Don't like someone's posts? Ignore them!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't like someone's posts? Ignore them!

I get a lot of PMs and emails about people being offended by some fellow member's posts. Did you know that there is an option on TheGLForum which allows you to never see a post from an offending member?

You can add any member's username to the Ignore List. To access this feature, go to User Settings/Account (tab) and scroll to the bottom of the page. Type in the username of the member who you wish to "ignore". It's THAT SIMPLE.

In the example below, I have chosen to ignore the user "glforumtest". You can ignore as many members as you wish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ignore.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.2 KB ID:	91166

I point this out because many members' first reaction is to ask me to "ban" another member from the forum, which is the most extreme enforcement there is. Banning is a measure that I always exercise with extreme caution. In the nearly four years of this forum, I have only had to ban a handful of members, unlike some other forums which ban members at the drop of a hat.

Bickering - I don't like, but it is the reality on today's social media. You have to have a thick skin to play online today. If you are easily offended, you may not be a candidate for online forums.

Insults - Occasionally members will post something insulting another member. In most cases, the insults will fly back-and-forth until they play themselves out, and no action needs to be taken. However, if an insulted party feels aggrieved and personally harmed by an insult, and informs me of the thread (no, I don't always read every single thread), I will typically take down the insulting post(s). At times I have even been forced to take down an entire topic, or close a topic to new posts. If the insults continue into other topics, I may have to ask the member posting the insults to back off.

Threats - This is where I reach the limit of tolerance. If a member threatens another member with violence, it just cannot be tolerated. This has only happened once to my knowledge on this forum and the member posting the threats had to be banned.

Spam - If a member posts SPAM (typically a post with nothing more than links to other websites), they are banned immediately.

We have added a LOT of new members lately, and I suspect we will adding many more with the introduction of the new Gold Wing. Those who are new to the Gold Wing community would rather be part of a dynamic, new forum, rather than an old, tired forum that has run its course. We have a real opportunity to make this a huge community of positive, exciting enthusiasts. But, YOU GUYS (and gals) are the one's who will make it happen. Just try to show respect for every other member, even if you disagree with them.

And, if a member posts something you don't like, just IGNORE them!
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

So, we can call some one a "Snowflake" ; )
    2016 GL1800 Candy Prominence Red leval1-bought August 24th,2017
    Clinton,Illinois

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Markcuda View Post
      So, we can call some one a "Snowflake" ; )
      Sure, go ahead

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Originally posted by 15Wing
        can we delete our own thread or post? edit? just out of curiosity
        This was a feature previously reserved for Active Members (those with more than 25 posts). However, we have just made this feature available to ALL Forum members. Only 100 Members or above can delete their own Topics, but anyone can delete their own posts.

• Road Glide
          Road Glide commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds great. How do I edit or delete a post?

Nicely put, Chris.

Real-life is away from a keyboard. It's not what happens on the screen.

I've put this feature to good use this week! A much nicer site with only the removal of one. Reminds me of the Gila Bend, AZ sign , population xxx and 6 old crabs. Fortunately we only had one here that I never saw a single productive post from. Ahhhhh!!!

Working...
          X