5 gallon Tourtank on an F6B

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 gallon Tourtank on an F6B

YEEEEEE-HAWWWWW guys! I finally got my Tourtank hooked up today and the thing works great... better than I expected!

This is the 16" long tank with a 10" diameter. I gave my impressions of the tank here auxiliary-fuel-tank; I think I nit picked on some items but overall I'm happy with it and would probably buy another one if I had to.

I have it mounted on a BikeMP3 rack; if anybody wants some detailed pics of how its bolted on just let me know. Just for peace of mind I decided to use some upgraded (grade 8) and longer bolts which thread deeper into the frame than the original BikeMP3 bolts. I did a test run tonight with about 3.5 gallons in the tank and I didn't find any issues. I flicked the hell out of the bike on a lot of twisties and did a lot of high speed maneuvers and I thought the handling was pretty much unaffected; I couldn't tell there was extra fuel back there at all really.

Out on the highway when my low fuel light came on, I flipped the switch and within minutes the light went out. About 25 minutes later, my fuel gauge was reading a tick over a half tank. When I got home I popped the tank lid and looked inside. To my surprise... the tank was virtually BONE dry! I didn't expect this because the bung in the bottom of the tank is not flush... but I guess all the sloshing around was enough to "spill" the fuel over the bung and into the drain hose.

I *think* too that negative pressure, vacuum, builds up in the OEM tank during normal use. Can someone comment on this? If there is vacuum in the OEM tank, then when the aux valve is opened, this would suck fuel out of the aux tank and contribute to the full drain that I saw.

I also wasn't sure if the tank would drain without external venting, but it did. The gas cap is a twist-on vented cap and other than this, the aux tank is sealed air tight. I'm still not 100% clear on how a vented cap works, but I guess it does indeed allow air IN to the tank which is needed for it to drain.... otherwise a vacuum would form in the aux tank and I think the fuel flow would stop.

I'm going to follow the rule of LD riders and do a lot of testing locally before taking this thing on a long haul. I'm incredibly happy at how well this thing works and very stoked about putting it to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00888.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	63031

Name:	DSC00887.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	63032

Name:	DSC00884.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	63033

Name:	DSC00883.JPG
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	63034

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Btw, this is where your fuel level is when the gauge indicates a half tank; it may be hard to tell but the fuel is about 50mm below the opening for the fuel sender. The wetness you see on the tank is WD40 that I used to help the fuel sender plate twist off. I did not use the Honda tool; just a punch and a hammer.

I mounted my bulkhead fitting in a different location than what everybody else does. Mounting this bulkhead fitting below the white connector needs an incredible amount of precision and I think the bottom lip of the OEM fuel tank needs to be trimmed.

Mounting the bulkhead to the right of the white connector is MUCH easier and does not require the OEM tank to be trimmed. If you take your -6AN PTFE washer and slide it up against a couple of brackets on the bottom of the plate, as shown in the 3rd pic below, this is a perfectly simple template for drilling.

This location also does not interfere with the front hook on the bottom of the seat pan. The only downside is that the fuel sender can no longer be disconnected; you have to take the plate off and remove the bulkhead fitting to unplug the sender... but who has EVER needed to unplug their sender?

This location is slightly higher than mounting it below the connector, but as I mentioned above, for whatever physics are going on, my aux tank during initial testing is draining fully.

Name:	DSC00871.JPG
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	63039

Name:	DSC00883_cropped.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	63040

Name:	DSC00874.JPG
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	63041

Name:	DSC00878.JPG
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	63042

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Looks good. Now go get a bag to put around it and stuff the bag will bags of ice to keep the tank cool in the sun.
      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Thanks LR. Yeah I'm still looking into a bag. I'd like to get those hoses tucked away a little more too.

I did another long test ride tonight, and I still don't know how it's doing it but the aux tank is virtually bone dry after a ride. With the "uphill" section of hose leading into the sending plate and a bung in the tank that isn't flush with the bottom, I was expecting to see some residual fuel in the tank.

Great end result with the aux tank. Your trials and tribulations will surely help others.
          It's great to share something and not be stepped on or insulted because some fool doesn't see a need for a modification.
          You know what I'm referring to, George.

Neat installation and cool accessory to have. Thanks for posting

Thanks Terry. I wish I could take credit but I'm standing on the shoulders of other. Special thanks to Firecreek Accessories for posting a great pictorial on how to do this and a detailed parts list.

I drained a full 4.5 gallons out of it tonight with still no issues. In 1,000 more miles I'll tear the bike down for it's 24,000 mile service, and if I don't see any fuel leaks I'm gonna call it good and have some confidence in using it for a long ride.

