2018 - Planned Rides - Post 'em Here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clay, and anyone else for that matter, be extra careful Memorial Weekend, it's the 1st holiday in summer and people will be doing stupid sh*t!
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• RoadRat
      RoadRat commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, that's one holiday that I try to stay off the roads on the bike.

• clayusmcret
      clayusmcret commented
      Editing a comment
      Aye, careful she be.

Finally going to hit the Devils Highway, US191. Riding from Show Low over to Alpine then down the road to Morenci. Not sure of the return loop as we are riding with a group of people who have come down from Colorado. Should be a long day and then the following day over to Sedona. Weather is going to be on the warm side.
    Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
      Finally going to hit the Devils Highway, US191. Riding from Show Low over to Alpine then down the road to Morenci. Not sure of the return loop as we are riding with a group of people who have come down from Colorado.
      There may not be a lot open on Sunday or Monday in Morenci (food-wise...)

Take AZ-78 into New Mexico to US-180, then 180 will take you back to Alpine, AZ.

Gas available in Morenci, Three Way (at the AZ-78 junction), and Alma, NM.

It *is* a pretty ride - you will thoroughly enjoy it!

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
        There may not be a lot open on Sunday or Monday in Morenci (food-wise...)

Take AZ-78 into New Mexico to US-180, then 180 will take you back to Alpine, AZ.

Gas available in Morenci, Three Way (at the AZ-78 junction), and Alma, NM.

It *is* a pretty ride - you will thoroughly enjoy it!
        That is what I am hoping the others want to do, thanks for the tip.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Well....how was it???

Originally posted by 530ktm View Post
        Finally going to hit the Devils Highway, US191. Riding from Show Low over to Alpine then down the road to Morenci. Not sure of the return loop as we are riding with a group of people who have come down from Colorado. Should be a long day and then the following day over to Sedona. Weather is going to be on the warm side.
        Although you've probably already done the ride, my personal preference is to ride 191 uphill. I just prefer fighting gravity on really twisty roads, and it puts many more of the shear drop-offs on the other side of the road in case I do something stupid. So when I hit Alpine I have breakfast at the Bear Wallow Cafe, then go into NM and ride downhill on 180 to 78 and come back into AZ. Be aware that 78 has 2-3 water crossings which typically are not an issue, but with the water that Hurricane Bud dropped on us this week, the crossings might be flowing.
        * Brian & Brenda * IBA 50053 & 50354 * 2002 Gold Wing
        * Founding riders of the Atomic 1000 SS1K
        * Tour Of Honor riders since 2012

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope Dave didn't drop off one of those shear drop-offs! :O

Just got back from a 2,200 mile trip to the Black Hills of South Dakota. Trip report is forthcoming.
        Robert "Trip" Hilliard
        2006 Goldwing GL1800 Level 2 "Cisco"
        AMA # 3539665
        Blue Knights #59055
        rehilliard.net/hondagoldwing.htm

Originally posted by LD Rider View Post

Although you've probably already done the ride, my personal preference is to ride 191 uphill. I just prefer fighting gravity on really twisty roads, and it puts many more of the shear drop-offs on the other side of the road in case I do something stupid. So when I hit Alpine I have breakfast at the Bear Wallow Cafe, then go into NM and ride downhill on 180 to 78 and come back into AZ. Be aware that 78 has 2-3 water crossings which typically are not an issue, but with the water that Hurricane Bud dropped on us this week, the crossings might be flowing.
          We made the trip down but not all the way, got too hot for some of the others I was with, 11 bikes total. So I got to go down and then up but will plan on the entire loop some time when cooler. We eat at Bear Wallow often, make a loop from home to there and back the other direction.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page