Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you Ride??

I call my bike my Therapist.

No matter what kind of day I'm having. I get on my bike and even a short ride running an errand will clear my head, and reminds me too (Screw life's little crap). It really don't matter.Life's to short. I tend to enjoy it, rather than complain about what I can't control.

I didn't buy my bikes for mileage.
    I consider them toys to play with.
    I bought them because they don't complain, or cost a lot in repairs when I Flog the snot out of them.
    This in turn saves wear n tear on all my cages. I know they are traffic vehicles,and treat/drive them differently..

So why do you Ride??

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

I ride mine sporadically.
    Many times I have thought about getting rid of my F6B.
    Then I go out and stare at it sitting there.
    Waiting to take me anywhere I want to go.
    It is at that moment I start to appreciate what that motorcycle has given me.
    Memories!
    Such as the first time my 3 year old (at the time) grandson saw it and named it "Blackie"
    The 600 mile turn around rides to get fudge at my wife's favorite shop, just to see her smile when I unexpectedly hand the box to her when I get home.
    Having people walk past other brand motorcycles to ask me questions about a motorcycle that intrigues them.
    The memories go on and on.
    There was a time I was on my F6B every day that I possibly could.
    By the middle of the second riding season it was not "Blackie" to me any longer.
    "Blackie" became an it,just another mode of transportation.
    Now days,the rides have become shorter,yet more relaxing and appreciated.
    That is why I ride.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Because I love it and have since I was two years old and got my first little trike! Funny thing is I can still remember riding that trike on our back porch in Lebanon, OR but I can't remember what I did two minutes ago any more!

If I had to pare it down to a single phrase, it soothes me. Sounds silly, but as soon as I get going down the road I relax. It's an oxymoron because my senses come alive - the smells, the temp changes, the music coming through the earbuds, watching the traffic and everything around me for that (whatever) that's about to walk or pull out in front or beside me, etc.

Getting onto the back roads and away from busy traffic. Seeing/smelling the countryside. I prefer longer rides, but taking an hour to divert through the country to ride 20 minutes up the road is fine with me, too. Riding 11 hours to Tampa on business instead of flying, even if most of it is interstate, is better than flying. Hell, I have to travel from eastern NC to several places from Tampa to Denver or DC and I will always do it on the bike if weather supports it, rather than fly.

And while I love the serenity of it, I do prefer the wife to also be on the back or a friend to be following along (I got stuck being the Ride Captain years ago and now we just fall into line that way). Even if we never talk, there's a friend along, which makes the ride even better.

Bottom line: Relaxing, turning on the increased senses, etc. Even in the cold and the heat, the wind and the rain (within reason), just seems to make living better.
        2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
        USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
        US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
        2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
        2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

it does clear my mind a bit.
          2013 Red Airbag 1800

I ride because I can, thanks to my old man for getting a me a Honda Mini Trail automatic when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I have always loved riding two wheels regardless of the weather with the exception of snow or hurricane. I did have a long break after the kids came along. Funny thing after not riding close to thirty years I was renewing my drivers license and the clerk mentioned " I see you at one time had a MC permit, you qualify for grandfather in for a few dollars" I bit and not more than a year later I bought a GW1832 and eventually traded it in on my 2018 GW1833. People thought I was crazy 60 year olds don't need to be on two wheels, oh yeah watch me with a huge smile on my face. You could say it's my two wheel Rx with wonderful side effects as many of the posters previously mentioned! Enjoy and ride safe fellow two wheel friends! I know I am for SURE

It's a good stress reliever. When I ride alone I really enjoy the curvy roads we have in our area. Nothing like making the big girl lay over enough to lift the pegs. I'm still a little bit of a speed junkie. The B satisfies that in spades.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
                It's a good stress reliever. When I ride alone I really enjoy the curvy roads we have in our area. Nothing like making the big girl lay over enough to lift the pegs. I'm still a little bit of a speed junkie. The B satisfies that in spades.
                I'd say keep the black side down, but that wouldn't do any good. How about keep the shiny side up!
                2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I just got back from a "session" what was the question?
                  DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                  2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

I ride because, as a 13 year old, my uncles invited us nephews and uncle's my age to 9 mile hill sand dunes just west of Albuquerque city limits and 100 yards south of I-40. After watching them ride their Honda and Yamaha 350 Enduros and having them show us how to ride, I got the bug. Over the yesrs with different bikes and traveling the majority of this great country, I enjoy exploring and talking to the locals about their areas just gets me wanting to know more . I've lived in Albuquerque, Denver, Phoenix, Tucson and back to Rio Rancho NM just west of the Rio Grande and have explored NM. CO. AZ. West Texas. SOTHERN UT& NV and traveled to many places in between. The 360 views are spectacular ..for m the most part people are great, humble and if they're not complaining, something's wrong lol. The more I learn about where Ive been seems to humble me and let me know how much I really don't know. That's why I ride.
                    2007 GL1800 level1
                    2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
                      I just got back from a "session" what was the question?
                      Exactly!!! Who cares?!?!?!

Motorcycles have been a part of my life for almost as long as I can remember. Of all the other hobbies I have, motorcycling is the one thing I couldn't give up without a fight. Like others have said, I ride for fun, not for practical purposes. Riding a motorcycle makes the journey the best part of the trip.

I ride because I feel good when I'm riding and it beats the alternatives. My bikes are much more than entertainment for occasional local jaunts or long trips although they certainly do that a lot. They are practical, economical workhorses that get used regularly around the farm and I don't baby them or treat them like royalty. Whether it's a trip of one mile or 10,000, if I can take a motorcycle, I will.

I'm lazy right now...

Specifically, Items 1, 8 and 10. :D

The thrill of being at one with a two-wheeled machine that weighs only a few hundred pounds is one of the purest ways to get from point A to B.

• biglefti
                              biglefti commented
                              Editing a comment
                              In your 10 reason article, it said lane sharing is legal in Texas as well as CA.

• kwthom
                              kwthom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It might be 'not illegal' as it was for decades until recently in California:

https://www.attorneybrianwhite.com/l...egal-texas.php

"The laws in the Lone Star State don’t technically fall on either side of the argument, leaving many confused about its legality."

Robert M. Pirsig the author of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” said it best:
                            “You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. .... On a cycle the frame is gone. You’re completely in contact with it all. You’re in the scene, not watching it anymore, and the sense or presence is overwhelming. The concrete whizzing by five inches below your foot is the real thing, the same stuff you walk on, it’s right there, so blurred you can’t focus on it, yet you can put your foot down and touch it anytime, and the whole thing, the whole experience, is never removed from immediate consciousness.”

When I ride I am just enjoying the ride. I think about the enjoyment of the ride only. I agree it is the best theoropy out there, Much like a young kid riding his bike. Ride safe

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X