CSC Escapade Air Shocks Leak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSC Escapade Air Shocks Leak?

Hi, I have a 2004 CSC Escapade trailer which I purchased new back in 2004. I have a slow air leak somewhere and can't find it in the oem Progressive air shock lines. I tightened the lines and checked all the fittings and valve stem with soap & water....... nothing. I'm hoping that it's not a shock seal issue, but it's starting to look that way. If its the Progressive shocks, I heard that they are around $400.00 for a pair new......... Yikes! Maybe they can be rebuilt, if not I may have to look for an alternative. Have you experienced this problem? If so, did you find a fix? Any help and/or thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

No pressure gauge..... I'm going to contact Progressive this week. I'll report back once I get a definitive answer. Thanks, Ray

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Rocky
      I know it's time consuming, but I'd take the whole system out and submerge it pressurized in something (bathtub) to see what part was the leaky culprit??.

You already tried the soapy water trick which didn't help.

so time to get busy and find the source!!
      I hear ya....... I'm not at home at this time. Once I'm back, that's my plan. Thanks for the great advice. Ray

I received an email back last night from Progressive in which I asked them the following questions;
        1) How can I tell what the actual air shock part number is?
        2) Does Progressive offer any instructions for rebuilding?
        3) Do you carry the air lines, connectors, etc.?

Response Progressive;
        Hi Ray,
        We offer a rebuild kit for 26.00 but we are out right now. You can do it yourself. If your shocks are out of the year warranty, we do not rebuild them any longer. For the airlines, we sell them, but there is about a month lead time right now.
        If there is not a sticker on the shock with the part #, you will have to call CSC. I need the part # of the shock to give you the connectors, and tubing you need.
        I have attached the instructions. We do not have fitment for trailers, we sell CSC a private label shock, so give them the model of trailer to see if they offer it.

I'm a little concerned about part availability and/or shock replacement. I.M.O. it's a little odd to have everything on back order. I'm going to contact CSC for a response. Hopefully there is another shock out there for us CSC owner's for an alternative. If there is, I haven't heard of it. Personally, I wouldn't mind an adjustable shock without air.

Ray. These days businesses are keeping low inventory for on the shelf parts. that is a lot on money sitting on shelves.

Be positive, At least they didn't say ,your SOL we discontinued those shocks years ago!!

Give CSC a call and maybe they stock the parts you need?

Did you determine what parts you need yet?
          Not yet........ I'm not at home at this time to tear things apart. As I stated, I'm going to call CSC for their response. As far as SOL, I hope that won't be the case. I.M.O. seals and plastic air lines shouldn't be all that much as well as keeping a small inventory on hand. I do agree that many businesses do not keep parts laying around due to costs and sale-ability.

I may be all wet here. If you need air lines and the rubber line seals maybe even the nuts I would look at an auto parts stores. Asking for automotive air shock parts. Thinking back to my GL1200 days.

Ray. These days businesses are keeping low inventory for on the shelf parts. that is a lot on money sitting on shelves.

Be positive, At least they didn't say ,your SOL we discontinued those shocks years ago!!

Give CSC a call and maybe they stock the parts you need?

Did you determine what parts you need yet?
              It appears that we all are SOL........ The following is an email that I received back today from CSC;

Raymond,
              We do not rebuild shocks nor do we have any rebuild kits. Progressive use to rebuild them but no longer. Progressive, two weeks ago told us they are no longer building our shocks. We do not have an alternative yet. We do have an airline kit that sells for $33.00 plus shipping.
              Best Regards

Hi Rocky,
                First, I thank you for your input, help and very kind offer. I did ask Progressive when they expect to have more rebuild kits but, I haven't received word back yet. I'm normally a do it yourself guy and the rebuild does appear it could be done without special tools. On the other hand in step 7 of the instructions (below) it states; If the air pressure alone will not remove the seal, then a slide-hammer seal remover must be used. I would hate to spend money on a tool that I would only use, in all likelihood, once. With that being said, on the other hand, it may be worth it. The only other thing I don't quite understand is steps 9 and on;
                How would you slide the seals, washers and snap ring over the shock if it's in a vise? Is it possible to slide all of this over the eye first "before" clamping into the vise?
                I'm not going to discard your offer and I sincerely appreciate your time and help for getting this resolved. I'll let you and everyone here know what I come up with. Thanks again! Ray

​​​​​​​

Ray. call your local Oriley's/autozone/napa store. around here they loan out tools,
                  ask id they have a sea1-2 pound slide hammer seal puller?.

