Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter??

When my Wing was fairly new, I purchased a K&N air filter in anticipation of a change-out in the future, thinking this would save on later replacement costs. After mentioning this purchase to a fellow Wing rider, he suggested that a K&N filter would require more frequent maintenance, meaning replenishment of the oil used on the filter. Knowing now of the task involved in accessing the filter, I am wondering if this K&N purchase was a wise move. I have not yet installed this K&N, so I would like opinions on this question in my mind. Is frequent re-oiling of the K&N needed/necessary? Should I proceed this the K&N or go with a stock Honda filter? Any words of wisdom out there?

A friend had a F-250 and used an K&N filter. He would take it out, wash in a bucket then let it set out to dry. Next day he was out carefully oiling it, looking of spots he missed or looked like he put to much oil on. Then let it set for an hour before he put it back in. Yeah, it seemed like a waste of time to me. He could have gotten 4 filters for the price he paid for one, and the time spent cleaning and oiling it didn't seem worth it.
    '04 Titanium ABS
    Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
    Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    Free Grazer IBA #22990
    NRA, Elks, and too many others
    Yuma, AZ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The stock toilet paper element becomes clogged much easier and more susceptible to air moisture along with rodent invasion. The synthetic material of the K-N is more robust and flows better before and after the dirt allowing more time between changes.50,000 miles or more can be expected with no where near the blockage of the paper media.

I don't know of any stock toilet paper Air Filters. K&N not any better than a standard Air Filter as show by a side by side test several years ago. It was pretty neat to watch. John threw out his K&N after we watched it.
        '04 Titanium ABS
        Free Grazer IBA #22990
        Yuma, AZ

Originally posted by Clamper View Post
          I don't know of any stock toilet paper Air Filters. K&N not any better than a standard Air Filter as show by a side by side test several years ago. It was pretty neat to watch. John threw out his K&N after we watched it.
          Air has some degree of moisture in it. Did you ever look at the pleated media in a stock filter after removed? All wrinkled and closing up. So, basically if you want to challenge all your plastic and fasteners more often, by all means use stock. The K-N will however pass larger microns of dirt until it becomes more used. then it becomes a better filter as time goes by.The stock will restrict air much sooner. So take your pick.

The biggest reason I have not gone to a K&N filter is the added time to change out the filter. You have to wash the K&N, wait for it to dry, and then oil prior to reinstalling. This added to the minimal improvement based on tests done leads me to believe the cost is not worth the time and effort. I got about 40k miles out of my filter, and it could have gone longer(not much more).
            Costa Mesa, CA
            2012 RED GL1800

That would be nice!

Originally posted by tamathumper
                While we're at it, they could incorporate a smaller screen for rodent resistance... Here's my air filter from a recent tear-down.
                You can buy plastic screens from Wing Stuff;
                http://wingstuff.com/products/37600-...?from_search=1

Or make a pair of them from the old metal screen on the air filter you take off. The screen will pop off and cut them to shape.
                '04 Titanium ABS
                Free Grazer IBA #22990
                Yuma, AZ

While we're at it, they could incorporate a smaller screen for rodent resistance... Here's my air filter from a recent tear-down.
                  Although I can now see that I need to remove several bugs, these are working to keep the mice out of mine.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	106040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3186.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	106041
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Yeah, so a couple of those, and a couple of these, and you're all set...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/multi-fit...hop-/437463829
                    Yup, mice will love you for getting them something to chew on and scratch through.
                    '04 Titanium ABS
                    Free Grazer IBA #22990
                    Yuma, AZ

Originally posted by Clamper View Post

You can buy plastic screens from Wing Stuff;
                      http://wingstuff.com/products/37600-...?from_search=1

Or make a pair of them from the old metal screen on the air filter you take off. The screen will pop off and cut them to shape.
                      I used the screen from my last filter to make covers for the intakes. Bent it to shape and used black duct tape to wrap the edges.

2005 Silver Bullet

Thanks for all the feedback pertaining to my K&N air filter posting. However, the main question about the possible need to replenish the oil on the filter on a more frequent basis has not been addressed at all. K&N advertises a need to clean and re-oil at about 50,000 miles, assuming ideal air conditions. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about re-oiling the K&N filter sooner than this? I am not concerned with the time element involved with the actual filter cleaning and oiling, just the time it takes to access the filter.

Originally posted by dirtwinger View Post
                          Thanks for all the feedback pertaining to my K&N air filter posting. However, the main question about the possible need to replenish the oil on the filter on a more frequent basis has not been addressed at all. K&N advertises a need to clean and re-oil at about 50,000 miles, assuming ideal air conditions. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about re-oiling the K&N filter sooner than this? I am not concerned with the time element involved with the actual filter cleaning and oiling, just the time it takes to access the filter.
                          A good friend Likes his K&N. he bought 2 of them.
                          1 is always cleaned/oiled and sitting in a plastic bag.

He saves time by just swapping them out,(A quick wipe of the bottom of the airbox)

His filter is not any dirtier (or cleaner) than any of my OEM paper filters are. (He changes them every 30K)

Neither of us live in a VERY Dusty condition area.

But he feels better with his K&N (That is a waste of time & Hype)

Its your money-Do what you like-not what others say!!
                          ************************************************** *******
                          Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                          "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                          Current bikes.
                          1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                          1986 GL1200 SEi
                          2004 GL1800

There was a comparison test done with high tech test equipment where they tested multiple different brand filters on a Duramax diesel, and in that test the K&N tested the worst of all filters. It clogged and restricted soonest, and passed more dirt. Not just a little bit either, it was like 11 times more dirt passed the filter than a stock paper filter did.
                            I've used them many times on both motorcycles and trucks and you can see this fact by eye, you can see dirt all over in the intake. I don't think you have to worry of reoiling the filter, but would not use it just because of the inferior filtration. Also what always happens is the rubber seals that seal the filter to the airbox always harden up over time, and eventually the filter is hard as a rock and will no longer seal, and add to that each cleaning the filter gets a little more boogered up and there will be areas the media has small holes that flow even more dirt. I'm glad I tried them, and glad to stay stock for better filtration now.

I apologize if I misunderstood, but if you're asking if there's an easier way to reoil the filter other than the painful disassembly, I would say the answer is 'no'. As I understand it, the steps would be to disassemble, remove the filter, wash the filter, watch the filter dry, re-oil, then install and reassemble.
                              Costa Mesa, CA
                              2012 RED GL1800

<...>K&N advertises a need to clean and re-oil at about 50,000 miles, assuming ideal air conditions. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion about re-oiling the K&N filter sooner than this?
                                What's the threshold between 'ideal' and 'non-ideal' air conditions? Was that explained in the K&N literature?

Being here in the deserts of the southwest, we never have 'ideal' air conditions, thus every 30k to 40k, it's filter time.

I had a K&N on my old Nighthawk. Easy filter to get to, but as alluded earlier in the thread, hard to be certain you've got the oils appropriately dispersed ont he media.

<...>I am not concerned with the time element involved with the actual filter cleaning and oiling, just the time it takes to access the filter.
                                Do it enough times, you get good at it. I could get into the filter of my '06 in 45 min to an hour. I could do it faster, but I would take the time to clean and examine things as I disassembled the parts. Reassembly time about the same. The first time, it took two hours (learning the tricks to detaching certain connectors was a lot of that time...)

I've only been under the shelter of the '16 twice. Slightly different process, but would not expect it to be substantially different.
                                Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page