Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Roads

The list of your areas favorite roads to travel would help someone going thru your state to find the best road for motorcycling! Here in Michigan its M22 Just north of Manistee on the Lake Michigan shore, M22 twists and winds it way up along the lake and into the Leelanau Peninsula and the runs back south along Grand Traverse Bay to Traverse. There is also M119 on the north end of Petoskey which goes up thru the famous Tunnel of Trees staying along the Lake Michigan shoreline. If you find yourself at the Mackinaw Bridge in Mackinaw City M23 south goes down along the Lake Huron shoreline down to Bay City and is also a nice ride.
    Life is hard, its harder when your stupid

Seadog, I'm not ignoring this, just don't have the time right now. I'll provide my list as soon as I have a chance; some with graphics.

In the meantime, anyone retired and ride a motorcycle here who might have a few minutes to respond?
    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Come on guys, you know the best roads with the best curves and scenery in you state sit your butt down and write a few lines for the guys touring your state that don't have a clue which roads are the nicest for motorcycling. I know there are more than the 3 roads I put down in the great country so take a little time and let the members know which ones you like in your state.
      Life is hard, its harder when your stupid

Well, in Utah, there's UT. 12 from Bryce Canyon NP Torrey, UT 95 from Hanksville to Blanding, Old 91 from St.George. Utah to Littlefield Arizona. UT 128 from I-70 to Moab.
        In Colorado, any road west of I-25! In Montana, Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Hwy(WYO 296) US 191 south from Bozeman to Island Park Idaho. I road some roads in Wisconsin last year but can't remember the names but it was in the Wisconsin Dells area. Arkansas, any of the roads around Rogers and or Harrison. North Carolina, I tell ya when I get back in June.
        DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
        2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Seadog, It is hard to pick favorite rides in VA so I have listed several that I have enjoyed many times.

Virginia is full of fun roads.First off there is the Skyline Drive which goes into the Blue Ridge Parkway.And then there is the Back of the Dragon which is really Rt 16 from Marion to Tazewell.Of course, just about any route in the mountains west of I-81 is a good road to ride..

I have enjoyed Rt 56 from I-81 east which goes by Crabtree Falls and that offers a short hike to the falls.

Another fun ride is to take RT 39 from Marlinton, WV through Warm Springs and then through Goshen Pass and on to Lexington, VA.Beautiful scenery going through Goshen Pass.You can even try fishing, of course you would need the proper license!

East of the mountains there are many interesting and fun roads all the way the way to I-95.RT 53 runs from Rt 20 east to Palmyra.You can eat at Miche Tavern and visit Monticello, Jefferson’s home.Most of the two-lane roads are good just don’t get to close to the northern VA area.They will normally have a two digit or three-digit route number.Lots of people and traffic.

East of Richmond is Rt 5 to Williamsburg and you can return to Richmond by crossing the James River on the Surrey Ferry and taking Rt 10 west.It is known to locals as the five & dime ride.I have always enjoyed taking Rt 14 from Rt 33 to Rt 360.It I not the most challenging ride but still fun.

Of course, you can always ride to VA Beach and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel over to the eastern shore.Personally, I like to head up to Chincoteague and go to the ocean and see the wild ponies.

Other interesting rides are the Colonial Parkway connecting Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown which is a very historical triangle.And if you get up into northern VA, there is the GW Parkway that runs from Mount Vernon along the Potomac River to beyond the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery.

When entering VA from the west or leaving it to go west, I like to take either RT 33 or RT 250 over the mountains into WVA.Both are still fun, two lane(sometimes 3 lanes) roads.

Harvey
          Ride Safe and Ride Often

I think my favorite roads are in central Arkansas. Rt 16, 21, Push Mountain Road, and my main favorite Rt 123.

New to this site although I have been riding for a while I recently got turned onto a fabulous road starting in Zanesville, Ohio called the 555. The road covers 2 states and is full of twisties and blind hills and you'll absolutely have a aching wrist and be full of adrenaline at the end of this one!
              Not too hard to find. Just south of Zanesville, OH is the very small town of Brush Creek, OH. Just get yourself to Brush Creek and head south on route 555 for about 30 miles till you get to the end point of Chesterhill, OH.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/44...Route-555.html

In Oregon it is hard to pick a favorite road, however, the Pacific Coast Highway is a great ride. There are many paved forest service roads in the area, so riding in the Cascade Range is awesome. Riding in Northeast Oregon is another awesome ride, so it is really hard to pick a favorite.
                Vietnam Veteran 69-70 9th ID
                Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
                Member: GWTA-Oregon

Seadog, my apologies for taking so long to get back to this. Thank goodness soberbiker and Terryj revived the thread or I would have forgotten it altogether.