The parts washer/seals slide over he eyelet into the larger air chamber.

It will be obvious when you have them out. (Its not a hard job to do)

I'm going to look at a Elite trailer today. if it checks out?, I'll buy it. lol
                  Thanks Rocky,
                  I will call them to see what they may have. The only other thing I would need is the snap ring pliers Which they may offer as well. Hope the Elite trailer pans out for you......... they are nice. I don't feel mine at all, even when it's loaded. Thanks again, Ray

Harbor Freight has a cheap snap ring plier set.

Now we got something in common.

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_9013.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t296.1 KB ID:\t102634","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"102634","data-size":"medium"}
                    Thanks Rocky..... As for the trailer SWEET!!

Ray. check your PM's.
                      Got it.......

Hi Ray. just wanted to update you on my Shock conversion.

I got rid of the problematic Air shocks and install a set of coil overs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9265.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	394.2 KB
ID:	104993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9278.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	104992

Name:	IMG_9274.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	104995Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9286.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	104994

As you can see I restored the wheel wells paint for my testing the new shock travel.

I loaded 305 pounds in the trailer and took it on some real bumpy roads.
                        I doubled the weight I'd normally carry, just for testing purposes.

When I completed testing.
                        I pulled the wheels to look for any signs of rubbing as was the case with air shocks.
                        I was pleased, as there were no signs of Body roll (Tires didn't touch the body) o
                        Or the tires hitting the top of either wheel well. (Bottoming out)

I took before and after measurement of static unloaded trailer vs loaded trailer.
                        Unloaded tip of wheel well to ground. 23" 3/4
                        Loaded 22" 1/4-5/16
                        Shocks still had a couple inches of travel.

I could not get the coil to bind when pushing down hard on the trailer.
                        I put grease on a couple coils before testing.
                        After testing the grease didn't transfer to the coil above it!. (No coil binding at all)

As we had talked about in PM's

I did share my testing with CSC.

Stay tuned for news from CSC for there customers with air shock issues.

The best part of my redesign.
                        I only have $62 invested in this new and improved suspension.

Keep me posted on your conversion after the cabin is done. (You know how to get hold of me, if I can be of assistance?)

Be safe out there my friend.
                        ************************************************** *******
                        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Thank you Rocky!! Great Pic's! That's awesome news on the coil over shocks. I'm definitely going this route over air shocks. Now I'm really curious to see what CSC will be stating....... You've taken a lot of time in investigating and testing for a resolution for these trailer air shocks which proved to be, in a word "Awesome." I sincerely appreciate everything you've done. You're truly a great asset to this forum and with no doubt, others will agree!!
                          Thank You buddy, and you be safe as well!! Ray
                          P.S. Still at the cabin working away..... I will keep you posted on the shock install once I get to it...LOL.

Ray as you know I can't leave anything Stock.

Seeing how I added 5 lug Hubs n Wheels, with larger tires.

I found that after I bought a likewise wheel/tire for a spare that I had some work to do.

Here is the difference between the wheels that the trailer came with and what I am now using.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9038.JPG Views:	1 Size:	355.4 KB ID:	113752

Once I mounted the tire and put it in the trailer floor, that's when the trouble started.

Ya can't put 10 pounds in a 5 pound sack.

The spare cavity is a wedge shape. being deeper facing the front of the trailer.

I had to enlarge the Spare lid lip by 1/4 so the tire would drop into the cavity.

Then the next issue was clear.

The larger/wider tire was sticking out of the lid lip.

I cut the bottom off the cavity.

I then had to modify the wedge shape. I cut out a section.

The cavity needed to be enlarged to except the larger tire diameter and width.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0520.JPG Views:	1 Size:	390.3 KB ID:	113753

As you can see. the bottom is beveled. and wouldn't allow for a taller tire to sit below the lid lip

I used the bottom of the cavity, on a bike jack with the tire inside the cavity for measurements.

Here you ca see how much I needed to enlarge the cavity.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0521 (2).JPG Views:	1 Size:	261.1 KB ID:	113754

Here is what the end result is after modifications/fiberglass work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	59.1 KB ID:	113755 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	113767

Seeing how the my new shock design raises the body.

I still have plenty of ground clearance going over speed bumps.

