Hearing Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Protection

Do any of you ride with hearing protection. I have some pretty serious hearing loss and would like to prevent further damage.
    Years back I rode with the foam inserts, then came radio & intercom systems, to hear them the foam inserts came out. I’m looking for options to cut down on the wind noise but still hear my intercom, radio, etc.

I've never brought out a decibel meter to test the sound of this brand of bike.,

But just generally thinking out loud here. How much noise does a sewing machine make??.
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

It's the wind noise as it rushes into the helmet that's the problem...not the sound of the bike.

Yes, I do wear earbuds that allow me to plug into my helmet and pump sound into my ears directly - or turn sound off, and attenuate what I described above. I wear them any time I'll be riding for more than a half-hour or so.

I can't post a link because it comes from a competitor to a vendor here, but you might try this to start with:

Search for 'edsets universal adapter' on Google.

I ride with ear protection 100% of the time. Ifeel like I actually hear better with them in. I use the rubber ones with the multiple flat blades on them.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
          I ride with ear protection 100% of the time. Ifeel like I actually hear better with them in. I use the rubber ones with the multiple flat blades on them.
          I wear the same ear protection as you do and I agree about hearing better with them. One other plus that I've noticed since wearing them for many years is that on long rides of 400-800 mi. I am more rested and less fatigued at the end of the day. For all you riders with good hearing protect your hearing now before you develop a hearing problem like I did. Once you have a hearing loss you can't reverse the results.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            I do not think I could have done my summer ride this year without doing the earplug thing. A couple of times, instead of the earphones, I used soft foam earplugs and nearly wiped out sound in my head - it was wonderful!

If you can afford them ($300)...I recommend these...both the wife and I use them on long trips...and like RoadRat sez...you feel more rested at the end of the day ...and ready to go the next morning, they are custom molded to your ear ...you have to go to an office ( audiologist) that sells hearing aids:

https://www.westone.com/store/music/...ries/cr-series

Mr. Ed's helmet module allows you to plug right in ( no mods needed)...

for quick rides ( especially on a sport bike) I use these from Walmart ( purple ones from Flents)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Flents-Qu...40-pr/34729649

hth

I have 3 sets of these.
            They are wonderful.
            They are designed for musicians.
            I won't ride,go to races or any loud venue without them.
            Etymotic Research ER-20XS High Fidelity Earplugs - Standard Fit

I just mute my hearing aids.
              DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
              2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

More on the topic with an older post...
                I have ruined my hearing from many years of riding Harley's and wearing worthless helmets. I now wear my Neotec and love it but sometimes I feel that after riding for 5 or 6 hours the wind noise still gets to

I have used Bose noise cancelling earbuds and they are good at cancelling wind noise. In crosswinds they will pop occasionally, however, which is bothersome plus I'm not a fan of anything with cords or that needs charging. As with most things, I usually opt for the most simple, reliable, effective and inexpensive tool and that is foam earplugs.

Instead of $300, they're not as pretty but spend $14.95 to mod your own earbuds: https://www.earfuze.com/collections/...molding-system

and

$65 for the Edsets Universal adapter (maintains the ability for your mic) - this is what Hodaron was talking about

or

for $10.99 and you can listen through your earbuds w/o mic capability by searching Amazon for "cablesonline (BO-A01)"

I never leave home without one or the other and my earfuze modified earbuds.
                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I always use the Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs, ER@) ETY-Plugs when riding. They reduce the
                      wind noise and I can hear the CB and music much better. I'm always wear a helmet with speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ETY-...BResearch&th=1
                      2018 White Gold Wing Tour DCT

The resourceful man's way to create custom-fit earbuds:

NOTE: Goofy dude from England - where this stuff originated - but the idea is stone-dead simple.

And works.

Phiaton Bluetooth Active noise cancelling earbuds. I’ve had a lot of brands, this one cancels out a lot of noise while still allowing me to hear car horns.
                          Also, Bose Noise Cancelling Earbuds. Pricey, effective, but they’re wired, no Bluetooth.

Originally posted by Ray N. View Post
                            I always use the Etymotic High Fidelity Earplugs, ER@) ETY-Plugs when riding. They reduce the
                            wind noise and I can hear the CB and music much better. I'm always wear a helmet with speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-ETY-...BResearch&th=1
                            Yep
                            those are the ones I was talking about.

Originally posted by flat6bagger View Post
                              I have 3 sets of these.
                              They are wonderful.
                              They are designed for musicians.
                              I won't ride,go to races or any loud venue without them.
                              Etymotic Research ER-20XS High Fidelity Earplugs - Standard Fit
                              Everything he said!

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                                It's the wind noise as it rushes into the helmet that's the problem...not the sound of the bike.

Yes, I do wear earbuds that allow me to plug into my helmet and pump sound into my ears directly - or turn sound off, and attenuate what I described above. I wear them any time I'll be riding for more than a half-hour or so.

I can't post a link because it comes from a competitor to a vendor here, but you might try this to start with:

Search for 'edsets universal adapter' on Google.
                                Slick item......In his video he mentioned that some 1800’s had some sound issues (not be his wording) with this device. What about you?

The audio levels and impedances used with standard earpieces in helmets keeps much of the noisy audio from being noticed.

I used an equivalent setup to start (I built it myself), and yes - I had a LOT of noise. The root cause is a motorcycle system ground issue, which is discussed elsewhere on this forum, along with how to resolve it - most of the time.

Once a motorcycle gets five or six years old, the problem will show up - sometimes not too bad, other times, it's BAD. On my '06, it was BAD!

Once that was resolved, the noise is eliminated. It then became a joy to use the earpieces.

My '16 has a small amount of noise, but until I need to get to where the ground is located, I'll live with it for now.

I have a couple pairs of Earpeace earplugs. I like them because unlike regular plugs that just mute sound these lower volume but sound stays sharper.
                                    https://www.earpeace.com/

2005 Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Winger63 View Post
                                      I have a couple pairs of Earpeace earplugs. I like them because unlike regular plugs that just mute sound these lower volume but sound stays sharper.
                                      https://www.earpeace.com/
                                      I have a set of those also.
                                      They are great.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page