Metzeler Marathon ME888 review. Meh.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metzeler Marathon ME888 review. Meh.

I've had the 888's on my bike for the last 8,000 miles... and I won't be buying them again.

First of all, if you're use to the OEM Bridgestones and switch to these, BE CAREFUL. Maneuvers and acceleration that you could do on the Stones confidently and with plenty of traction will be squirrely and loose on the 888's. Dry traction is MUCH less than the OEM Stones. It's so bad that I never gained enough confidence in these tires to push a little in the rain to test the wet traction. I've been in plenty of rain on the 888's... but super cautiously... so I can't really say how well they'd do when pushed in the wet.

The 888's also sing like a baritone at times. Nothing too loud or annoying; I thought the tire noise actually sounded cool; they are just not dead quiet.

When first getting these I expected less traction because these are touted as high mileage tires. If they actually gave me high mileage I could forgive the bad traction, but at only 8,000 miles the rear is pretty much bald. The front will probably go another 8,000 miles but even so, these numbers are no better than the OEM Stones.

I'm putting on a set of Dunlop Elite 4's this weekend. If these don't pan out with decent traction and higher mileage, I'll be happy to go back to OEM Stones.

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

That kind of surprises me. I have always thought that traction was supposed to be Metzelers strength.

I've been running an E4 for a little over 6000 miles.
    So far, I have no complaints. It seems to be wearing very evenly and I had no issues riding in the rain with this tire.
    1 tire and 6k is not enough miles to know for sure, but what I have experienced so far has been encouraging.
    I have not tried the front yet. The center groove has me hesitant. I have heard from one person that the front is terrible on grooves surfaces, but I also spoke to another that said it was fine.
    I am about due for a front, but I think I may use an E3 until I hear more reports on the E4 front.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I'm sure there are some Metzeler tires built for traction, but definitely not these. Even their online self-ratings give 5 out of 5 dots for mileage but only 3 out of 5 dots for grip and handling.

The 888's are balanced, well behaved, they don't track tar snakes or road grates. There's a lot of things to like about these tires but just not for me.

http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/prod...hon_ultra.html

Here's some tread patterns just for fun. Bridgestone Exedra on the left, Metzeler 888 in the middle, and Dunlop Elite 4 on the right. The top row are front tires. Bottom row are rear tires. The pictures are oriented as the tire would be mounted on your bike; this perspective is standing in front of the bike and looking back at the tire.

The 888's have an awesome looking trad pattern... aesthetically speaking. The lack of a center groove in the front tire, I think, contributes to excellent stability; the 888's never once tracked a groove or felt wobbly in anyway. The Bridgestones on the other hand will track grooves, and since the front Dunlop also has a center groove I'm expecting some tracking with it too.

Brand new Dunlop E4 on the left, ME888 on the right with 8,750 miles on it.

Metzeler staggered the wear indicators on this tire, an example of two are circled in yellow. I measured tread depth at these wear bars in several locations around the tire. Some tread was around 0.9mm, some around 1.1, so lets call it 1mm of tread remaining. The Honda service manual states minimum of 2mm for the rear tire.

I put the new E4's on front and rear today; we'll see how they do.

About 1,000 miles ago I picked up a nail in the ME888 and plugged it. Here's a pic of the plug on the inside of the tire; note those white areas around it. This is some sort of foam that just started bubbling up, seemingly by itself, kinda like a pot of rice that's boiling over.

Idk what's going on but it's not exactly confidence inspiring to see some kind of reaction taking place on the plug. Maybe it's reacting with some Ruglyde that got on it.

So how far did you ride with low air or did you immediately know ie clunk clunk and plug it right away.
            7,000 miles on a compromised tyre isn't bad - is it?
            GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Kiwi, I only put 1,000 miles on the plug, not 7,000, but I'll still take it.

Riding on plugs seems to be another polarizing issue; some say it's fine and others say no. I'm in the middle. I'm ok putting around town on a plug but I don't wanna go fast or far on it.

I like the Met888 tires front and back. California roads have built in pot holes when they roll out a new surface, so not a nice smooth ride most of the time.
                I am on my second front 888, with 19k+ and still miles to roll. Rear tire is a 65 series bias ply 888 for the extra load capacity and I get 18K or so in it.
                I am not an overly aggressive rider, but my side tread goes about the same time as the middle. So far I have had no reason to switch to a different brand after my Goldwing specific mechanic pointed me to these.
                Marc from sunny NorCal
                2008 Titanium Nav (non - ABS)

You dug up an old one. I have an 888 on the front and for me it sticks like glue and wears good. I run 41psi in it. My second one. Darkside on the back.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                  widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X