• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1096dad
    100 Club Member
    • Aug 2014

Trip essentials

When you get ready to go on a trip, what are some basic essentials you always take with you? Obviously those with trailers can afford to take a bit more, but what is your "don't leave home without it" list include?
    Ron - Montrose, CO
    2018 Pearl White GL1800 DCT
    2012 Pearl White GL1800 Level 1 - Sold @ 63K miles
    I don't ride to make great time; I ride to have a great time!
  • jmohme
    1K Club
    • Aug 2014

As you said, those that pull trailers…
    So with that said, my essential are already in my trailer and I always have my trailer attached, with a cooler with packs for my cooling vests. Air compressor, first aid kit. Sleeping bag, rain gear. basic tools to handle flat tires and electrical issues, and photo gear.
    On the bike I have my iPhone on a Ram mount, and a Camelbak in a cooler in the trunk to keep me hydrated.
    The remaining space is reserved for the wife and her essentials, and I won't open that Pandora's box!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• WB-Ron
      100 Club Member
      • Aug 2014

Whether it's a short ride or a long trip, I always carry a Larry Light in my trunk.
      Ron
      2002 GL1800A Darksider #1312
      Experience is the hardest teacher because she gives the test first,
      and the lesson afterward ~ Vernon Sanders Law

• CaptLen
        100 Club Member
        • Aug 2014

I took some basic tools, first aid supplies, rain gear, (we camped out so there was lots of camp gear) and more clothes than I needed as we rode more and walked around towns less. Fred Rau's "Touring Bible" was very helpful for a first time tripper. My friend did not bring heated gear but I brought my heated vest. Glad I did, because when we couldn't find a motel next to last night and rode over 12 hours it was chilly. PS-only tol Imised was adjustable wrench to adjust highway pegs. Additional hint- I used tiedown straps to hold luggage but they loosened due to tent etc being soft so stopped at Home Depot and bought bungees- worked easily and well.

• jmohme
          1K Club
          • Aug 2014

Ok, I give. What is a Larry Light?

• WB-Ron
            100 Club Member
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by jmohme View Post
            Ok, I give. What is a Larry Light?
            It's a very handy LED flashlight.

Ron

• WB-Ron
              100 Club Member
              • Aug 2014

Ron

• Lone Ranger
                1K Club
                • Aug 2014

I always carry two MSR (large) bottles nestled in Styrofoam ( cut out two holes to stabilize them) to keep them from moving around. I also carry a tool bag (some ideas from Fred) which allows me to take care of tire problems and mechanical problems. Rain gear, crank flashlight, fire starter, compass, jumper cables, cell phone charger, gloves, sweatshirt (incase I need dry top), paper maps, first aid supplies and a few other things I can't remember.
                "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

• Yellowbird
                  1K Club
                  • Aug 2014

Rain Gear i need to get a kit together but when i am going on a long trip i do bring a lot of extra supplies.
                  2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

• bandito
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by CaptLen View Post
                    I took some basic tools, first aid supplies, rain gear, (we camped out so there was lots of camp gear) and more clothes than I needed as we rode more and walked around towns less. Fred Rau's "Touring Bible" was very helpful for a first time tripper. My friend did not bring heated gear but I brought my heated vest. Glad I did, because when we couldn't find a motel next to last night and rode over 12 hours it was chilly. PS-only tol Imised was adjustable wrench to adjust highway pegs. Additional hint- I used tiedown straps to hold luggage but they loosened due to tent etc being soft so stopped at Home Depot and bought bungees- worked easily and well.
                    Just a comment on the tie down straps. I always carry a ratchet tie down strap. Comes in handy if you need to reseat a tire bead if you had to repair a flat and the bead became unseated.

• hparsons
                      500 Club Member
                      • Aug 2014

I think it changes depending on the length of the trip.
                      2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

• msnden
                        • Aug 2014

For me it depends on the length of the trip & which bike I am on, with the "Wing" I know I am not going to venture to far off the beat'n trail, I don't pack a lot, tent, bag, cot, & now that I have one, a smart phone. I sometimes with throw in my "jetboil" for coffee in the AM, but most times I don't even do that. On the more adventurous rides, the back roads, (which are my favorite) on the KLR, or the "R" my list is quite extensive. I am never without my "Roadcrafter" which is a storage unit in its self, & stores the passport, chapstick, advil, emergency cash, extra key, & many other small items, which are never removed, only replaced as used. Always considerate on enjoying yourselves, should the situation arise, you are never far from a "Wally World" jmop

• jmohme
                          1K Club
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by WB-Ron View Post
                          Oh, I have a couple of those, just not that brand. They are quite handy.

• BgBlk06
                            • Aug 2014

The longer the trip, the more clothes, but every trip I have tools, rain gear, my gps and a credit card. One hour ride or across the county, those are the essentials for me. Kurt
                            Coast to Coast non-stop-CERTIFIED IBA #57815
                            Jacksonville to San Diego
                            2367 miles..31hours 52min
                            1860 miles..24 hours
                            1025 miles..15 hours

Double Darksider #333 Michelin Alpin Battlax BT45

• wingleader09
                              500 Club Member
                              • Aug 2014

I made checklists in Microsoft Word for different types of trips (cool weather, warm weather, camping, etc). This has worked well for me for several years. This way I don't forget anything important.

• flyerq68
                                100 Club Member
                                • Aug 2014

My wife just got me one of these, It's in the bike all the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Ken
                                ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

• speckfisher
                                  100 Club Member
                                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by flyerq68 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Ba.../dp/B00FDYYK4A

Very neat, I'll be ordering one of these, thanks for the post.
                                  '12 GL1800 Level 4 & '08 FLHX Darksider #1378

• Rocky
                                    1K Club
                                    • Aug 2014

When I travel by myself. I don't see a need for a trailer to weigh me down. I just take along what I need.

• hparsons
                                      500 Club Member
                                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by flyerq68 View Post

I too am very interested in this. The only time I've ever needed a jump on any of my 'Wings is when I've forgotten and left the key on. I'm curious if it will jump off a 'Wing that has a good battery that is completely discharged.
                                      2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

• Kiwi
                                        500 Club Member
                                        • Aug 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	lodod bike.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	11015

I'm sort of opposite to this guy.
                                        Very small amount of tools, a puncture kit and a credit card.
                                        GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page