In the Cherokee, NC area my favorite road/ride would have to be Moonshine 28, followed by the Cherohala Skyway. Obviously the Blue Ridge Parkway is an awesome ride, but I was not at all fond of Skyline Drive. Too many radar guns, 35MPH forever and you paid to “enjoy” all that.

For Dragons, my favorite so far is Back of the Dragon, US-16 from Marion to Tazewell, VA.

In Arizona, 191 from Alpine down to Three Way can’t be beaten, unless you start comparing 89A from Prescott Valley up to Flagstaff. or 260 to 87 down through Strawberry and Rye. Then again, each of them are totally different types of rides; enjoyable for their own reasons.

In Utah, 128 out of Moab shouldn’t be missed, while Colorado has so many good riding roads you’d need a book to write about them all. Well, ~7 months of the year anyway.

Pacific Coast Highway was really good, but my favorite part of our West coast ride was coming out of Gold Beach, OR, up to Reedsport and riding US-38 from Reedsport over to I-5. Absolutely beautiful.

The best Great Sky ride for me was riding across Beartooth Pass; 212 out of Yellowstone over to Red Lodge, MT.

In the northeast, US-9 across New York and Vermont was a very, very pleasant ride. I could go on and on, ....

....but for pure enjoyment and intoxicating aromas, none beat my annual Kentucky Memorial Day Rides. Leaving from Mt. Sterling to Paris to Georgetown through horse country on 460. Circle up to Owenton across 227, 368 (Cedar Road), 127 to 36 back over to Cynthiana, 36 all the way down to near to Cave Run Lake, then 77 to 715 (Sky Bridge Rd), and finally just keep circling on 11, 1057 and 213 back into Mt. Sterling. Folks, that’s God’s Country if ever an acre was.

Bottom line: all across this great country there are miles and miles of some of the best riding on earth. And all it takes to enjoy it is a spirit of adventure, two wheels, and if you’re lucky, someone to ride it with.
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

Highway 36 from Redbluff to Fortuna. One of my favorites, but there is no shortage of good motorcycle roads in California.
                    Costa Mesa, CA
                    2012 RED GL1800

Lot's of good riding around my area but this is still on my to do list, just waiting for things to cool down a little in the valley area. Called the Devil's Highway -

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/az_us191.html
                      Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
                        Highway 36 from Redbluff to Fortuna. One of my favorites, but there is no shortage of good motorcycle roads in California.
                        No doubt this is one of the best roads to ride in Northern California.

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
                          Lot's of good riding around my area but this is still on my to do list, just waiting for things to cool down a little in the valley area. Called the Devil's Highway -

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/az_us191.html
                          I rode that last month when I rode over from NC to Mesa. Awesome ride! Definitely an excellent bucket list ride.

However, do NOT pull off into the gravel pull-offs. The gravel is VERY soft. Trust me on that.

Originally posted by Rocky
                            Dave. Sent you a PM.
                            Received, been on that ride quite a few times over to Springerville and beyond. Going to make that big loop someday soon.

Howdy folks, I know this post is really late and I apologize for that. I don't ride an F6B but rather an 05' Wing but what caught my eye was the title of this post, "Favorite Roads". Here in Texas we have a saying, "So many roads, so little time". But some of my personal favorites in our great state (there's so many to choose from) is what's known as the "Twisted Sisters" loop located down in the hill country region of Texas. Those roads are FM335, FM336 & FM337 and that loop is about 100 miles around, give or take a few miles. And by the way, in case you're not familiar with a road that's called "FM", that means "Farm to Market". So ya'll come down to Texas and check them out, You'll get a kick out of riding them, I guarantee it!
                              TMRA - life member
                              GWRRA - life member
                              AMA - life member
                              IBA # 1626
                              N. Texas PGR

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page