Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on LED headlites: 2013 Goldwing

After 5 yrs & 3 months with 60+ miles. A H7 bulb in the low beam burned out on my 2013 bike. I have been pondering a LED replacement from Lewis at Electrical Connection.... Wing Stuff has them. Good reveiws at the Wingstuff site on the EC light bulb of LED design.

Kinda wonder if the LED would last as long? I read that often the replacement H7 bulbs do not last more than 1 or 2 yrs
    2013 Red Airbag 1800

Sponsor ...

I think Cruiseman did a review of these on his old bike.

What kills an LED light is not getting rid of the heat properly.

Answer for your final comment...

An article explaining how long halogen headlight bulbs last, written by Car Bulbs Direct, experts in automotive lighting since 1977.

Brightness and longevity are unfortunately mutually exclusive properties.
    Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Having tried just about every bulb configuration out there.
      I have 3 sets of OEM Headlights in my shop.

My Advice is the stay with the H7 Halogen.

WHY.

Any bulb is only as good as its Reflector.

The GL1800 headlight reflector was designed for Halogen bulbs.

Both the LED & HID bulbs will scatter the light (Light up the owls in the trees) And blind on coming traffic.

Neither will Direct the light Down the Road where you need them most..

The only way to use LED bulbs on your bike is with "Projectors" (they require some finesse to install)

The Reflector in the Projector will focus the light on the road,
      They have a built in cut off line that doesn't allow them to blind on coming traffic.
      They are dual Hi/Lo beams. So technically you have 4 Low Beams & 4 Hi beams. (you add a Hi/lo switch)

After all my experimentation's. I have H7 Silver Star Ultra bulbs in the OEM Headlights right now. (that says it all)
      Life is Tough, But It's Tougher If You're Stupid: "John Wayne"

I replaced the lows and highs on my 2014 GW with Pathfinder LED replacements, from the above-mentioned Socalmotogear. I got them when they first came out and there was a waiting list, and they were definitely worth the wait.

Much much brighter, worked great with the stock housings, and lasted me several years up until I sold the bike.

I'm not kidding when I say they were seriously bright compared to the stock halogens, but on the low beams nobody ever flashed me and I didn't have to adjust them... but even if you do, it's so easy on the previous model GW's it's no biggie.

And the high beams... holy cow. Amazing difference from stock, I could see not only much further but everything was much brighter and more defined.

The other thing I really liked about them was they matched the LED fog lights. No more dingy yellow up top and super bright-white below. Granted that's a minor thing compared to the awesome performance of the lights, but it was a nice cherry on top nonetheless (and I'm super-OCD, so the yellow/white difference bugged me to no end. haha)

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

WHY.

Both the LED & HID bulbs will scatter the light (Light up the owls in the trees) And blind on coming traffic.

The only way to use LED bulbs on your bike is with "Projectors" (they require some finesse to install)

They have a built in cut off line that doesn't allow them to blind on coming traffic.
          They are dual Hi/Lo beams. So technically you have 4 Low Beams & 4 Hi beams. (you add a Hi/lo switch)

After all my experimentation's. I have H7 Silver Star Ultra bulbs in the OEM Headlights right now. (that says it all)
          Have you considered upgrading/changing your headlights on your ST1800? Maybe projectors?
          2007 GL1800 level1
          2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

WHY.

I agree with all of this.
            I use the same bulbs.
            I am not smarter than a Honda Engineer.
            Some feel they are.

Originally posted by meshego1 View Post

Have you considered upgrading/changing your headlights on your ST1800? Maybe projectors?
              Oh yes I thought about it. But No it's not possible to install projectors in the ST housings.

The ST Lo beams are weak.They tend to fade fast when in a group. I prime case for Aux Lights (to be seen better)

But The ST HI beams are really Bright,I run them all the time. (Running them full time is what I do)

Nutjob-Bob would hate the ST modulators. Kickass bright.

I used halogen all the way, a whiter bulb will give you better results... I think sylvania makes really good white halogens...

mattbcnv
                "2018 DCT Pearl Stallion Brown”

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ S.Wright

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post
                  I used halogen all the way, a whiter bulb will give you better results... I think sylvania makes really good white halogens...

mattbcnv
                  You are correct.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	105233

Yep, those are them.... buy a few sets as they don’t last too long..... in 15 years and two wings I only had to replace the low beam.... easy peasy....

mattbcnv

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~ S.Wright

The one issue I have with these bulbs is that my left low beam on my F6B has burnt out twice in 35,000 miles.
                      I still like them and the coverage they provide.

When I ran the more expensive Piaa bulbs When I first bought the 04..
                        I didn't mind what they cost, I was looking to get away from the yellow look of the OEM bulbs.

I was dismayed in how short lived they were. 12-14 mos was in my opinion to short a life span for a highly touted H7 Bulb. (But they were bright white)

Piaa has and still does have a great reputation. Sadly the H7 110/55W wasn't as reliable as some of there other products!

After my trimeless search for a better bulb. I am staying with the Silverstar Ultra.

So true Rocky.... I tried piaa lights, they were VERY pricey but given their reputation I ordered them... great white light however they only lasted a few months... you could buy a dozen sets of the Sylvania bulbs for the cost of those...

mattbcnv

I am staying with the Silver Star Ultra also.
                            I just wish I knew what causes my left low beam bulb to be the only one to burn out.

Great info from Matt and Rocky. I've been thinking about PIAA. I've ran then in my cars and trucks in the past. The performance was excellent. I think the harshness of the frontend on the GL shortens these bulbs life. If the Silver Star is good enough for Doug I guess I can try them.

"If the Silver Star is good enough for Doug I guess I can try them."
                                You know I am dang near OCD about things.
                                Good call.
                                Shooter you mentioned harshness of the GL front end shortens the life of the bulbs.
                                I hope that is true as I have installed Progressive front springs about 750 miles ago.
                                To me on my F6B it feels and handles about 60% better.(not hijacking this thread,just speaking about the harshness)
                                Time will tell of the bulbs last longer.

More light than weather allows...

Effective 07/02/2022, in a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page