I'll be adding a skid plate on both ends on the cavity.
                            so I don't drag the bottom when I'm moving the trailer around. (Precaution)

While doing this project. I learned that the air shocks let the front of the cavity hit speed bumps when no air was in the shocks, (It had scuff marks)

After my loaded test ride. Nothing touched. (I love these new shocks-No more air shock hassles)

Wow Rocky!! How Awesome!! When it comes to engineering and/or re-engineering you knock the ball way out of the park! The trailer looks incredible..... Those tires are nothing short of being an incredible improvement. I'm so glad that your shock design is working out. I can't wait for this crappy weather to pass by here in Michigan so I can get out on the road. Not dealing with those air shocks will be so nice. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity and pic's, you're truly awesome at what you do!! Be safe buddy!! Ray 👍👍😊

It seems like I have the same problem as Rocky did, my 2007 CSC escapade trailer with the air shocks stated leaking air. I called dealer and he said the shocks were on back order for over a year, and did not offer any advise. I found your words on this forum and was wondering, would it be rude in asking what kind of coil over shocks did you find that worked, and where did you get them. Unlike Rocky, I am not a mechanic, but love to ride. Heading to Nova Scotia in July with wife (therefore need my trailer, Ha). Any help would be appreciated. Steve

Originally posted by steve Kerbow View Post
                                  It seems like I have the same problem as Rocky did, my 2007 CSC escapade trailer with the air shocks stated leaking air. I called dealer and he said the shocks were on back order for over a year, and did not offer any advise. I found your words on this forum and was wondering, would it be rude in asking what kind of coil over shocks did you find that worked, and where did you get them. Unlike Rocky, I am not a mechanic, but love to ride. Heading to Nova Scotia in July with wife (therefore need my trailer, Ha). Any help would be appreciated. Steve
                                  Steve, The problem is Progressing (who made the air shocks) pulled the rug out from under CSC.
                                  "They stopped making the Air shocks due to lack of sales"

Right after that happened Ray the OP started this thread and I then bought my own Elite.

My coil over shock set up costs me under $70.

I shared my new design with CSC.

Progressive is now making coil over shocks for CSC for the Escapade Elite & Eclipse trailers.

CSC tells me there new shocks are $177 EACH. You'll have to decide if you want to pay that amount or do what we did to solve the air shock issue??

My design is a bolt in replacement.

PM me an email, and I'll get you the part numbers for what you'll need.

Rocky

Originally posted by steve Kerbow View Post
                                    Hi Steve, I just got back from a trip that was just over 2,600 miles after doing Rocky's shock install on my 2004 CSC Escapade. I'd like to add, I experienced an extremely bad route (Hwy 7) in northeastern Ohio which was approx. 30 miles. This road was rougher than hell...... With that, along with the entire trip, the suspension held and worked solid and pulled straight as an arrow up to highway speeds of 80mph. I had at least 300 pounds of gear in the trailer. It only takes a little effort for Rocky's shock install saving you an easy $250.00 over CSC insane coil over price. Oh...... did I mention, no more air issues! I like CSC and this being my second trailer from them, I'm hoping that their greed for their coil overs don't send them south in both, as a company but more importantly, their customers. Go with Rocky's install, you won't be sorry. I was in the same boat as you. I feel extremely fortunate that Rocky came into the picture giving his time, help and instruction in getting me up and running down the road. All for less than $100.00!!

Ray. After my 350 # load testing, I figured you'd have no issues with the load you told me you carried.

Glad to read you had no issues with the new suspension.

Not having to adjust air,or worry if a shock leaks gives you great peace of mind while on a trip.

I don't carry as much weight on my trips. But I have been known to get my trailers air born.

I added a spare tire hold down yesterday. (So it can't jump out of the well.)

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	114886Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	114887

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                                        Ray. After my 350 # load testing, I figured you'd have no issues with the load you told me you carried.

Glad to read you had no issues with the new suspension.

Not having to adjust air,or worry if a shock leaks gives you great peace of mind while on a trip.

I don't carry as much weight on my trips. But I have been known to get my trailers air born.

I added a spare tire hold down yesterday. (So it can't jump out of the well.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0788.JPG Views:	4 Size:	286.3 KB ID:	114886Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0789.JPG Views:	4 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	114887
                                        Ahhhh........ Catching some air Haven't been there quite yet......LOL! I like your spare tire hold down. I just may have to add that as well. Stay safe buddy......

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page