Springtime

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springtime

It's not long till spring will spring. Tell us about your favorite places to ride. Wife and I ride Arkansas several times a year. Northwestern part , Harrison. The Chamber of Commerce actually has some pre-planned routes in a pamphlet that are hard to beat. The routes are named. Two of our favorite are the Peal Ferry run and the Moonshine run. The Ferry route takes you on a Ferry across Bull Shoals. It's about a 25 minute ride on the ferry with great roads on both sides of the lake. The Moonshine run is very remote. The roads are decent though. This is one of the more challenging routes with two sections of 180° switchbacks. They are very sharp. You see some riders "walking" the bike around the corners. There are 7 or 8 routes in the brochure. We have ridden all of them and none were disappointing. They have a lot of scenic overlooks with places to pull off. Some areas offer opportunity to see Elk and other wildlife. Call Harrison Arkansas Chamber of Commerce and they will mail you a brochure free of charge. If you live in the Midwest or are visiting you will enjoy the rides. Harrison is a pretty good size town with plenty of amenities. All the routes return you to Harrison.

Arkansas is great and I have ridden there many times, however where I live in NW Illinois we have some nice roads here and in SW Wisconsin as well.

In Jo Davies County, IL there are several including The Great River Road along the Mississippi River and the most notable Stagecoach Trail Rd. Lafayette County in Wisconsin has WI 78 and County W.
    2014 Black Goldwing Level 3

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Living in the Ozarks we are blessed with great roads also. It's just nice to get away and see something new sometimes.

Living in the Central Valley of Calif. (Fresno/Sanger) for 50 yrs. I was blessed to head out in any direction and ride to Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP. Pacific Coast hwy, Death Valley, and the list goes on and on so it really never got boring to go for a ride. I also had a very good friend (RIP Bob) who lived in Clarksville AR where I would go every yr. for 10 yrs to spend my vacation with him and ride with him as my tour guide. Great times were spent in AR.

Moved to Vancouver WA Dec of 2017 so I've now got a long list of new places to explore. Most are over mountain passes that are all closed due to snow so I'll be exploring the WA & OR coast until the snow clears if it ever does. Been snowing here for the last 2 hrs with the possibility of snow for the next 2 days. I've already made a bucket list of rides that I posted a while ago. Here it is

Well it looks like 2018 has one foot out the door and 2019 has one foot in the door. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 2018 riding year and it would be nice to hear everyone's plans/dreams for 2019. The following are just a few for me.

3 or 4 days around Olympic Nat'l Park in WA
        Crater Lake in OR, been there many times but it never gets old
        Mt Rainier Nat'l Park & surrounding scenic roads
        Some 2&3 day rides along the OR & WA coast
        Possible Rockies Gold
        Would like to get back to AR to ride in the Ozarks again
        Hwy 2 over Stevens Pass in WA and check out Leavenworth on hwy 2 which was recommended by a friend
        Hwy 20 through the North Cascades Nat'l Park
        Meet up with my 3 riding buddies from UT and do some 3-4 day rides to points unknown right now
        I use this site for a reference along with friends recommendations
        http://www.motorcycleroads.com/
        Seeing that I have only lived in Vancouver WA for 1 year I have a lot of exploring to do in WA

I hope everyone has some great rides planned for 2019
        Cheers
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
        Jimi Hendrix
        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• RoadRat
          RoadRat commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes pretty ambitious list and I hope I'll be able to accomplish the entire list.

• ShooterF6B
          ShooterF6B commented
          Editing a comment
          It's good to have goals. Give you something to look forward to.

Sounds like you have a busy summer planned. That snow will be gone pretty soon.

My 48 State ride last year was somewhat of a scouting ride; there's a LOT of regions on both sides of Big Muddy that'd be fun to revisit, but I'm not certain this year I'll be east of the Mississippi River - on two wheels.

In fact, I bypassed Beartooth Hwy on purpose. It's absolutely no fun at all in doing that road in the dark, but that, along with other areas of Idaho and eastern WA & OR might be enjoyable.

I'm a little concerned about the road surfaces. I was in Cincy weekend before last. It was 410 miles of the worst potholes and delaminated pavement I have ever seen. I wouldn't ride that on a bike for any amount of money right now. Hwy 70 from St Louis to Indy was the worst.

I've got hundreds of favorite rides depending on what part of the country I'm in, but there is only one that comes to mind when I think of springtime; one that soars above all my others. There are no more aromatic rides than riding through Ky horse country in the Spring. I dubbed it "intoxicating" when I caught myself leaning back, closing my eyes and just breathing in the air. (Scared the crap out of me!)

Leaving out of Mt. Sterling my brother and I take 460 through Paris and Georgetown, out towards Stamping Ground to Owenton, across to Cynthiana and Flemingsburg, down through Salt Lick and Cave Run Lake and back around through Frenchburg to Mt. Sterling. A five hour ~250 mile ride supreme. Now truthfully, the first third is the horse country portion that smells so good (we always try to ride it on Memorial Day weekend during the first of the Spring season mowings), but the scenery through the rest make up for the lack of equivalent aroma. We'll be doing it again this Memorial Day weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_Day_Ride.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	111635
              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Clay it is pretty. I used to ride 121 south down to Paris TN quite often. And the grass smell is great in the spring. It's a pretty state. We would take side roads up towards Paducah sometimes and make a day of it.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
                  Clay it is pretty. I used to ride 121 south down to Paris TN quite often. And the grass smell is great in the spring. It's a pretty state. We would take side roads up towards Paducah sometimes and make a day of it.
                  You're making me wish it was the end of May already.
                  2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                  USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                  US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                  2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                  2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page