Thanks Capt. You know, I didn't intend to keep this installed on the bike all the time mainly because it takes away from the sleek good looks of the F6... but I think I'm gonna find myself missing the extra fuel for those times I don't have it on the bike.

Like LR mentioned above, I'm a bit concerned about the fuel heating up in the strong Florida sun, but I'll keep an eye on it and see how it works out.

Paint that toggle switch/petcock black to blend more in with the bike. You know what's it for and which way to turn it, don't need to advertise to others, especially if that is to remain exposed. Run silent, run deep with your setup and it becomes a sleeper. The only thing missing would be 2 .30 cals. popping out of the fairing. Q would be envious.
                  "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

My thoughts exactly! The bright red draws attention where it shouldn't.

I just got my steel braided hose in the mail tonight too. The next time I tear the bike down I'll replace that soft rubber hose with it. Idk if you've ever tried to cut steel braided hose but that stuff really is tough.

Why do I need one of these on my F6B?

I know huh. I don't NEED to enjoy hockey... but for some reason I still go watch the Lightning play.

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
                          I know huh. I don't NEED to enjoy hockey... but for some reason I still go watch the Lightning play.
                          Do you think the Bolts can afford to re-sign Stamkos to a long term extension? (not meant to hijack)

I hope so... attendance seems to be pretty robust over the past few years; hopefully that means there's money.

I just loaded 10.5 gallons of fuel into the bike. Oh boy!

That should take you roughly 350 miles? Where you going next?

Man that is cool!! 10.5 gals wow!! I wish someone would come up with a way to modify the Wing tank for extra fuel without having to put an exterior tank on it. Keep us informed.

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

That should take you roughly 350 miles? Where you going next?
                                    All the way to the tip of the Florida Keys, no pit stop needed Actually, I may hold off on that ride until after the tourist season down there.

I should have about 11.1 gallons in total, the 10.5 is just what I was able to put in it but there should have been about 0.6 gallons in the bottom of the OEM tank. If I take it easy and get 40 mpg (5.9 L/100km) I think I have an easy 400 mile range without running the tank(s) dry.

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post

Man that is cool!! 10.5 gals wow!! I wish someone would come up with a way to modify the Wing tank for extra fuel without having to put an exterior tank on it. Keep us informed.
                                    Thanks for not making me feel like a weirdo happy about my extra fuel

I'm fairly certain that there's a 2 or 3 gallon tank that tucks under the bike, out of sight. One of the trike builders makes it, but being below the OEM tank it requires a fuel pump.

The 10.5 gallons I put in the bike was the first time I had it fully loaded with fuel after installing the aux tank. Good thing I took the slow approach because the next morning I stepped into my carport and smelled a strong fuel odor. After looking around I noticed a wet spot under the bike. Uh-oh. I have a leak! As it turned out, the blue bulkhead fitting was seeping.

After pulling the seat off, I could definitely see wetness. I've had my seat off many times and noticed the shape of the top of of the OEM tank, but it never occurred to me why it's shaped the way it is... until now. If you look at the 2nd pic below you can see that the indentations around the fuel sender plate, the indentations around the fuel pump plate, and the open channel towards the rear of the bike are all intended to capture leaking fuel and then channel it to fall "harmlessly" in front of the rear tire.

This small design feature may seem like a no-brainer and an obvious thing to do, but not so. Thoughtfulness and design details like this just don't "happen". There's conscious thought, deliberate effort, and a passion to make a GOOD motorcycle that goes into little things like this. Way to go Honda!

But anyway, getting back to the leak, after disassembling the fuel plate again, the problem was clear. When I torqued the locking nut on the bottom of the plate, I boogered the PTFE washer and caused the hole to become elongated and ride up the side of the nut. I reinstalled these items but this time used a steel washer between the nut and PTFE washer... and I think this should do it. As an added precaution, I gasketed the bulkhead fitting on the top of the plate with Permatex 518 fuel resistant gasket maker.

I just got it reassembled and fueled back up. My fingers are crossed that I won't see little puddles again tomorrow morning.
                                      _ Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00903.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	63401

Name:	DSC00902.JPG
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	63402

All the way to the tip of the Florida Keys, no pit stop needed Actually, I may hold off on that ride until after the tourist season down there.

Which would be when, next April?

Just kidding, but I assumed that Key West and all stops en route from the mainland are tourist clogged from Christmas Eve until after Mardi Gras?
                                        What about before Thanksgiving, work and personal time permitting of course?

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page