over time. Since I did mentioned I'm keeping this in simple terms, you can do some extra reading by researching the topic of "ground loops" for more technical descriptions of the phenomena. It's black magic, even to those with electrical engineering degrees.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_090400.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	109282 *mic drop*

There nothing wrong with having a good set of earplugs with you i use them from time to time
        2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Earpeace. They work great for me. Everything from concerts to sleeping after a graveyard shift.

https://www.earpeace.com/

2005 Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Winger63 View Post
            Earpeace. They work great for me. Everything from concerts to sleeping after a graveyard shift.

Great, I'm going to give them a try-thanks for the lead Winger63!

Originally posted by Winger63 View Post

I don't have a problem with wind noise, But at $20 and a holder. Why not try what I might be missing?

Thanks for posting the link.
              You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Over the Christmas holiday they were offering a special for $16 shipping free. As I always wear ear protection I decided to try a set and I'm very pleased with the results.
                When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                Jimi Hendrix
                Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Okay, I'll cancel my order and wait for you to remind me of the next special offer.
                  You're such a friend.

• RoadRat
                  RoadRat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats what friends are for Rocky. To be honest by next Christmas I won't even have a clue about reminding you. Sometimes I even forget what I had for breakfast. lol

• Clamper
                  Clamper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RoadRat, I'll remind you and he can hit you later.

I agree with Rocky. Just ordered a pair. $20 and free USPS First Class. They appear much better than the foam I’ve been using occasionally. Thx Winger63.

What?

Just tried ear plugs for the first time. The three layer soft silicone type. They work really well. I can hear the in helmet speakers just fine and they do away with the road and tire noise. The only thing I'll have to get used to is using the cruise control as much as possible. GW motors have always been quiet, but with these things there is virtually no sensory feedback. I found myself doing over ninety on a two-lane without having a clue. I know part of it is just the great feeling of finally getting out during a long winter, but the speed control will prevent a lot of tickets, me thinks.

UPDATE:

I've had these for a couple weeks now. https://www.earpeace.com/

I finally got on the bike to try them out.

I tried a couple sound levels.

I really like these. (med /Clear Centers)

My only complaint if I can call it that?

Is Fidelity isn't as crisp as without the plugs in. And understandable so. (just place a hand over any ear and you'll hear what I mean)

I can see myself getting used to these ear plugs.

Thank you again to "Winger63" for posting the link.
                      ************************************************** *******

I just got an email from earpiece today. Seems their having a 30% off sale through earpiece or amazon till Presidents’ Day.

• Rocky
                          Rocky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Got a link to share?

Mine will probable show up later . I sent in a survey of how I liked them.

• Bronson
                          Bronson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Just go to their website or Amazon and use the code 23QQHN97 at checkout. It states sale is for earpiece in the red case.

• Rocky
                          Rocky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you kindly.

Just ordered the boss a set and spares for both of us.

I haven't tried any of these new things, and can't comment there, but earplugs for me over the years always were torture. Get them in wrong, they did nothing, get them in right, they worked, but my head always felt like I just climbed 5000ft and the ears need to pop and were for lack of a better word, torture. I may very well pay the price someday, but for now I will go naked in the ears as I have the last 50yrs for 99% of my riding.

Originally posted by RonH View Post
                          I haven't tried any of these new things, and can't comment there, but earplugs for me over the years always were torture. Get them in wrong, they did nothing, get them in right, they worked, but my head always felt like I just climbed 5000ft and the ears need to pop and were for lack of a better word, torture. I may very well pay the price someday, but for now I will go naked in the ears as I have the last 50yrs for 99% of my riding.
                          Ron. I'll be the first to tell you I had that way of thinking as well. But for $20 I had to try these out.

Trust me. these very soft Silicone ear plugs fit comfortably,yet not irritating to wear while riding.(or when they are removed)

These are no where the same as the Foam plugs I Have to use at night to cancel the bosses snoring.

Like they say. "try em-you'll like em".

Don't cheat yourself out of something that can make you more comfortable.
                          ************************************************** *******

Ok how are you guys getting them for $20 bucks? I tried the discount code on both sites and it keeps saying “No!”

• Rocky
                              Rocky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              When this topic came up. Ear Peace had a $20.00 special w/free shipping.

EP & Amazon both have the $24.95 price at the moment.
                              I use Prime on Amazon, that shows a Code box at checkout.
                              I entered the (code 23QQHN97)
                              And they took $7.95 off the final cost.

Check your PM.

Got the pm link, thanks Rocky. Aggravated though, I use amazon prime also and when I put that same code it says I can’t use it for this purchase. I’m going to email them and ask them wth?

Madrebel, are you selecting the red case?

Yes

Madrebel, The code 23QQHN97 was the discount code in my email from Earpiece.
                                  After you said you had no luck using the code I thought I’d try. It would not accept the code from me either so maybe it’s only good one time and Rocky was Johnny on the spot.
                                  I put the code on the forum thinking it’s good for anybody multiple times.
                                  Maybe someone else can add to this.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page