Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro Hero 8 Black Windshield Mount Test

Testing GoPro Hero 8 Black picture stabilization on a windshield mount.

#GBeWinginIt #GoProHero8Black # HondaGoldwing
    https://youtu.be/yUILtfrb27I

Wow Gil. How smooth a vid. I’m looking to get a Hero 7 black mounted the mirror. But gee whiz, your hero 8 mounted to the inner shield wing looks great.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

The Go Pro is a waste of time.

The things that makes it suck for me, is the short video times. before it cycles to the next video.

That's BS. It should record continuously until the card is full!
      Or until I stop recording!!

It screwed me out of some real good riding footage with friends.

Go Pro will never see any of my money again.

OTOH.
      Here is a few videos for the different model comparisons.
      To see what the New & improved vs old and Crappy changes are for you to ponder what is out there.

**You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
      I whispered back "Bring Beer"

What would be the average record time uninterrupted on one of these contraptions? Are we talking minutes or hours or is it more complicated than that?

I know nothing about GoPro’s but would really like to capture some upcoming riding I have planned come spring.

Originally posted by RPinkit View Post
          What would be the average record time uninterrupted on one of these contraptions? Are we talking minutes or hours or is it more complicated than that?

I know nothing about GoPro’s but would really like to capture some upcoming riding I have planned come spring.
          For some odd reason. each video is 18-21 minutes before it stops recording, and starts another video.

The problem I have is, it's intermittent. Not continuous.

There are big gaps from one video to the next.

What I have learned to do (Which is stupid on Go Pro's part)
          Is start recording when I know what section I want to record what is in front of me.
          or capture who is in front of me.

To me that defeats the purpose of a recording device.

I can leave my I-phone on. and it doesn't stop recording until I stop it.

The Boss asked if I wanted a newer model GP for Christmas.

I look at her and said "What did I do to you??" nuf said!!
          **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
          I whispered back "Bring Beer"

• RPinkit
            RPinkit commented
            Editing a comment
            20 minutes just isn't going to do it on a ride. Maybe to the grocery store.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          That's BS. It should record continuously until the card is full!
          Or until I stop recording!!
          RTFM, Rocky.

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gop...t-video-files/

"GoPros using memory cards are trying to retain maximum compatibility to work with other types of computers, devices, and microSDHC cards"

Now, personally, the GoPro software sucks a large pile of crap, IMO. I want to think that's part of the issue.

4000+ miles of riding in 8 minutes...

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

• RPinkit
            RPinkit commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you kwthom for making sense of what’s going on. When you get some time, tell us what is the issue with the GoPro software. I’m assuming you are referring to their editing software?

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't find their software intuitive at all (yes, the editing, but also the file import function as well...), and I *had* to find a work-around. I did.

It's called 'don't use it'. My Hero Session (the original one...) hasn't had a firmware upgrade in years, thus I don't want or need that bloated GoPro software on my machine.

I remove the media card, load it onto my computer, then manipulate/edit with other software.

Since *most* of what I record are LD rides (like the one above...) I'm only taking stills.....tens of thousands of stills. From there, creating the 'stop action' video above is easier.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            kwthom. I schooled myself long ago on why Go pro does what it does. I even called them.
            I told myself my GPH4 was a limited use recording device as far as I was concerned.
            In other words a waste of money.

Had I known then,what I know now about go pro. I would of had the Boss return the gift for her money back.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

For some odd reason. each video is 18-21 minutes before it stops recording, and starts another video.

The problem I have is, it's intermittent. Not continuous.

There are big gaps from one video to the next.

What I have learned to do (Which is stupid on Go Pro's part)
          Is start recording when I know what section I want to record what is in front of me.
          or capture who is in front of me.

To me that defeats the purpose of a recording device.

I can leave my I-phone on. and it doesn't stop recording until I stop it.

The Boss asked if I wanted a newer model GP for Christmas.

I look at her and said "What did I do to you??" nuf said!!
          Could be that the GoPro is heating up and the SD card can't handle it. This happens in dash cams where windshield mounted cams get really hot and some brands tolerate the heat build-up better than others. Have you tried using different brands in the same conditions?

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            No.

It's a file size issue with GoPro stuff. The link I posted above in post # 6 explains why it does what it does.

Other camera vendors may or may not experience this issue, I have zero experience with them.

Generic question, what is the point of filming yourself with rearward view? Are people just wanting to see their actions and reactions to situations? Watch the passenger?

That being said, I am still tinkering with with my blackvue camera. Yes it records in either 1 minute or 3 minute segments. Someone said here that is a PITA and I agree. But its supposed to be safer for data protection. My previous camera (Contour) was better for recording longer but had data corruption. And the company going out of business didnt help.

Anyway, my Blackvue that Im tinkering with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flW0...ature=youtu.be

• dxlnt1
            dxlnt1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Fair enough. I didnt consider like cruiseman with the full story thing so I regress.

At any rate, m setting mine to just be able to "see" what I see. The road in front and behind. But the OP video is smooth and I like the features the GoPro offers. But for me I wanted more stealth

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            All it takes is a bit of time to look at various videos people have taken while on a motorcycle. You'll then understand; there's really only so many ways of telling a story on a motorcycle without being boring.

That is the trickiest part of the whole process.

Luck to ya!

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post
          Generic question, what is the point of filming yourself with rearward view? Are people just wanting to see their actions and reactions to situations? Watch the passenger?
          Think it thru - you'll get the answer...

There's literally only a few shot angles that are feasible on a motorcycle. You can pony up the coin, and do what other on YT do (like Cruiseman and others...) with multiple cameras angled in such a way that you get multiple shots, then edit it all together to create your story.

...and that's what it really turns into - just what story are you trying to tell someone when the project is complete? Sure, sometimes those 'look at the rider riding the motorcycle' shot are compelling, particularly for someone that may be new to riding...but for those that are into riding, maybe not so much.

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            The way I'm telling a story is so vastly different than others, yet the technique I'm using to tell the story is nearly as old as film making itself.

Originally posted by dxlnt1 View Post

That being said, I am still tinkering with with my blackvue camera. Yes it records in either 1 minute or 3 minute segments. Someone said here that is a PITA and I agree. But its supposed to be safer for data protection. My previous camera (Contour) was better for recording longer but had data corruption. And the company going out of business didnt help.

Anyway, my Blackvue that Im tinkering with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flW0...ature=youtu.be
          Nice set-up. What model Blackvue are you using? I've got one installed in my car (650s dual), which is not weather proof.

• dxlnt1
            dxlnt1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine is the DR-900. It isn't waterproof either. But my logic is since its mounted under the fairing there is no chance for water pool around it either stopped and especially moving.

What I havent fabled up yet is dome sort of protector in case debris hits camera. So 1x2 inch piece of plexiglass will suffice. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Hello All, I'm experiencing exceptional success with this setup. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/hNKiiC5jtvs

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page