Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My weekend ride...

I finally got out of the house for a nice ride with some old riding friends. I thought I would share the route here, as this is what I would consider an excellent example of the fine roads we have close to us. The ride was about 300 miles for me from doorstep to doorstep. About 100 of it was slab, but it was well worth it. The roads were clear with a few exceptions. If you're ever in the LA area, this route is hard to beat in either direction. Temps were over 100 when we got to the bottom of the 'hill', but low 80's at 7000 feet or so. There were a few technical sections, and traffic was pretty light.
    Attached Files
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 RED GL1800

It's almost as if you were there in spirit. We stopped by your restaurant for lunch. Rocky's Roadhouse in Running Springs. Food was pretty good!

https://www.zmenu.com/rockys-roadhou...s-online-menu/
    Costa Mesa, CA
    2012 RED GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

That does look like a good route, I might ride it backwards on my way out of town.

• glarson3
        glarson3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have it saved as a GPX file. It is a good route both ways. Luckily I'm only about 50 miles from both ends of the trip. If you come out I'll ride it with you if you give me some warning. I'll even slow down so you can pass me.

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh - that was mean

Someday, you'll be an old dude, Gary... Hehe!

• biglefti
        biglefti commented
        Editing a comment
        That was mean, but it was funny!

You won't regret it. Just watch your speed on highway 2. They usually give everyone in the group a ticket if you're caught speeding. If you're not the lead bike you can ask them to only give the lead bike a ticket. It is at least worth asking.
      Costa Mesa, CA
      2012 RED GL1800

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        Sadly, he doesn't even hang out on this forum to see the harassment he's (still) getting.

Five years ago, my wife and I did a long weekend up there in his neck of the wilderness - Google Photos reminded me of it a couple days ago.

That's a great idea, what's a school-bus for any ways?

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
        I finally got out of the house for a nice ride with some old riding friends. I thought I would share the route here, as this is what I would consider an excellent example of the fine roads we have close to us. The ride was about 300 miles for me from doorstep to doorstep. About 100 of it was slab, but it was well worth it. The roads were clear with a few exceptions. If you're ever in the LA area, this route is hard to beat in either direction. Temps were over 100 when we got to the bottom of the 'hill', but low 80's at 7000 feet or so. There were a few technical sections, and traffic was pretty light.
        I grew up riding the Angeles Crest Hwy (2) and from my experience these later years it has become a freeway of traffic. Idiots in cars and crotch rocket maniacs and it seems seldom patrolled. I have witnessed a couple cyclists killed in a head on my way up for breakfast. Just a couple years ago I finally had the opportunity to pass a slow driving lady and as I was doing so she decided she wanted to cross over the line to a pull out on the other side of the road. Never a dull moment. The road across the 15 and up to Crestline and Big Bear is much nicer and especially early Sunday morning. It is definitely a nice ride and a good loop early in the day.
        Dave - High up in Arizona - Black Metallic 2019 DCT

I've found that Angeles Crest seems pretty well patrolled. I know a few people who can attest to that. Bravo Foxtrot! I've seen accidents there as well. One was right in front of me. I had to call 911 and give coordinates for the air lift. A lot of people ride above their skill level, or don't stay in their lane. Surprisingly, it was actually pretty light traffic for us, and most motorists would use the turnouts. It really amazed me, as this is not my normal experience. It was about 185 miles of twisty roads all stuck together.
          Costa Mesa, CA
          2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky

Sorry Dave. But you can't judge a road or roads based on what happened in the past.

Some of my best rides are during the week. It's almost like they shut down my favorite roads because they knew I wanted no traffic.

If you ride often enough, you'll know what roads to stay away from on the weekends!.

I have been on S2 with no police presence or any traffic I had to pass in my direction. On week days & weekends too.
            (i've got my share of awards on the road-so I now tend to enjoy the scenery until I'm out of the area to hammer the throttle)

The CHP & Sheriff Dept's patrol very heavily on S2 on the weekends!!!

I've seen my share of squids on a variety of bikes on any given road, So I wouldn't single out Angeles Crest for the Hood to avoid!

BTW. How are you two handling the AZ heat, in your first summer there? (been unusually warm here this year too)
            We had the heat wave up here but it only gets to 90 give or take a degree. The past couple weeks has been in low to mid 80's which is normal and cools down to low 60's and high 50's at night. I have seen where they are sweltering back where we use to live in SoCal.One of the reasons we moved here, I was sick of the heat. At 6,300 feet we have a very nice 4 season climate.

And yes, we even have our share of squids out here on these nice roads we enjoy. Problem I have had is that I broke both wrists falling backwards out of my truck when a handle broke on a heavy potted tree I was loading. My summer has sucked but hopefully will soon be able to ride a bike again.

Sorry to hear about your mishap Dave and I hope you get your knees back in the breeze real soon.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post
                Sorry to hear about your mishap Dave and I hope you get your knees back in the breeze real soon.
                Thank you. My dirt bike and Wing are just sitting waiting for someone to take them out and play.

Dave,

Hope you heal quickly! It was bad enough having one broken wrist. I can't imagine two.
                  Costa Mesa, CA
                  2012 RED GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page