Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky to be alive.....

Went for a “quiet” ride to Beatty, NV last week, was a beautiful ride... Stopped at the motel 6 for some shuteye after enjoying a nice grilled cheese and bacon sandwich and a nice dinner salad at Denny’s..... I got up the next morning and headed out through Death Valley 🏜 and my route home was taking me through Baker, CA then north/east to Nevada.... the trouble started on Route 127 heading out of Shoshone..... going about 80 mph cruising along minding my own business, up ahead I can see a 18 wheeler is passing slower traffic.... problem was I was closing in fast....I literally had to initiate a full blown abs racking emergency stop to prevent me from being killed.... he wizzed by me by a few feet as I was inches from a very soft sandy shoulder.... I couldn’t believe it, however neither of us had a choice and I had to take evasive action...... I pressed on..... got to Nipton Road off the 15 and headed toward Searchlight..... it’s a very less traveled road.... much to my dismay th same exact thing happens AGAIN!!!! Must have picked up some demons in Death Valley..... same exact scenario, I couldn’t believe it happend twice..... you really have to pay attention and have an escape route/ plan when dealing with the maniacal people on the road......

made it home safe...did laundry, no harm no foul..

ride safe, be aware..

mattbcnv
    "2018 DCT Pearl Stallion Brown”

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ S.Wright

Glad you are ok! Near-misses serve a positive purpose. I sometimes think the narrow dual headlights on a Wing give the illusion that it is a car that is much further away than it actually is.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
      Glad you are ok! Near-misses serve a positive purpose. I sometimes think the narrow dual headlights on a Wing give the illusion that it is a car that is much further away than it actually is.
      That's why I always ride with the fog lights on. Makes the bike look a bit bigger/closer.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Glad we are able to read this on the forum and not in a newspaper.
        Clay's response has pushed me into doing what I should have doe when I first got my F6B.
        I need to install fog lights and use them.
        There has been so many times that I have had Matt's scenario happen I can't count them all.
        Right now our problem in Central Illinois is slow farmers that will not move over.
        Sorry Matt,not trying to hijack your thread.
        Topic of another thread.

Matt. First off. I'm glad you are alright. My condolences to your underwear!!

I hope you had your High Beams on??

I told Lanny to turn his on in DV. You'd be surprised how fast the Low beams fade at distance!!.

With his High beams on. I had no problem seeing him at any time.

Honda's ST1800 LED fog lights are smaller than previous generation fog's were. (Not much help at distance)

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

Damn...you need adult supervision or some such?

Glad those skills came in handy.
            Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Wow, glad you are OK. Damn trucks should stick to Interstates.
              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                There are literally hundreds of miles of desert where Matt was at that have no Interstates.

Drivers really do get impatient out there.

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                No more semi truck stories - all is good, then!!

Back from a quick ride north to a little mining town for lunch....mmmm, good!

Did the stains come out in the laundry, or did you have to throw those drawers away? I'm glad things turned out OK.
              Costa Mesa, CA
              2012 RED GL1800

He was coming from Shoshone marked here going south to the 15. Like kwthorn said, not many options of Interstate if the trucks want to get to places they need to deliver.
                https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...4d-116.2711387
                Costa Mesa, CA
                2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
                  Did the stains come out in the laundry, or did you have to throw those drawers away? I'm glad things turned out OK.
                  “Tide” pods!!!

LOL

mattbcnv

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ S.Wright

• kwthom
                    kwthom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Matt - been to the desert lately?

• Mattbcnv
                    Mattbcnv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not to the Kingdom of Nye, but riding from here to Cali a few times....

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                  Matt. First off. I'm glad you are alright. My condolences to your underwear!!

I hope you had your High Beams on??

I told Lanny to turn his on in DV. You'd be surprised how fast the Low beams fade at distance!!.

With his High beams on. I had no problem seeing him at any time.

Honda's ST1800 LED fog lights are smaller than previous generation fog's were. (Not much help at distance)

Rocky, that is a fact, while very bright in “person” they must fade at distance.... never had a car or truck pull out on me with my old wing..... it was like he didn’t even see me... and when he did, he started flashing his headlights... he was committed... at that point it was entirely up to ME to save ME.....

mattbcnv

• Cruiseman
                    Cruiseman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never had headlights as bright as my 2007 Wing.

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post

Rocky, that is a fact, while very bright in “person” they must fade at distance.... never had a car or truck pull out on me with my old wing..... it was like he didn’t even see me... and when he did, he started flashing his headlights... he was committed... at that point it was entirely up to ME to save ME.....

mattbcnv
                  .An easy solution is. run your hi beams all the time, if nothing else, you'll be easier to see.

I was alarmed when Lanny was following me at only 6-10 bike lengths.
                  It was truly amazing how much brighter the Hi's are than the Low's.
                  Personally-I doubt the fogs would add anything,after seeing the Hi's in action on the very same ride.

I believe you are correct in your thoughts on why the trucker was flashing at you. It was a Holy crap-where did that bike come from all of a sudden?

I bet he soiled himself too at that point!.
                  Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

• Cruiseman
                    Cruiseman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I run my high beams all the time, even in the dark and I almost never get flashed from oncoming traffic. I used to get flashed all the time on my 2007 Wing.

This is why I always ride with my modulating high beams and fog lights on during the day. My fog lights are the brighter than most, if not all, that I've seen. The only ones that came close were the six-shooters.
                  Costa Mesa, CA
                  2012 RED GL1800

Matt, Glad you're okay! I have the same problem on 95 between Tonopah and Vegas. I even had the NHP tell me to turn off the high beams, I did till he was gone.
                    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
                      Matt, Glad you're okay! I have the same problem on 95 between Tonopah and Vegas. I even had the NHP tell me to turn off the high beams, I did till he was gone.
                      That sounds wrong, and not a lawful order. I think you did the right thing. Unless it was night-time, and you were coming up on someone, or blinding oncoming traffic.
                      https://www.ocregister.com/2011/08/1...the-daytime-2/
                      Costa Mesa, CA
                      2012 RED GL1800

Mattbcnv. . Be aware , the town of Nipton CA is up for sale again.. As Nipton CEO...you might, as the new owner and Nipton mayor, get something going thru surveillance and ticketing or something more aggressive... work to retrain truckers in that area to make it safer for ST1800 owners.

https://www.krqe.com/news/weird/tiny...or-sale-again/
                        Last edited by meshego1; 11-15-2020, 01:05 PM.
                        2007 GL1800 level1
                        2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

Originally posted by meshego1 View Post
                          Mattbcnv. . Be aware , the town of Nipton CA is up for sale again.. As Nipton CEO...you might, as the new owner and Nipton mayor, get something going thru surveillance and ticketing or something more aggressive... work to retrain truckers in that area to make it safer for ST1800 owners.

https://www.krqe.com/news/weird/tiny...or-sale-again/
                          That’s not a bad idea!!!

now if I could only get my hands on 2.75 million......

mattbcnv

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post

That’s not a bad idea!!!

now if I could only get my hands on 2.75 million......

mattbcnv
                            C'mon - offer $2.25mil - betcha you could scrounge that up in a week or two.
                            Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Maybe the Rockstar can jump in to hep uts...He would have some such good iders and you would make a good pair?
                              2007 GL1800 level1
                              2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

I will make all of you part of my Cabinet....

Ken Minister of town planning and infrastructure

mark. Minister of travel and tourism

Lanny. Minister of Knowledge

Rocky. Minister of engineering, repair and customer complaints

Gary. Minister of “Woke” and CA politics consultant

Matt (me) Mayor

LOL

mattbcnv

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X