Sound like a belt...huh?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sound like a belt...huh?

    I know that the gl1800 has a timing chain and not a belt, but IS THERE A BELT ANYWHERE ON THIS MOTORCYCLE?

    At 65K miles, I've begun to hear something that sounds like a belt. Is it possible that I'm hearing the timing chain?

    I think I remember someone saying that "Timing Chain noise is possible ESPECIALLY IF YOU PARK IT ON THE SIDESTAND".

    Is that really true?

  • #2

    If you hear the timing chains then you got an oiling issue. (So stop worrying)
    what you are describing sounds normal on some bikes. not all of them have the very same sounds even though they are supposed to be the same engine.

    The next time you hear this noise-for grins pull in the clutch and see if the noise changes?. it could be the clutch basket rattling.

    Bikes are like people. some fart at idle,and some fart while walking. what are ya gonna do>


    If someone did say "the timing chain will make noise on the side stand", I'd laugh and tell them to put the crack pipe down, look what it's doing to you!

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      If you hear the timing chains then you got an oiling issue. (So stop worrying)
      what you are describing sounds normal on some bikes. not all of them have the very same sounds even though they are supposed to be the same engine.

      The next time you hear this noise-for grins pull in the clutch and see if the noise changes?. it could be the clutch basket rattling.

      Bikes are like people. some fart at idle,and some fart while walking. what are ya gonna do>


      If someone did say "the timing chain will make noise on the side stand", I'd laugh and tell them to put the crack pipe down, look what it's doing to you!
      John

      Dark Sider 1020
      Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
      Centramatic Wheel Balancers

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Try starting the bike cold, let it go through two cycles of fans, then ride it for at least 20 minutes and report back.
        Costa Mesa, CA
        2012 RED GL1800

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
          Try starting the bike cold, let it go through two cycles of fans, then ride it for at least 20 minutes and report back.
          You left out the most important part. It will not work unless the battery is...nevermind, I can't even make myself say it.
          Rob

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bucfan11 View Post

            You left out the most important part. It will not work unless the battery is...nevermind, I can't even make myself say it.
            Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
            """""""Darksider #10 It's been said by many people, that I am still only 16 years old inside my head!! LOL!!
            I have never thrown a leg over any make or model of motorcycle and had nothing but a good time!!"""""""

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bucfan11 View Post

              You left out the most important part. It will not work unless the battery is...nevermind, I can't even make myself say it.
              You forgot to mention that your battery should look like this or it's not approved by Honda.

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                Is the gray duct tape an authorized accessory??

            • #8
              I dunno, I think I got something for nothing??
              I wasn't going to say anything so I didn't draw attention to myself.

              Hmmmm. Maybe I should go back and tell them they forgot to charge me for it huh - What would you do??


              If I do go back, I'm waiting for a little bit.
              Three White Scion XB mini vans were following me home, I gotta tell ya- that creeps me out.

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #9
                Thanks, guys! Lots of good info. Oh...wait...are you joking?

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #10
                  Originally posted by SteelTraveler View Post
                  Thanks, guys! Lots of good info. Oh...wait...are you joking?
                  Are you kidding me??-- Us joke around--Nawwwwww

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #11
                    It bet the noise you are hearing is...you might have the regular NGK spark plugs in your wing...instead of the Honda NGK plugs...bet that's it

                    John
                    John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #12
                      Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
                      It bet the noise you are hearing is...you might have the regular NGK spark plugs in your wing...instead of the Honda NGK plugs...bet that's it

                      John
                      John, you are wise beyond your years.

                      I'd check that your Honda battery is 100% charged.
                      Costa Mesa, CA
                      2012 RED GL1800

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #13
                        Now I know why I came to this forum. You guys are hilarious.

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                        Related Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X